Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 17th Sep 10, 6:16 AM
    • 17,101Posts
    • 132,744Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Shabby Chic; Volume III
    • 17th Sep 10, 6:16 AM
    Shabby Chic; Volume III 17th Sep 10 at 6:16 AM
    Good morning I've had a request to start a new thread, so here it is - enjoy

This is a new thread dedicated to all things shabby chic. Think traditional english style mixed with new england, Cath Kidston, Laura Ashley and reusing/repainting old furniture to fit in with this style.

The old thread is here; I'll close it once everyone has found this one.

DD and I have been restoring a Freecycled ottoman chest, for her to put her sewing stuff in. I'll see if I can add photos

Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert: Thanks to Penelope Penguin for starting the latest shabby chic discussion. Click reply below to take part. If you haven’t already, join the forum. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 21-05-2013 at 5:02 PM.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Page 322
    • bluebellbunny
    • By bluebellbunny 11th Sep 16, 9:20 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    bluebellbunny
    Hi all, I'm after a bit of advice on esp, which one do you all use? I have been using Owatrol which is great but I have only used on smaller items. I have some BIG area to cover now - I have a whole melamine wall in my bathroom and also want to do kitchen cabinets and my huge fridge freezer etc so was wondering if you knew of something better, possibly something I could paint on rather than wipe on with a cloth and wipe off again? Also while I'm here, on the bathroom wall I was thinking of painting a mural, so would like some stronger/darker/brighter colours than you generally find in emulsion, anything you can suggest? And do you think I should seal it afterwards with something? It is a wetroom without Windows so stays quite damp. All advice greatly appreciated
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
    Weight : Start 09/01 @ 152lbs
    Jan -6lbs, Feb -0lbs, March -0lbs
    2012 - 6/26lbs
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 10:27 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hello Bluebell . Owatrol is a standalone esp . I use it on anything I don't want to remove varnish from prior to painting - usually large wooden furniture . I like it because it is quick and goes a long way . I buy mine from Amazon .
    For everything else I use Blackfriars multi surface primer which I suggest you google as you can read all the surfaces it is suitable for . I know it can be used on ceramic tiles and kitchen cupboards so it is worth you looking it up .
    Most of my choices originally came from posts on here from andy crichton . I went on his own blog traditional painter and everything you ever want to know is there .
    I would be a bit dubious painting the windowless bathroom if it gets damp but hopefully someone may post with the information you need .
    I am rubbish at posting links but hope this helps .
    polly
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Just realised I missed the bit about paint types and colours . I am about to go out but will have a think . See you later
    polly
    • bluebellbunny
    • By bluebellbunny 11th Sep 16, 11:35 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    bluebellbunny
    Thanks Polly, I'll have a look for him x
    2012 - 6/26lbs
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 11th Sep 16, 11:49 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hi on my way out but been thinking about the other walls are the walls damp or just the surface ? You can get some excellent bathroom paints now but as you want to use a number of colours it could be pretty costly , you can have pretty well any colour mixed but you can't buy a tester amount of your choice in Bathroom range . To my knowledge all testers are matt emulsion regardless of the type of paint .
    I don't know if you have any ventilation in the bathroom but if you don't it is probably a good idea both health and decor wise to consider an extractor or similar .
    polly
    • bluebellbunny
    • By bluebellbunny 12th Sep 16, 7:05 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    bluebellbunny
    Hi on my way out but been thinking about the other walls are the walls damp or just the surface ? You can get some excellent bathroom paints now but as you want to use a number of colours it could be pretty costly , you can have pretty well any colour mixed but you can't buy a tester amount of your choice in Bathroom range . To my knowledge all testers are matt emulsion regardless of the type of paint .
    I don't know if you have any ventilation in the bathroom but if you don't it is probably a good idea both health and decor wise to consider an extractor or similar .
    polly
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    What do you think about artists acrylic paint, do you think that would do it? It is a full melamine wall - will see if I can upload a pic. I was thinking esp it then paint the mural. Do you think it would need seeling since it is in a windowless wet room?
    How do you add pictures? It's been a while since I've done that! X
    2012 - 6/26lbs
    • bluebellbunny
    • By bluebellbunny 12th Sep 16, 1:21 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    bluebellbunny
    Here's the offending wall! Am thinking of painting a mural but and ideas greatly appreciated...
    [/IMG]
    2012 - 6/26lbs
    • bluebellbunny
    • By bluebellbunny 12th Sep 16, 1:23 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    bluebellbunny
    Obv that didn't work, I'll try again!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    2012 - 6/26lbs
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Sep 16, 1:25 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hi bluebell sorry I have only just get back . I know next to nothing about melamine so don't want to dampen your creative plans but if it was me I would ( if budget allows ) use the easypanel tongue and groove on either the whole area or lower part painting with a good wood paint suitable for bathrooms . If using panels on the lower half you could go to to town with tiles . The tiny mosaics that come in sheets in unlimited colours and sheens could give you free range to plan something unique and mixing with plain mosaics would showcase your design . Not cheap but bargains can be found and very little wastage as you can cut the mosaics apart easily .
    Easi-panel have a website but it is in the diy stores - once again Emma Kate has posts on this thread and her blog showing how she used it .
    I should clarify I am not Ek I wish I was that girl has some very enviable upcycled furniture and a wonderful home that is a result of hard graft and a vision .
    polly
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 13th Sep 16, 2:36 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    Hoploz
    Well I've never seen a room like that before ... Is it a traditional house elsewhere?

