Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Slinky_Malinky
    Claiming on Ikea guarantee - advice please.
    • 13th Sep 10, 11:14 AM
    Claiming on Ikea guarantee - advice please. 13th Sep 10 at 11:14 AM
    Hi all,

I have three Ikea Godmorgon mirror bathroom cabinets, they are just over one year old and came with a ten year guarantee.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90147644

Last night I was awoken by a crash and found that a mirror door had fallen off onto my toilet. Obviously the door is smashed, so is my toilet seat and cistern (still usable but big chunk missing on top corner) If anyone had been sat on the loo at the time the possible injuries don`t bear thinking about....frankly it would have been at the very least a serious head injury or maybe even death.

On examination, it seems that the door hinge was only attached to the very heavy mirror door by a blob of glue.The top hinge had come apart from the door, so as the door fell it actually ripped out the bottom hinge from the cabinet.

I would assume the ten year guarantee would entitle me to a replacement door and/or cabinet, but I am not happy with the possibility of this happening again. In fact I would now like to remove all of the cabinets for peace of mind, but I cannot afford to just write off the £500 they cost me.

I know the Sale Of Goods Act say goods must be fit for purpose, etc. but these are my questions regarding my rights...

1. Can I insist on a refund rather than replacement for the broken cabinet?
    2. Can I have a refund on the other cabinets which have not yet broken? In my opinion, the construction makes them unfit for purpose if the hinge cannot support the weight of the door.
    3. Can I expect any contribution to the cost of a new toilet?

I haven`t approached Ikea yet as I wanted to be armed with the advice of the wise folk here first. I probably paid with my Visa card so could involve them if need be.

Thanks for reading,
    Slinky

ETA -they were assembled and hung by my ex-dh, a carpenter with 25 years experience who is very fussy and does things properly so this is not due to poor fitting.
    Last edited by Slinky_Malinky; 13-09-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Page 3
    • Missymavi
    • By Missymavi 10th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Missymavi
    Flaulty ijea mirror cabinet
    The same thing happened to me july 2017
    Ooened the door and if the right door wasn't open to stop it swinging around .it could have been a serious accident .i am really uoset had ni idea poor work manship
    • TKPeters
    • By TKPeters 10th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    TKPeters
    Phone Ikea, report the issue to them & they may offer you compensation.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,295Posts Today

10,828Users online

Martin's Twitter