IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Online Butchers
Views: 10,107
# 1
atsoc15
Old 10-09-2010, 7:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Online Butchers

Hi does anyone use any butcher online. I have had a look at a phew however most seem more expensive that most supermarkets and my local butchers.

just wondering if there is a moneysavingexpert recommended online butcher
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to atsoc15 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
skintbint
Old 10-09-2010, 8:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to skintbint

can recommend Donald Russell - slightly expensive but great when they have deals on, everything comes vaccum packed in a polystyrene box, and the meat is excellent quality.
skintbint x
here's tae us, wha's like us - fell few and and they're a deid"
10k in 2010/£6988.30-69.88%@29/12/10, 11k in 2011/£897 07.04.11- fell by the wayside!!!
12k in 2012 - £204.00 @ 4/1/12

do not confuse me with the other skintbint who joined dec2011 - i am the original bint

Last edited by MSE Investigator; 07-10-2010 at 2:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skintbint For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
JulieGeorgiana
Old 10-09-2010, 9:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I use a local butchers... but they seem to cost a little more... trust me though it goes so much further!

I made 22 meatballs with 500g on mince from the butchers, normally I make 16 with 500g from a supermarket!

That's 3 meals instead of 2... for an extra 50p!

Try it for one month... if it doesn't save you... you can say you tried.

Ps. I have two butchers... one costs a fortune... the other is reasonable... and throw in a free chicken when I spent £50 last month... look around and see what you can find x
We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
Overpayments Made: £4750 - Interest Saved: £10,260 - Months Saved: 22
The Following User Says Thank You to JulieGeorgiana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
geordie joe
Old 10-09-2010, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieGeorgiana View Post
I use a local butchers... but they seem to cost a little more... trust me though it goes so much further!
People always say that, and the reason is always the same, so here we go again!

Quote:
I made 22 meatballs with 500g on mince from the butchers, normally I make 16 with 500g from a supermarket!
OK, you make 16 meat balls from 500g of mince from a super market. If you make them all the same size, each one will weigh 31.25g

You make 22 meat balls from 500g of mince from a butcher. If you make each one the same then each one will weigh 22.73g. That's near enough one third smaller, so it's obvious you'll make near enough one third more.

Quote:
That's 3 meals instead of 2... for an extra 50p!
Yes but each meal fewer meat balls and the meat balls are smaller.

One way you get 2 meals of 8 meat balls, each weighing 31.25g. And the other way you get 3 meals of 7 meat balls, each weighing 22.73g. With one left over to fight over.

Quote:
Try it for one month... if it doesn't save you... you can say you tried.
I'd rather not. I've seen many try it and the only way they can explain why butchers meat "goes further" is by saying they use less.

But you can buy meat from the supermarket, use less, and get the same effect for less money.
The Following User Says Thank You to geordie joe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
snugglepet20
Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I find supermarket meat virtually inedible especially the steak mince as it is all gristly. Butchers meat is better because it is fresher and more likely to be local. The place I buy mine from is actually cheaper than a supermarket (chicken breast £5 a kilo, steak mince £3.50 a kilo) so it pays to shop around.
The Following User Says Thank You to snugglepet20 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
A. Badger
Old 10-09-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepet20 View Post
I find supermarket meat virtually inedible especially the steak mince as it is all gristly. Butchers meat is better because it is fresher and more likely to be local. The place I buy mine from is actually cheaper than a supermarket (chicken breast £5 a kilo, steak mince £3.50 a kilo) so it pays to shop around.
I agree. With rare exceptions, the only supermarket meat I will touch comes from Waitrose - and even then I prefer the meat from the best of the local butchers or farm shops. In particular, I find both Sainsbury's and Tesco's pork and beef a complete waste of time - though an honourable exception goes to Tesco's Finest pork sausages and (for some strange reason) their Finest free range chickens, which are often really good.

Supermarkets do a lot of things right - but I do wish they'd stop selling shoe leather in place of meat!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A. Badger For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
UnderPressure
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katycocoa View Post
I've used this company a few times now and have been pleased with the meat and prices

http://www.meatpacks.co.uk/
Thanks for that they look very good, might have an order of them next month will of course report back
# 8
atsoc15
Old 11-09-2010, 4:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

decided to give meatpacks a try thanks will report back to advise on how good the meat is
The Following User Says Thank You to atsoc15 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
JulieGeorgiana
Old 11-09-2010, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie joe View Post
People always say that, and the reason is always the same, so here we go again!

But you can buy meat from the supermarket, use less, and get the same effect for less money.
Okay... very negative... but I always make them the same size... it's to do with the added water inside the meat and the other rubbish at the supermarkets etc etc!

Plus the butchers meatballs were more filling... and as we have them regularly we should know!

Try the same with pork chops and chicken!

How can you judge if you are not willing to try!
We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
Overpayments Made: £4750 - Interest Saved: £10,260 - Months Saved: 22
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JulieGeorgiana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
rachelrees
Old 16-09-2010, 12:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile I've tried a few and these are the best...

I've tried a few of the online butchers available as I was sick of rubbish supermarket meat.

The best ones I have found are Douglas Willis you will find them advertising on google. I have tried the others, Donald Russell etc but it all comes frozen and I prefer to have it delivered fresh then I can decided what/when to freeze it. Also the pack sizes are way to big for what I want

Douglas Willis also have next day delivery if you order before 1p.m, which the others don't, and I have used them several times for an impromtu bbq or meal

The meat has always been great quality - particularly the steaks! It isn't expensive either and great value as it doesn't seem to shrink when you cook it like the supermarket stuff. My husband won't let me buy meat anywhere else now!

Hope this helps

rach
The Following User Says Thank You to rachelrees For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Triker
Old 16-09-2010, 5:53 PM

Found an offer via quidco on Donald Russell, have a looksy on Quidco for the offer plus 10% cashback
Premium Steak Selection plus Mini Burgers

Exceptional Value

Enjoy 7 generous servings of finest quality grass-fed, naturally reared steak. At this exceptional price, it costs the same as ordinary meat.

Plus 12 Mini Gourmet Steak Burgers, FREE - Perfect for the barbeque!

Box contains:
2 Fillet Steaks, individually packed (minimum weight 160g)
2 Ribeye Steaks, individually packed (minimum weight 250g)
1 Pav! Rump Steak, individually packed (minimum weight 170g)
4 Pav! Rump Medallions, in pack of 4 (minimum weight 280g)

Servings: 7 servings plus 12 burgers
£57.00 £29.00
Plus FREE standard delivery
Save £33.00
DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
It matters not if you try and fail,
And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.

Last edited by Triker; 16-09-2010 at 5:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Triker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
LynT
Old 17-09-2010, 9:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have used Campbellsmeat, good quality, quick delivery, comes fresh so can be split and frozen, have different offers on each month.
The Following User Says Thank You to LynT For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
smod123
Old 18-09-2010, 9:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via Skype™ to smod123

birmingham meat and fish market a place for bargains galore, u walk out there with everything you want and more as they are so good value
# 14
Charliezoo
Old 20-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've used Black Tie Foods and they were great. The meat wasn't particularly cheap but they were huge cuts - the chicken breasts were big enough for 2 people and were lovely quality.
# 15
hex2
Old 20-09-2010, 3:59 PM

clarebarry.co.uk have done very well for me, better than supermarket not as good as my top quality local butcher.
'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
# 16
purplebutterfly
Old 21-09-2010, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Okay... very negative... but I always make them the same size... it's to do with the added water inside the meat and the other rubbish at the supermarkets etc etc!

Plus the butchers meatballs were more filling... and as we have them regularly we should know!

Try the same with pork chops and chicken!

How can you judge if you are not willing to try!

Absolutely agree! I only ever buy my meat from the local butcher these days. Their chicken breasts are double the size of supermarket ones, with no added water, fabulous taste and yet they cost less.

Meatballs and burgers are packed with meat - not bread, rusk and other fillers - so they don't shrink when cooked and because of the density of protein, you need to eat less of them to feel satisfied.
Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
# 17
rachelrees
Old 27-09-2010, 12:14 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Voucher Code

As a repeat customer of Douglas Willis butchers I have been sent a £5 discount voucher to spend during Sept, I thought I would share it with you guys as I don't think it is restricted as far as who can use it!

put in SEPT£5OFF at the checkout and get £5 off - its like getting free delivery!

It is only valid until the end of the month though

Rach.
The Following User Says Thank You to rachelrees For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
joeyboy
Old 04-10-2010, 6:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelrees View Post
As a repeat customer of Douglas Willis butchers I have been sent a £5 discount voucher to spend during Sept, I thought I would share it with you guys as I don't think it is restricted as far as who can use it!

put in SEPT£5OFF at the checkout and get £5 off - its like getting free delivery!

It is only valid until the end of the month though

Rach.
sorry to bump this...

Did you try other online butchers at all? Our local has gone down-hill badly for some reason and the other is a Halal butcher which means...no pork..sausages..bacon.., the horror!

So anyway I've been looking at online alternatives for when we want to treat ourselves. Donald Russell seems very dear compared to the others, even some of it's special offers don't make it the cheaper choice(bar one they have on now). Also I'd sort of prefer I didn't get frozen meat and had the choice as of what to do with it.

So I've had a look at others which seem to be highly rated. Mettrick and sons is one, voted best online butcher in 09. It looks pretty good. Another obviously is Douglas Willis, finally there's Broadstripe butchers. Douglas sausages are much cheaper(though I think it's a special offer), Mettricks is cheaper for some things(mince for example).

I suppose I should slowly try them all...I just can't make my mind up. Have you got any experience with the other two I mentioned?
# 19
milliondollarman76
Old 05-10-2010, 1:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

If you would like to find out what makes a good butcher as well as learn some money saving tips about cheaper cuts of meat i would recommend Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Meat book.

Try your local library. Usually tv chefs books are crap but this has a real depth of knowledge.

With meat you definitely get what you pay for! With a few exceptions the butchers mentioned in this thread tend to be cheaper and so are relatively less reliable on the history/pedigree/maturing of their meat which all affect taste.

My advice would be to use one of the butchers below. They are more expensive but tend to win stars at the "Great Taste Awards" (the only real independent food awards of merit imho).
For example blackface.co.uk/awards

If on a budget buy the cheaper cuts and eat less but better quality meat from these places. The meat boxes are more cost effective than buying individual cuts.

Excellent online butchers:

blackface

graigfarm

rhug

laverstock park

sheepdrove

wellhungmeat

macbeths.com

sjfrederick.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to milliondollarman76 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
PhilCCFC
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have also stopped buying meat from supermarkets because of the poor quality, and have started using my local butchers - Cowards of Frodsham. Great value and excellent quality. I bought 5lb of lean mince, 3lb of pork mince, 3lb of locally reared pork sausages, 5lb of stewing steak, 5lb of chicken breasts(11 in total) and a lovely beef joint for roasting...came to just shy of £50. The freezer is now crammed with home made ready meals, 2 huge lasagnes for bommy night and halloween plus a huge steak and ale pie for bommy night. Yum!
They say that football is a religion, if this is true I worship at the Exacta Stadium, Chester