I agree, if it were me and I couldn't have a standard wall, I'd cover that over with tongue and groove panels too. It would look much nicer.
    • bluebellbunny
    • By bluebellbunny 13th Sep 16, 4:22 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    bluebellbunny
    Oh my goodness, I just wrote a huge response and it disappeared as I went to post GRRRR! Will try again later but in the mean time thanks for replies x
    2012 - 6/26lbs
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Sep 16, 9:08 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Hi again Bluebell . Realised that in my earlier post I was talking about putting the mosaics above the tongue and groove panels but didn't make that clear !
    I have had another look at your pic and looking at it it looks as plasterboard would look before jointing and finishing although melamine . What struck me is the cistern looks to be concealed behind the melamine as I imagine will be some of the plumbing . I am fortunate to have an access to plumbing via a built in shelf which lifts off if work is needed and my cistern is not concealed but before you decide on that wall was the need to get at pipes etc taken into consideration ?
    polly
    • bluebellbunny
    • By bluebellbunny 15th Sep 16, 4:58 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    bluebellbunny
    Thanks Polly for all your ideas and to be fair ANYTHING would make it look better than it does at the mo hence all my questions and urgency to get cracking, though all the house is awful and I can't stop thinking of other things that need doing everywhere else and never seem to start anything! So anyway, yes you are right, cistern and all pipe work is behind to melamine for easy access and since this is a rental all I can really do it decorate, though I do have free rein to do that. You will see on the joining wall, it is all tiled since opposite the toilet is the shower, it is a wetroom - I also have a bathroom, with bath upstairs which is much the same with the melamine panels which needs a lot of work....along with every other room in this little house! I think my only option for this wall is to paint.....I just don't know? What I would really like would be to move the shower to the upstairs bathroom and make this my utility room...but that's not going to happen I don't think. Another thing I need to think about is storage, as I have none in this bathroom, hence the extra shower rail and hanging baskets of loo roll and shampoos etc. There is SOOO much to think about here and it's totally doing my head in, especially since I have practically zero budget and no time at all! I need HELP....oh and winning lottery numbers please
    2012 - 6/26lbs
    • mandy-loo
    • By mandy-loo 1st Oct 16, 3:37 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    mandy-loo
    Waxed to varnished
    Hello All

I don't want to be a nuisance, but please can anyone help me with these questions that I posted quite a while ago?

Thanks in advance!

A couple of years ago I chalk-painted a pine chest of drawers and waxed the top, without paint. It has now got water damage and cup rings (not by me!!!) and I think it would be better varnished. If i go over it with wire wool and meths, would that remove the wax residue and water marks? Or should I use sugar soap? Any advice gratefully received!

PS How do I add pics?? Tried clicking on the little icon that asks you to add URL of image - which I did - but just the URL appeared when I posted!

Thanks
    • steve 2012
    • By steve 2012 1st Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    steve 2012
    hi mandy, i would be inclined too use an osmo oil and wax.
    its a great product that only needs doing once.
    there are several finishes with matt and gloss amongst them.
    you could wire wool and white spirit and if wood and not veneer, you could then sand it.
    im not certain but believe if you dont remove the wax completely and use varnish it will not leave a good finish whereas osmo will be fine, i use this on all my ercol furniture that i strip.
    • mandy-loo
    • By mandy-loo 8th Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    mandy-loo
    Waxed to varnished?
    hi mandy, i would be inclined too use an osmo oil and wax.
    its a great product that only needs doing once.
    there are several finishes with matt and gloss amongst them.
    you could wire wool and white spirit and if wood and not veneer, you could then sand it.
    im not certain but believe if you dont remove the wax completely and use varnish it will not leave a good finish whereas osmo will be fine, i use this on all my ercol furniture that i strip.
    Originally posted by steve 2012
    Hello Steve2012. Thanks for the advice. I was afraid that I may not be able to remove the wax enough to varnish! I have googled the Osmo and that looks good. I shall see if I can get some here on the Isle of Wight!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Oct 16, 7:05 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Bluebell
    Hi BB I don't know if you solved the wall problem but I had a thought while on enforced bed rest . Have you considered wall decals ? There are some lovely ones available online including ones suitable for wet rooms and bathrooms . Many are quotes with decorative details and they come in lots of sizes . Not quite the hand painted mural you hoped for but it may be possible to alter the look of the wall cheaply and quickly . You have a lot to sort out and I would go for some solutions that wont stress either yourselves or the budget and always bear in mind however relaxed the landlord seems that any improvements you make will be to his financial benefit not yours .
    If you have a fondness for books there are a number of good books about living in rented property and making it home on a small budget . I have bought a few for gifts so if you like I'll check the titles with the owners .
    polly
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 13th Nov 16, 9:48 PM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    Hoploz
    Not sure where to post this so trying here ...
    I've made some lovely roman blinds for my kitchen windows and now they're ready to go up. Which meant me laying awake last night thinking about where to put the cleats so they don't look unsightly. Then looking online the whole child safety thing came up and now I don't know what to do!

The blinds are on the front of the window apertures, not within them. So the cleats will be on show. Safety advice suggests minimum 150cm from floor level. Is this normal or will they look weird with the cleats up high? Would it work to have the cleats at the top so the blind hides them when it's up?

Should I use some sort of breakaway clip? Or could I braid the cords together so it is just one long pulling bit rather than several cords with a loopy pull at the bottom of them.

Aaarghhh these sorts of final details always give me sleepless nights, whatever the project!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,737Posts Today

7,894Users online

Martin's Twitter