Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Mortgages & Endowments > Advice Needed - Nationwide Mortgage Declined - An... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Advice Needed - Nationwide Mortgage Declined - Any Hope in Appealing?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,078
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
holatara
Old 17-09-2010, 3:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Question Advice Needed - Nationwide Mortgage Declined - Any Hope in Appealing?



My OH and I applied for a mortgage with Nationwide. We originally had 15% deposit and were requiring 145k. My OH already owns a house, is self employed and earning around on average 40k a year net with perfect credit. I earn 26k, am a first time buyer and, unfortunately have one 5 1/2 year old default from an old mobile phone (I was young and foolish!).

We have gone through a mortgage broker who declared the default to Nationwide and said keep your fingers crossed. Obviously weren't crossed tightly enough as it came back declined - reason being high risk.

This was 2 weeks ago. I have since settled the balance of the default (351) and am awaiting my credit report to update. Our broker is sending my proof of payment along with a letter of explanation to Nationwide. We also now have 25% deposit. What do you think our chances of the appeal being successful are? The broker reckons it's good as our LTV is now 75% and although the default will still be showing on my report , as it's now satisfied and 6 months away from dropping off it may, just may be overlooked?

Any advice would be great guys! Thanks in advance!
holatara is offline
Report Post
# 2
originalmiscellany
Old 17-09-2010, 5:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,541
Default

Hmm...

If a) your OH has a mortgage on his house (you don't state that I think), then his salary will be seen to be servicing that mortgage (in part),
then b) 26k salary to 145k is going to be rejected as it's a huge amount - almost 6 times your salary (if my mental maths is right)

Does your OH have a mortgage on his house, and if so how much?
originalmiscellany is offline
Report Post
# 3
TrickyDicky
Old 17-09-2010, 5:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 643
Default

I dont think it will fall off in 6 months. I think it is 6 years from when the default is settled (assuming I understand you only settled it within the last 2 weeks). But it is not for alot, so shouldnt affect you majorly.

Good luck with the appeal. With 25% deposit, you may get a better deal elswhere anyway.
TrickyDicky is offline
Report Post
# 4
holatara
Old 17-09-2010, 5:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmiscellany View Post
Hmm...

If a) your OH has a mortgage on his house (you don't state that I think), then his salary will be seen to be servicing that mortgage (in part),
then b) 26k salary to 145k is going to be rejected as it's a huge amount - almost 6 times your salary (if my mental maths is right)

Does your OH have a mortgage on his house, and if so how much?
Hi. He does have a mortgage, outstanding c. 100k. He has tenants living there, their payments cover the amount he's paying for the mortgage so the broker said that should balance it out. Is that right?
holatara is offline
Report Post
# 5
holatara
Old 17-09-2010, 5:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
I dont think it will fall off in 6 months. I think it is 6 years from when the default is settled (assuming I understand you only settled it within the last 2 weeks)..
Oh no!!! My understanding was it fell off 6 years after the default was registered?
holatara is offline
Report Post
# 6
holatara
Old 17-09-2010, 5:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmiscellany View Post
Hmm...

26k salary to 145k is going to be rejected as it's a huge amount - almost 6 times your salary
We are now looking for 130k as got together some extra for the deposit. Sorry, I know it's complicated!
holatara is offline
Report Post
# 7
markd1982
Old 06-10-2010, 5:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDicky View Post
I dont think it will fall off in 6 months. I think it is 6 years from when the default is settled
I believe that all credit referencing agencies say that a default will come off your credit file 6 years from the date of default and not date of settlement.

Hope this helps and good luck
markd1982 is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 9:42 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 17 December 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
  • Homes in Council Tax bands H and I will be included in the new Flood Re insurance scheme from next year, the Govt has announced today
  • Want to eat out for £5ish? Of course you do, full details in our Deals Hunters blog: http://t.co/OwyziST0dr #dealshunters
  • RT @MSE_Deals: Get £20 off when you spend £100 or more on technology or home electricals at Tesco Direct with online code. Ends Sun http://?