IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
unfair pcn issued at asda store
Closed Thread
Views: 1,753
# 1
jeremyclark4
Old 05-09-2010, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry unfair pcn issued at asda store

Yesterday on returning to my car in an asda store i found a ticket on my windscreen, stating that a charge of 60 is now due, reduced to 30 if paid within 10 days. I had obtained a voucher from the machine at 09.37 and this voucher expired at 11.37. The voucher was still on my dashboard but had slipped down against the join with my windscreen, probably when i shut the car door as there was no sticky bit to this ticket. On the pcn my car was first spotted at 09.45 and then ticketed at 10.44. Obviously well inside the stated times on the voucher obtained. I returned to the store and spoke with the deputy store manager who stated there was nothing that he could do other than to advise me to send my pcn and voucher off to town and city parking ltd appeals office.
I find it unfair that i should have to persue this matter after spending almost 100 in his store and also feel that if i do what should happen if these items suddenly became lost or misplaced, offering me no course of defence should this matter end up in court. Please help.
# 2
ifonlyitwaseasier
Old 05-09-2010, 1:47 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

just ignore, it, it's not a fine its an invoice requesting you pay
Nonny mouse and Proud!!
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
!!
Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ifonlyitwaseasier For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
taffy056
Old 05-09-2010, 1:56 PM

The ticket is not enforceable at all, you've already paid to park there in any case so there is no loss, my question is how can asda charge for people to shop at their store, an utter disgrace !

Don't by the way appeal the ticket as I can tell you now it will be turned down, also ignore everything related to this ticket as its a scam! Instead write to asda head office with a complaint about this telling them you will not shop there again because they endorse a scam akin to a nigerian 419 phishing operation to harass customers at their shop.

Enjoy keeping your money
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taffy056 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
bromsgrovebarry
Old 05-09-2010, 2:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I just love these retailers that sell their customers down the river to these 'bounty hunters'. I would not bother talking to the store managers who are glorified key holders. Ignore the pond life that issued the 'fine'. As people already have said it has NO legal validity. A strongly worded letter to ASDA head office may be the best course of action and I would be intrigued to know the reply.
Still waiting for Parking Eye to send the court summons! Make my day!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bromsgrovebarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
jeremyclark4
Old 05-09-2010, 2:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thanks guys, but what is the worse case scenario if i just ignore this instance?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeremyclark4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bromsgrovebarry
Old 05-09-2010, 2:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You will get a series of threatening letters designed to scare you into paying. They are just empty threats. Only the Council can issue parking fines that are legally enforeceable. Who are you getting the begging letters from?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bromsgrovebarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
jeremyclark4
Old 05-09-2010, 2:21 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Town and city parking ltd issued ticket yesterday morning. Obviously no letters yet.
# 8
Abbafan1972
Old 05-09-2010, 2:29 PM

I find it shocking also that Asda are charging for parking, unless the shop is part of a big shopping area or retail park, in any case they normally offer their customers a refund on the ticket if they shop there, to stop people just using the car park for free and going elsewhere.

My guess is that the car park is probably owned by a private company and is nothing to do with Asda anyway. Just ignore the ticket and definitely don't pay it.

Just seen the post above regarding ownership of the car park.
Wins for 2012:- DVD, 100 Cheque, Adidas Toiletries, Nintendo 3DS & 2 Games, Smartphone gloves, Leee John book & CD, Pure Sensia Connect Radio
Wins for 2013:- 20 M&S Voucher, Gremlins Blu Ray, 100 ASDA gift card.
Wins for 2014:- BHS 20 Gift Card, W**k sock Village candle melts
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Abbafan1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
bromsgrovebarry
Old 05-09-2010, 2:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Look on the sticky on this forum with sample begging letters from parking scammers. There are two examples of the letters that Town and City issue. Both have no legal validity. To my knowledge, Town and City have not taken anyone to court, their business model is based on fear and ignorance of the law.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bromsgrovebarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
jeremyclark4
Old 05-09-2010, 2:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default town and city

thanks mate, but i have no idea what a sticky is or where to find it. Sorry for my ignorance, as i have only just registered to this forum.
# 11
taffy056
Old 05-09-2010, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyclark4 View Post
thanks mate, but i have no idea what a sticky is or where to find it. Sorry for my ignorance, as i have only just registered to this forum.

