Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 17th Sep 10, 6:16 AM
    • 17,084Posts
    • 132,744Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Shabby Chic; Volume III
    • 17th Sep 10, 6:16 AM
    Shabby Chic; Volume III 17th Sep 10 at 6:16 AM
    Good morning I've had a request to start a new thread, so here it is - enjoy

This is a new thread dedicated to all things shabby chic. Think traditional english style mixed with new england, Cath Kidston, Laura Ashley and reusing/repainting old furniture to fit in with this style.

The old thread is here; I'll close it once everyone has found this one.

DD and I have been restoring a Freecycled ottoman chest, for her to put her sewing stuff in. I'll see if I can add photos

Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert: Thanks to Penelope Penguin for starting the latest shabby chic discussion. Click reply below to take part. If you haven’t already, join the forum. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 21-05-2013 at 5:02 PM.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Page 323
    • Bibbitybob
    • By Bibbitybob 8th Jan 17, 2:34 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    Bibbitybob
    Afternoon all,

Many moons ago I used to post on the shabby chic thread.

After being pretty much banned from buying new furniture/bits to paint we've almost completed our loft conversion so there's no stopping me now :rofl:

I'm blogging about it again, but used to love chatting and sharing projects with everyone on here, so I'm hoping there's still some homes and furniture lovers around here still!

• pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Jan 17, 2:43 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hi Bibbitybob . It's been pretty quiet on here for a while which seems to be the way until the sun shines and people come out of hibernation .
    I'd be interested to hear about your projects and also to catch up on other posters .
    Just going to mention this thread to a poster on another thread so if you've ever upcycled a kitchen you could be of help .
    polly
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th Jan 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Bumping again for pa ja . It's worth bookmarking the page
    polly
    • choille
    • By choille 10th Jan 17, 8:16 PM
    • 5,547 Posts
    • 27,083 Thanks
    choille
    Hi Polly - I did a kitchen in our new build & got a 'new' load of cabinets off Gumtree very cheaply. I sanded them - they were wood effect & painted them a pale mauve-grey and used crazed pottery handles on the top corner of the cupboards. I bought a 2nd hand Laura Ashley cabinet - cupboard with a dresser back painted that to match & applied matching pottery handles on the top corner of the cupboard doors. So it took a few coats, but still worth it and it's all wearing well so far. Used the remainder of the Gumtree units in the utility with a 2nd hand worktop that someone gave me for free. I used the handles that came with the cabinets in the utility. All the kitchen & utility units cost £100 with the handles - I still have some left over. The Laura Ashley unit was nearly £200 off Gumtree, but I think it had cost about £1,200 new.

I haven't distressed the units, but did want a hand painted Shaker style of look which I have achieved, but at a fraction of what it could have cost. I'm pleased with it.

Next project - finish the house, but I bought some chairs & foot stools - heavily carved in a hard wood - think they are Indian. Not ancient, but ornate. The upholstery is done & I need to redo that and some minor repairs to the actual wood. I would like some good upholstery fabric, but don't know where to look - any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th Jan 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hi Choille I bumped the thread for Bibbitybob and then twice for a poster on in my home . She is the one who wants to renovate her kitchen .
    Sadly it's the winter quiet spell on here but hopefully a few will find their way over while we're on page one of the OS thread . It sounds as if you can give her lots of advice . I will try to pop back at the weekend and see how things are , enjoy your renovating
    polly
    • choille
    • By choille 10th Jan 17, 8:38 PM
    • 5,547 Posts
    • 27,083 Thanks
    choille
    Winter's a good time for projects with the dark evenings. Or plotting & planning them!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th Jan 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Sorry I missed the bit in your post about upholstery fabrics and haven't mastered editing my posts
    I have bought from a number of online sites . Kingdom interiors have a large suggestion and I've found cheaper sources of those fabrics from other sellers .
    As you're a Laura Ashley girl have you thought of looking at their upholstery fabrics ? I wait for the sales which they seem to have very often and get between a third to half off .
    That was a bargain kitchen you created . You must be so happy .
    polly
    Sorry that should read selection not suggestion , don't know how I managed that
    • choille
    • By choille 10th Jan 17, 9:10 PM
    • 5,547 Posts
    • 27,083 Thanks
    choille
    I did splurge on a granite island unit that I got in a clearance sale, so I did do some spending, but when I see what complete new kitchens cost I couldn't/wouldn't ever go down that route I doubt. It just doesn't do it for me - look wise or costs wise.

Thanks for the fabric tips - I'll take a look.
    I did end up looking at a site called timorous beasties, but £300+ for a metre of fabric is just pop star prices - fabric gorgeous, but how can anyone normal pay those prices? Makes me want to look at hand painting fabric or somehow concocting something, but I doubt I could.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 10th Jan 17, 9:21 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Choille Did you post on the greenfinger thread ? your name rings a bell but I can't remember where from .
    I agree about overpriced fabrics , nothing is worth silly prices . I've found wool.linen and cotton fabrics top quality and at good prices . In fact anyone looking for wool fabrics can take a look at the recycled wool blankets sold by the national trust , brilliant for cushions , footstool covering or just throws . You can choose the colours in the nt outlets or take pot luck online .
    Anyway I'm wittering so will say goodnight and see you soon .
    polly
    • choille
    • By choille 10th Jan 17, 9:37 PM
    • 5,547 Posts
    • 27,083 Thanks
    choille
    I sometimes have, but usually Daydream Fund challenge.

Thanks for the tips about the NT - that's worth a look - cheers again.
    • Bibbitybob
    • By Bibbitybob 13th Jan 17, 8:29 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 3,937 Thanks
    Bibbitybob
    Thanks for bumping the thread up for me pollyanna! I've been sorting out little man's bedroom this week - not much shabby chic'ing going on but I did colour my own cotton ball lights to go in his room (so cost me £3.99 instead of £30!).

Regarding upholstery fabrics choille, have you looked in store at Laura Ashley? I've seen fabric offcuts in their bargain bins before that are quite a bit cheaper than usual. Other than that, I buy bits off eBay as it's usually cheaper than bricks and mortar shops.

• choille
    • By choille 13th Jan 17, 9:04 PM
    • 5,547 Posts
    • 27,083 Thanks
    choille
    Thank you Bibbitybob, I will look at LA when I'm over in town next week.

Good for you colouring the light shades.

Used to live nearish a Reject shop that had a massive fabric section that I would get material from - must google it to see if it's still on the go.
    Ebay is interesting-ish for fabric, but I want to kinda feel the thickness of it. But if I see owt that I think would do I might ask for a sample before ordering the lot I need - which will only be a few metres. But don't want to get something not suitable.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 20th May 17, 11:59 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Bumping the Thread
    polly
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 21st May 17, 9:00 AM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    Hoploz
    Hello everyone. I havent posted here for ages but I have had a little success with a shabby chic item this very week in fact!

I bought a little pine decorative shelf unit, country cottage style, you know the kind of thing, from a friend when her mum was moving out of her house to downsize. I sanded, primed and roughly painted it and it looked really nice. But after all my work hubby didn't want it up and tbh there wasn't an ideal place to put it. So it sat under the wardrobe for about a year.

Been having a clear out lately and speculatively put it on eBay and I'm delighted to say it sold after only a couple of days! I've got a great price for it and the lady collecting seemed really pleased with it! So smiles all round

Looking for other small pieces to do the same with now!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 21st May 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 14,860 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Good to see you Hoploz . I love those decorative pine shelves painted up . I have three in different room and one waiting for the day when I get time to turn the smallest spare bedroom into a sewing / craft room .
    I've been hoping to do it since 2012 and real life keeps happening instead .
    My favourite shelf is in the main downstairs room and is a flat white painted one , not distressed . I think it's up in the top 5 of my favourite pieces and not to be parted with .
    I do pale neutral walls thing and play around with different coloured soft furnishings . Winter mode is lots of red , grey , white and silver and putting all the tealights , stitched hearts , ornaments and other bits and pieces on that wall shelf is my favorite bit of getting ready for Christmas . Apart from the obvious christmas stuff it's still in winter mode as life has been pretty full on .I've just added other suitable bits .
    At the moment I'm searching for a very pale grey paint as I'm thinking of using it on the walls . I've tried a ridiculous amount of testers, ones from family and friends stashes and so many seem to have a bit of a yellow or green tinge . I like the grey/blue ones but the seem thin on the ground .
    Selling your piece seems to have been a win , win . You've been spared storing something you can't find a space for and it sounds as though you have one happy buyer and money to help reward your hard work .

Bluebell I hope the little ones and yourself are well . I've wondered if you ever found the time to do any of the things you wanted to .

I'll pop in when I can
    Take care all
    polly x
    • zebedy
    • By zebedy 12th Oct 17, 10:38 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    zebedy
    Not much action on here. I'm thinking that as the nights draw in its a good time to get on with some crafting, up cycling, sewing, knitting etc. What's on your list for this winter?
    MFW2015 number 101,
    target OP £5000, so far have OP'd £2250
    ---------
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
    • DollyDabbler
    • By DollyDabbler 13th Oct 17, 6:16 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    DollyDabbler
    Have just purchased the stuff to have a go at making my own chalk paint as I have a chair ready to paint. i need a china cupboard for my fabric stash and I am thinking about decorating a bedroom so looking at ideas. I enjoy watching "French Connection" and "Money for nothing"
    • Absolock
    • By Absolock 15th Oct 17, 2:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Absolock
    Things pretty much ground to a halt through having to house move to a modern rented house in England while trying to sell our characterful beamed and stone house in West Wales. I brought all the 'brown' furniture including a half-sanded oak two drawers chest I never got around to finishing. We hope to be in a new 'old' house 'by Christmas' so if all goes to plan I'll be getting crafty up cycling as soon as the weather warms up enough to do the sanding outside.

I used to enjoy cross stitching and still have the silks to produce something.

For the winter, though, I think it will be interior decorating and making curtains and maybe a new sausage dog draught excluder. One thing we will need is a lot of book shelving - we didn't bother unpacking 99% of our books, DVD's and CD's so that will be the top of the To Do list.
    Currently buying a house (again).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin