IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Magnet v Howden kitchens
Closed Thread
Views: 38,687
# 1
NastyMatt
Old 25-09-2006, 12:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Magnet v Howden kitchens

As the title suggests.. anyone have any experince of both? How do they stand up against each other?
Lady Astor: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee."

Sir Winston Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."
# 2
Bad-Boy-Button
Old 25-09-2006, 12:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've fitted both and because they are rigid units, they tend to be better than B&Q. I could not really say one was better than the other in terms of build quality but I'd always go for Magnet, but then I get up to 60% discount from them!!
# 3
needaspirin
Old 25-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thumbs down

I would never buy Magnet after the way they treated their workers

Magnet Dispute
The 1996 Congress carried an emergency motion condemning the sacking of 350 striking workers by Magnet Kitchens, Darlington. Member of UCATT, GMB, TGWU and AEEU had been engaged in a lawful trade dispute over pay and conditions when they had been dismissed on 3 September. The company had continued production by engaging a replacement workforce.

Last edited by needaspirin; 25-09-2006 at 12:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to needaspirin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Apple
Old 25-09-2006, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

[QUOTE=Bad-Boy-Button] but I'd always go for Magnet, but then I get up to 60% discount from them!![/QUOTE

Sorry to be nosy Bad Boy but is that a trade discount ?

Thanks
# 5
Bad-Boy-Button
Old 25-09-2006, 12:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yeah, I used to buy alot from them a yar or two ago, not so much now but they let me keep the discount as I still buy from them from time to time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad-Boy-Button For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Ted_Hutchinson
Old 25-09-2006, 1:23 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Don't have experience of both but other readers may be interested to know I didn't have any problems opening a Howdens account in my local town, and paying for a kitchen ordered/delivered on that account in a different town.

The resulting fitted kitchen turned out fine and the inevitable minor problems were resolved without hassle. I'd be happy to use them again.
# 7
cattie
Old 25-09-2006, 1:34 PM

My current kitchen is Magnet & the quality is excellent. The fact that they are not flat packed makes a huge difference.

I've had my kitchen for 4yrs now & when last year I wanted an additional base unit after having a space that the tumble dryer had occupied, I was able to get one from Magnet delivered to my door in 2 days. I was happy to find that they continue to manufacture this particular range.

I'd definitely buy Magnet again.
The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
# 8
Counting_Pennies
Old 25-09-2006, 2:35 PM

For me the Magnet kitchen was great, but only really worth it if you are going to go for their little extras, such as the self closing drawers, corner carosels, etc. If not I would personally say from the outside the cupboards weren't much different to a B&Q one.

Much as Magnet say they will get their own people to fit them, they are still contractors, and the people who fitted mine had never fitted a kitchen before, only a conservatory! So as you can expect they were complete novices and messed the job up.

So if I did it again, I would perhaps purchase from them again, but only if I had someone of my choosing to fit it!
# 9
ckerrd
Old 25-09-2006, 2:40 PM

Would not let Magnet install a kitchen for me again. Nothing wrong with the units however the cowboys that put it in will not be crossing my door again. They failed to seal the worktop round the sink properly so that needs replaced. And can I get someone to do it? Can I *%$£
We all evolve - get on with it
# 10
Bad-Boy-Button
Old 25-09-2006, 2:42 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
So if I did it again, I would perhaps purchase from them again, but only if I had someone of my choosing to fit it!
I totally agree with you there, with Magnet there is no obligation to use their fitters and as with mechanics, plumbers etc, I would only ever use someone who has been recommended or you are happy with from previous work.
A good kitchen fit can be done by an novice, but an experianced joiner will know all the problems and answers before he/she starts, and the end product is generally much better.
# 11
stu3105
Old 25-09-2006, 3:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Howdens are the trade version of MFI although their kitchen ranges have different names.Got mine from Howdens they were very good.
# 12
KTJ
Old 25-09-2006, 3:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

can anyone post a link to where I can see the Howden units they have for sale?
# 13
Bad-Boy-Button
Old 25-09-2006, 3:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

http://www.howdens.com/

The link only takes me to a landing page. It may have something to do with the impending sale of MFI. Try it, it may work for you.
# 14
KTJ
Old 25-09-2006, 3:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

no, doesnt work.

Do howdens sell MFI units? If so I can just go to the MFI website
# 15
Bad-Boy-Button
Old 25-09-2006, 3:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

They are essentially the same, just different names in the book:rolleyes:
# 16
tobyjug
Old 25-09-2006, 3:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i bought my kitchen from Howdens via our fitter about 4 years ago.The only thing I didn't like was that when I bought mine they didn't have the range of sized units that Magnet had so we had to compromise heavily but hte cost even with magnets trade discount was considerably lower.
# 17
spamberler
Old 09-10-2006, 9:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to spamberler Send a message via Skype™ to spamberler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Hutchinson
Don't have experience of both but other readers may be interested to know I didn't have any problems opening a Howdens account in my local town, and paying for a kitchen ordered/delivered on that account in a different town.

The resulting fitted kitchen turned out fine and the inevitable minor problems were resolved without hassle. I'd be happy to use them again.

Im interested in getting an account with howdens. Do you have to be a builder or a joiner?
A dAy WiThOuT wInE iS lIkE a DaY wItHoUt SuNsHiNe
# 18
Woby_Tide
Old 09-10-2006, 10:12 AM

just tell them you are renovating a house yourself(which you are, sort of) and intend to do it to a few more in future and they should give you the application form,
The Following User Says Thank You to Woby_Tide For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
spamberler
Old 09-10-2006, 12:33 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via MSN to spamberler Send a message via Skype™ to spamberler
Talking

I just called and they are posting me an application!!

They even said that they are doing further discounts in october!
A dAy WiThOuT wInE iS lIkE a DaY wItHoUt SuNsHiNe
# 20
Spraycan
Old 07-03-2010, 10:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Exclamation Magnet Kitchens - DO NOT BUY THEM!

Magnet Kitchens took more than 5 weeks to botch my kitchen completely. They take all of your money up front (more fool me for paying) so you have nowhere to go on that front. Some of the defects were fixed and others botched so cause ongoing problems. The kitchen units are fine - it was the installation that was the problem e.g. Forgot to plumb in the fridge so all had to be taken apart again, forgot to put power to the cookerhood, washing machine plumbed in to the hot tap so my delicates were boiled etc etc. COWBOYS SO BEWARE! Also they are very expensive even after their so called sale prices.
Closed Thread