IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Amazon/NUS Extra Code
Closed Thread
Views: 63,519
# 1
StudentLife
Old 27-09-2006, 7:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Amazon/NUS Extra Code

I have just been on amazon and found this message on how to claim your NUS discount:

Take a note of the promotional code as displayed on the NUSextra website.

On the Amazon.co.uk website, select the items you wish to order using your shopping basket (please note you cannot use the 1-click shopping method when redeeming a promotional code).

In the order form you'll see a box that says "Have a gift certificate or promotional claim code?"

Enter your promotional code into the box and click the "Apply" button.

Does this mean that there is just one promotional code e.g. NUSEXTRA or something? If so, would it be possible for someone that has purchased the extra card to log on to the website and post the code here? I realise this is a morally dodgy, but i think it has well and truely been established on this forum that NUS extra is hated by all students. Perhaps it is time for us to start scamming NUS, as they have clearly been exploiting the students.

Please feel free to move/delete this thread if appropriate.
# 2
grex9101
Old 27-09-2006, 8:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to grex9101

Unlikely, as an NUSextra card costs £10:

http://essexstudent.com/news/article/NUS_extra_card/
The word is BOUGHT, not BROUGHT.
It's LOSE, NOT LOOSE.
You ask for ADVICE not ADVISE.
# 3
Crazyangel
Old 27-09-2006, 9:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Maybe its the code you have on your card ? Like the card issue number which is different for each one ?

Wins : McCains garden games set, 2xTickets to Alton Towers, Links of London friendship bracelet, 2xIdeal Home Show tickets, McFly album CD, Virgin Balloon flight for 2 with a case of ScrumpyJack cider and 2 ltd edition jackets, Powerboat racing experience, 50 Virgin voucher, Aerobie Pro flying ring & Rice Krispie squares, Tesco baby pack
# 4
Gooding
Old 27-09-2006, 11:58 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It generates a code for you that you need to print off or write down somewhere. Assuming that you then just pop it in every time you buy with them.
Any advice given is done so purely on the basis that it be taken as guidance and not a definitive answer to a question. If you are uncertain or confused, always consult your own legal representative.
# 5
StudentLife
Old 28-09-2006, 11:14 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooding
It generates a code for you that you need to print off or write down somewhere. Assuming that you then just pop it in every time you buy with them.

Oh, i thought it might be something like that, but it was worth a shot. Well, thanks for all your replies.
# 6
Karnam
Old 29-09-2006, 8:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

is this a 'fair user' policy on the code or can one person use the code loads and loads without question? is the code linked to one account on amazon?

although i might use a code if it became available to me via friends rather than online, i would probably NOT, and i urge you all to do the same, boycott the discounts which are pathetically small for such big corporations and prove nus extra is a failure.

id rather go through nectar estores and get money off my food at sainsburys
Boots Tart
# 7
Trevulate
Old 05-09-2007, 5:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

When you receive you NUS extra card you will be required to activate it online
after this, you will be able to access your AMAZON section on your profile, which will then present you with a promotional code. When you next make a purchase, type (or copy paste) thins code into the promo section of your checkout page, and the 10% discount will be activated. There is no further requirement for you to type the code in for further purchases, as the 10% is registered to your account; however, whether the code expires at the time the card expires I am unsure, as I have over a month left on my NUS extra card. I must say, that if you prefer to buy your goods from Amazon, the NUS extra card is a must. It might cost you 10 pound, but in the long run you will have gained that back in savings!
# 8
pixiedust
Old 05-09-2007, 5:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
although i might use a code if it became available to me via friends rather than online, i would probably NOT, and i urge you all to do the same, boycott the discounts which are pathetically small for such big corporations and prove nus extra is a failure.
The discounts may be small, but for some of us, even those 5% and 10% savings are a real help. If you don't want to spend the 10 to get the card, that's your choice.
**"Cheer up, it could get worse" - I cheered up, and look, it got worse!**
# 9
AmyGroovy3
Old 05-09-2007, 5:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

other people cant use the code, i registered mine on my mums account becuase i didnt have one, and now i cant use my code on my account- although i havnt bought a new card yet.
# 10
amanj
Old 04-10-2007, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

can some1 please PM me the code, i have bought the card today but theres still 1 week before i get the card and thus access the site to get the discount.
# 11
mummy dumpling
Old 06-10-2007, 8:08 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I got my NUS card from my college student services but can't log on to activate it online. Has anyone else had this problem? It doesn't recognise my email address.
# 12
Vans_101
Old 10-10-2007, 12:17 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I cant even get an NUS card because our Uni is not affiliated.
# 13
elisebutt65
Old 10-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I put in my code at the start of last years academic yr and it's still registered to me on Amazon - I do have a new card.

You can still buy via Nectar Estores as well - you just don't get as many points cos you haven't spent as much.

Over the last year I've made up my 10 outlay as I must have spent well in excess of 200 on Amazon, not too mention other shops and restaurants.
Noli nothis permittere te terere
Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
Student MoneySaving Club member 026! Teacher now and still Moneysaving

# 14
charlie12
Old 20-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I hear this discount is now limited to CDs, DVDs, and books. Can anyone confirm this please?

Cheers
# 15
luv_or_h8_me
Old 25-10-2007, 7:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

can I just ask? Do you just enter your promotional code and it gives you 15% off? I can't seem to get mine to work and have emailed amazon and nus extra twice and still not got an answer.
# 16
nick88
Old 25-10-2007, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You only need to enter the code in once, and you can only use the code for one account. Once the code has been entered, you will get the discount on all eligible purchases - CDs, DVDs, and books - it didn't seem to work on a keyboard I bought. Oh, and it's only 5%, not 15%
# 17
TheWolf2007
Old 28-11-2007, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Can someone give me a code please. I have just registered mine for my uni - but it takes a week or so for it to come...
# 18
Poppycat
Old 28-11-2007, 4:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The Amazon code on NUSextra doesnt work it expired. I got it to work for with a DVD but when I used it again the Amazon site said it had expired.

Get an Extra 5% off Books, Music and DVDs at Amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...ture/-/1550301

The promotional code cannot be used to pay for Amazon.co.uk gift certificates.
The promotional code has a cash redemption value of 0.001p and is not transferable or assignable.
Promotional codes will be valid until 31st October 2007, up to a maximum cumulative spend of ₤1500 including the discount.

# 19
Helix
Old 28-11-2007, 4:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolf2007 View Post
Can someone give me a code please. I have just registered mine for my uni - but it takes a week or so for it to come...
You only get one code which is unique to you, so I don't think anyone will want to give you theirs as then they won't be able to use the discount themselves.
# 20
TheWolf2007
Old 28-11-2007, 4:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Well you could use it unlimited number of times, and i guess it doesnt try to match with a credit card or name or something....ahh well Thanks all
Closed Thread