Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    StudentLife
    Amazon/NUS Extra Code
    • 27th Sep 06, 7:59 PM
    Amazon/NUS Extra Code 27th Sep 06 at 7:59 PM
    I have just been on amazon and found this message on how to claim your NUS discount:

Take a note of the promotional code as displayed on the NUSextra website.

On the Amazon.co.uk website, select the items you wish to order using your shopping basket (please note you cannot use the 1-click shopping method when redeeming a promotional code).

In the order form you'll see a box that says "Have a gift certificate or promotional claim code?"

Enter your promotional code into the box and click the "Apply" button.

Does this mean that there is just one promotional code e.g. NUSEXTRA or something? If so, would it be possible for someone that has purchased the extra card to log on to the website and post the code here? I realise this is a morally dodgy, but i think it has well and truely been established on this forum that NUS extra is hated by all students. Perhaps it is time for us to start scamming NUS, as they have clearly been exploiting the students.

Please feel free to move/delete this thread if appropriate.
Page 1
  • grex9101
    • 27th Sep 06, 8:19 PM
    • 27th Sep 06, 8:19 PM
    Unlikely, as an NUSextra card costs £10:

http://essexstudent.com/news/article/NUS_extra_card/
    The word is BOUGHT, not BROUGHT.
    It's LOSE, NOT LOOSE.
    You ask for ADVICE not ADVISE.
    • Crazyangel
    • By Crazyangel 27th Sep 06, 9:46 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 2,471 Thanks
    Crazyangel
    • 27th Sep 06, 9:46 PM
    • 27th Sep 06, 9:46 PM
    Maybe its the code you have on your card ? Like the card issue number which is different for each one ?

Wins : McCains garden games set, 2xTickets to Alton Towers, Links of London friendship bracelet, 2xIdeal Home Show tickets, McFly album CD, Virgin Balloon flight for 2 with a case of ScrumpyJack cider and 2 ltd edition jackets, Powerboat racing experience, 50 Virgin voucher, Aerobie Pro flying ring & Rice Krispie squares, Tesco baby pack
    • Gooding
    • By Gooding 27th Sep 06, 11:58 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Gooding
    • 27th Sep 06, 11:58 PM
    • 27th Sep 06, 11:58 PM
    It generates a code for you that you need to print off or write down somewhere. Assuming that you then just pop it in every time you buy with them.
    Any advice given is done so purely on the basis that it be taken as guidance and not a definitive answer to a question. If you are uncertain or confused, always consult your own legal representative.
  • StudentLife
    • 28th Sep 06, 11:14 AM
    • 28th Sep 06, 11:14 AM
    It generates a code for you that you need to print off or write down somewhere. Assuming that you then just pop it in every time you buy with them.
    by Gooding

Oh, i thought it might be something like that, but it was worth a shot. Well, thanks for all your replies.
  • Karnam
    • 29th Sep 06, 8:27 AM
    • 29th Sep 06, 8:27 AM
    is this a 'fair user' policy on the code or can one person use the code loads and loads without question? is the code linked to one account on amazon?

although i might use a code if it became available to me via friends rather than online, i would probably NOT, and i urge you all to do the same, boycott the discounts which are pathetically small for such big corporations and prove nus extra is a failure.

id rather go through nectar estores and get money off my food at sainsburys
    Boots Tart
  • Trevulate
    • 5th Sep 07, 5:22 PM
    • 5th Sep 07, 5:22 PM
    When you receive you NUS extra card you will be required to activate it online
    after this, you will be able to access your AMAZON section on your profile, which will then present you with a promotional code. When you next make a purchase, type (or copy paste) thins code into the promo section of your checkout page, and the 10% discount will be activated. There is no further requirement for you to type the code in for further purchases, as the 10% is registered to your account; however, whether the code expires at the time the card expires I am unsure, as I have over a month left on my NUS extra card. I must say, that if you prefer to buy your goods from Amazon, the NUS extra card is a must. It might cost you 10 pound, but in the long run you will have gained that back in savings!
  • pixiedust
    • 5th Sep 07, 5:28 PM
    • 5th Sep 07, 5:28 PM
    although i might use a code if it became available to me via friends rather than online, i would probably NOT, and i urge you all to do the same, boycott the discounts which are pathetically small for such big corporations and prove nus extra is a failure.
    The discounts may be small, but for some of us, even those 5% and 10% savings are a real help. If you don't want to spend the 10 to get the card, that's your choice.
    **"Cheer up, it could get worse" - I cheered up, and look, it got worse!**
  • AmyGroovy3
    • 5th Sep 07, 5:54 PM
    • 5th Sep 07, 5:54 PM
    other people cant use the code, i registered mine on my mums account becuase i didnt have one, and now i cant use my code on my account- although i havnt bought a new card yet.
  • amanj
    can some1 please PM me the code, i have bought the card today but theres still 1 week before i get the card and thus access the site to get the discount.
  • mummy dumpling
    I got my NUS card from my college student services but can't log on to activate it online. Has anyone else had this problem? It doesn't recognise my email address.
  • Vans_101
    I cant even get an NUS card because our Uni is not affiliated.
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 10th Oct 07, 12:27 AM
    • 3,733 Posts
    • 7,169 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    I put in my code at the start of last years academic yr and it's still registered to me on Amazon - I do have a new card.

You can still buy via Nectar Estores as well - you just don't get as many points cos you haven't spent as much.

Over the last year I've made up my 10 outlay as I must have spent well in excess of 200 on Amazon, not too mention other shops and restaurants.
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    Student MoneySaving Club member 026! Teacher now and still Moneysaving

• charlie12
    • By charlie12 20th Oct 07, 12:39 AM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    charlie12
    I hear this discount is now limited to CDs, DVDs, and books. Can anyone confirm this please?

Cheers
  • luv_or_h8_me
    can I just ask? Do you just enter your promotional code and it gives you 15% off? I can't seem to get mine to work and have emailed amazon and nus extra twice and still not got an answer.
  • nick88
    You only need to enter the code in once, and you can only use the code for one account. Once the code has been entered, you will get the discount on all eligible purchases - CDs, DVDs, and books - it didn't seem to work on a keyboard I bought. Oh, and it's only 5%, not 15%
  • TheWolf2007
    Can someone give me a code please. I have just registered mine for my uni - but it takes a week or so for it to come...
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 28th Nov 07, 4:12 PM
    • 12,602 Posts
    • 9,485 Thanks
    Poppycat
    The Amazon code on NUSextra doesnt work it expired. I got it to work for with a DVD but when I used it again the Amazon site said it had expired.

Get an Extra 5% off Books, Music and DVDs at Amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/1550301

The promotional code cannot be used to pay for Amazon.co.uk gift certificates.
    The promotional code has a cash redemption value of 0.001p and is not transferable or assignable.
    Promotional codes will be valid until 31st October 2007, up to a maximum cumulative spend of ₤1500 including the discount.

• Helix
    • By Helix 28th Nov 07, 4:15 PM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 1,407 Thanks
    Helix
    Can someone give me a code please. I have just registered mine for my uni - but it takes a week or so for it to come...
    Originally posted by TheWolf2007
    You only get one code which is unique to you, so I don't think anyone will want to give you theirs as then they won't be able to use the discount themselves.
  • TheWolf2007
    Well you could use it unlimited number of times, and i guess it doesnt try to match with a credit card or name or something....ahh well Thanks all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,075Posts Today

5,507Users online

Martin's Twitter