He means to look at the first threads in this section, they have been put on top of the forum for people to get info in regards to parking and tickets/fines
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taffy056 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
bromsgrovebarry
Old 05-09-2010, 3:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

No problem, it is the first thread on the parking fines forum. HTH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bromsgrovebarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
taffy056
Old 05-09-2010, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromsgrovebarry View Post
No problem, it is the first thread on the parking fines forum. HTH

also watch this video on you tube, it applies to all private parking companies, its from the BBC Watchdog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIcdi9niHA
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taffy056 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
bromsgrovebarry
Old 05-09-2010, 3:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sorry forgot to mention that after the letter from Town and City there are letters from AA Hutton LLP Debt Recovery. Sound scary but that is all they are. Its like having a child threatening to blow your head off with a toy gun. Bluff and bluster that is all it is.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bromsgrovebarry For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Kite2010
Old 05-09-2010, 5:10 PM

Keep hold of your ticket as prove you have paid in the very unlikely event they do decide to take you to court as prove that damages the landowner can claim is zero.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kite2010 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Coupon-mad
Old 05-09-2010, 7:05 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite2010 View Post
Keep hold of your ticket as prove you have paid in the very unlikely event they do decide to take you to court as prove that damages the landowner can claim is zero.

But Town & City don't do Court so I wouldn't want the OP to think that will happen, even in an unlikely event. T & C are well known and their mickey mouse tickets are nothing to worry about at all, some people collect them for fun!

jeremyclark4 I do hope you've watched the Watchdog programme already linked by taffy056?

This is such a common scam that almost everyone on this board has had at least one private parking ticket and ignored it (mine was over a year ago and the driver was allegedly there for four hours in a two hour private car park!). There is no risk in ignoring everything in the absence of sealed, genuine Court papers, which won't come. The only things to arrive will be the threatograms!

You can see a preview of the Debt Collector (powerless) letters to ignore, in the sticky 'PPC letter/threats, what to expect' - you'll find it on the whole board link below, near the top. Look at the pics now, you can see what will come next and it will stop you panicking when you read their threats:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...play.php?f=163

Plus you'll see by the number of current threads (of which there are pages and pages!) on that link, just how common this scam is. This thread is one of hundreds! Read some threads on the link above, then look back pages and pages and pages - except for the odd Police or Council ticket and clamping case - all of those threads are from people like you.

All the same, all ignored, doesn't matter who the PPC is. Nothing will happen. NEVER pay a private parking ticket. Think no more of it apart from to spread the word.

HTH

P.S. Do you know what I would have done in your shoes, if a Store Manager said that to me? I would have said 'fine then I am going to return all my shopping for a full refund of 100+ as this is a scam with no valid appeals ever accepted so what you suggest is pointless. I have clearly paid for parking and I am amazed you don't support paying customers against such a rip-off. I will just go and unload all my shopping as I cannot afford to shop here now and won't be coming here again.'

And of course, I wouldn't have contacted nor paid T&C but the Manager clearly believes the fine is real so he wouldn't know that it's safe to ignore.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
AlexisV
Old 06-09-2010, 2:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Save all the threatening junkmail they send you and forward it to Andy Clarke at Asda HQ. Tell him you will never shop there again and recommend that he reads Ferguson vs British Gas if he wants to employ threatening cowboys.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlexisV For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
jeremyclark4
Old 06-09-2010, 5:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks for the advice all, shall do as you all recommend and just "IGNORE". Will keep you posted of the events as they unfold and post up all correspondence received from Town and Country and their solicitors. Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremyclark4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
jeremyclark4
Old 26-05-2011, 6:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

almost 9 months now guys and still no contact from town and country.
great advice. many thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeremyclark4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Valli
Old 26-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Location: In a little cloud of optimism, playing the 'Glad Game' - Feel free to join in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyclark4 View Post
almost 9 months now guys and still no contact from town and country.
great advice. many thanks.
and THANK YOU for coming back to us and posting this update...
Make two - and freeze one!
Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!

Roadkill Rebel #97 - April 10p May 5p June 25p July 5 Euro note and then some!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valli For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread