IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Help!! Ideas for rehoming a puppy
Closed Thread
Views: 5,564
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
xoxo
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 865
Default Help!! Ideas for rehoming a puppy

Hi

I'm looking for ideas/help with rehoming a 10 month old staff cross rhodesian ridgeback. I've tried everything I can think of but rescues won't take her because she has staff in her. She also needs medically spaying due to vaginal prolapse.

I took her in for a friend when she was younger and I don't want to let her go but with an 8month old now crawling around the house having a big lively puppy jumping around isn't really an option, and it would be unfair to keep her locked up all day or shut out in the garden as winter approaches, so she has to go.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated as i'm out of ideas I'm in the Essex area if that helps with local suggestions. I think i've tried all the obvious places
xoxo is offline
Report Post
# 2
welshmoneylover
Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea
Posts: 2,646
Default

Oh dear, what places have you tried?

Dogs Trust might help out, but as you say, staff crosses are overwhelming rescue centres..

Have you tried contacting the original breeder to see if they can help out?
Good on the Tories
welshmoneylover is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to welshmoneylover For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
xoxo
Old 05-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 865
Default

The original breeder doesn't want to know any more, i've tried them and they asked a few people but nobody was interested and they've since given up and left me to sort it out

I've tried everything (seriously, everything!) that comes up on google for: dog rescue and/or rehoming dogs in essex/sussex/kent/london/brighton, also lincolnshire & nottinghamshire.

Also tried rhodesian ridgeback specialists, staff specialists, all local vets, doris banham.

Ridgeback rescue gave me about 40 numbers to try, none of which would take her.

Dogs Trust won't take her

The dog warden for the local council won't take her

I only took her in as a favour for a friend and I don't know what else to try
xoxo is offline
Report Post
# 4
cyberbob
Old 05-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshmoneylover View Post

Have you tried contacting the original breeder to see if they can help out?
I can't see any reputable breeder breeding a Staff/Ridgeback cross, So I doubt they'll be much hope there.

Why should having a child effect you owning a dog? As long as you train the dog and give appropriate care it should not be a problem.

Sorry to be harsh it just sounds like you can't be bothered with the work required for the dog you took on so now want to dump her on a charity.
cyberbob is offline
Report Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cyberbob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
xoxo
Old 05-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbob View Post
I can't see any reputable breeder breeding a Staff/Ridgeback cross, So I doubt they'll be much hope there.

Why should having a child effect you owning a dog? As long as you train the dog and give appropriate care it should not be a problem.

Sorry to be harsh it just sounds like you can't be bothered with the work required for the dog you took on so now want to dump her on a charity.
I can't have a big dog jumping around an 8month old baby crawling around his home and it's cruel to keep the dog shut outside all day or shut in a room on her own.

I have tried training her, in fact she's well trained apart from the jumping, but thats besides the point. I didn't take her on with a view to keeping her forever, I took her on short term as a favour for a friend who's circumstances changed too quickly for them to find a permanent home for her. Now that my 8 month old wants to explore his home and the friend I took her in for is not in a position to take her back then she has to go. I don't want to 'dump her on a charity', I want a permanent home to be found for her, which this was never going to be! Would you prefer I gave her away in the paper rather than "dump her on a charity" so she could end up with anybody?
xoxo is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to xoxo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
hethmar
Old 05-09-2010, 1:06 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,354
Default

If you had her spayed there would be more likelihood a rescue would take her on. Is she suffering with her condition?
What part of the country do you live in? Ah, just saw Essex - How far are you prepared to travel to take her to a rescue?

Have you tried these?

http://www.mutts-in-distress.org.uk/
http://clactonanimalaid.org/
http://www.wagtails-rescue.co.uk/
http://www.plusbreeds.com/rehoming-centres/

Last edited by hethmar; 05-09-2010 at 1:18 AM.
hethmar is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hethmar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
xoxo
Old 05-09-2010, 9:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 865
Default

Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately i've tried them all apart from Battersea who would put her down as she needs the op I don't want her to be put down or for any harm to come to her, that why i'm trying to do this properly instead of just sticking her in a paper or something

I can travel to get her to a rescue but i've tried all the ones I can find in essex, london, surrey, sussex etc
xoxo is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xoxo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
november
Old 05-09-2010, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 602
Default

Have you tried asking on the DogPages forum? http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php
I live in my own little world. But it's okay. They know me here.
november is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to november For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
xoxo
Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 865
Default

Thank you for that, i'll give it a go!
xoxo is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to xoxo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
hethmar
Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,354
Default

Can you not contact PDSA or Blue Cross for this operation? Its so very sad not to help the girl. If you/the owner are on benefits then PDSA or Blue Cross may help you. What a pity she wasnt insured.

One last chance with a rescue, if you really feel you have contacted all those in that list is to try Hillside Animal Sanctuary in Norfolk. They are very caring people.
hethmar is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hethmar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
puddy
Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,924
Default

why isnt the 'friend' doing all this?
puddy is offline
Report Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to puddy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
LittleTinker
Old 05-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxo View Post
I can't have a big dog jumping around an 8month old baby crawling around his home and it's cruel to keep the dog shut outside all day or shut in a room on her own.

I have tried training her, in fact she's well trained apart from the jumping, but thats besides the point. I didn't take her on with a view to keeping her forever, I took her on short term as a favour for a friend who's circumstances changed too quickly for them to find a permanent home for her. Now that my 8 month old wants to explore his home and the friend I took her in for is not in a position to take her back then she has to go. I don't want to 'dump her on a charity', I want a permanent home to be found for her, which this was never going to be! Would you prefer I gave her away in the paper rather than "dump her on a charity" so she could end up with anybody?
It wouldnt be any worse than your so called friend dumping it on you!
What kind of dog owner was she that she just dumped her dog on an uncaring person like you?
If it really was a short term favour you did, then give the dog back to your friend and let her sort it out, seeing as how its her dog really.

Or was it a case of you agreed to have the dog and have now changed your mind because you cant be bothered with it?

You proved you dont care one jot about the dog as you called the dog warden! Dog wardens put dogs to sleep!!

If you cant look after a dog for life, then dont get the dog in the first place.
That poor dog!
LittleTinker is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LittleTinker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
xoxo
Old 05-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 865
Default

Thank you hethmar i'll try them. I have looked in to getting her the op but i've been unable to get any help so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
why isnt the 'friend' doing all this?
Because as far as she's concerned she's done all she can by asking a few other friends to take her and can't be bothered any more and has left it to me to do it all
xoxo is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to xoxo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
EmptyPockets
Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,851
Default

This is, as usual, a case of the poor animal suffering because people's circumstances change. I don't understand, from what you have said, why you have to get rid of her - surely there is a way you could make it work, unless of course you're really not interested in making it work..?

Have you thought about investing in a large dog crate for her? They are invaluable for times when you want to restrict your dog, like when your youngster is crawling around for instance... A crate, coupled with shelter and fresh water in the garden, plus a nice cosy bed and some toys in a quiet room of the house, all these options could be used to give you 'time out' when necessary... and would surely be a better solution than the poor dog finding herself in kennels somewhere?

Sorry if I sound harsh but I just don't understand people who are so quick to get rid when 'circumstances change'. No matter what happened, I would rather live in a tent and eat cold baked beans for life if it meant I could keep my animals and still care for them and be there for them.
"Your life is what your thoughts make it"

"If you can't bite, don't show your teeth!"

R.i.P our beautiful girl Suki. We'll love and miss you forever

Last edited by EmptyPockets; 05-09-2010 at 10:26 AM.
EmptyPockets is offline
Report Post
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EmptyPockets For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
MrsE
Old 05-09-2010, 10:27 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 22,837
Default

I don't think its helpful when people post about needing to "get rid" of a pet to
A have a go at them for it or
B try & persuade them to keep it.

1. People get animals without thinking & want rid, its better they get good advice (for the animals sake) than be scared to ask.
2. If they don't want it, the animal is better off getting rehomed somewhere it is wanted.

Last edited by MrsE; 05-09-2010 at 10:35 AM.
MrsE is offline
Report Post
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MrsE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Hardupandfedup
Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,027
Default

Would battersea put her down because she needs spaying? I thought all rescues spayed before rehoming anyway.

Have you looked on dog pages? that might help. Have you spoken to local vets. They may know someone who has recently lost a pet and wants another?

Last edited by Hardupandfedup; 05-09-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: speling
Hardupandfedup is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Hardupandfedup For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
xoxo
Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTinker View Post
It wouldnt be any worse than your so called friend dumping it on you!
What kind of dog owner was she that she just dumped her dog on an uncaring person like you?
If it really was a short term favour you did, then give the dog back to your friend and let her sort it out, seeing as how its her dog really.

Or was it a case of you agreed to have the dog and have now changed your mind because you cant be bothered with it?

You proved you dont care one jot about the dog as you called the dog warden! Dog wardens put dogs to sleep!!

If you cant look after a dog for life, then dont get the dog in the first place.
That poor dog!
I'd hardly say i'm uncaring. I've looked after the puppy for months. I took her in as it was that or my friend would have let her go. It was only ever intended as short term.

I've not changed my mind about anything, it was supposed to be for a few weeks, a few months later and it looks like my friends circumstances won't be changing again any time soon.

I didn't know the dog warden puts dogs to sleep, otherwise i'd not have called them. The reason I won't call Battersea is because she'll be put to sleep by them.

I do care for her, I won't see any harm come to her and will obviously keep her here until there's a suitable solution, I just can't keep her much longer because she's too boisterous around the children, especially the crawling baby.
xoxo is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to xoxo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
LittleTinker
Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxo View Post
I'd hardly say i'm uncaring. I've looked after the puppy for months. I took her in as it was that or my friend would have let her go. It was only ever intended as short term.

I've not changed my mind about anything, it was supposed to be for a few weeks, a few months later and it looks like my friends circumstances won't be changing again any time soon.

I didn't know the dog warden puts dogs to sleep, otherwise i'd not have called them. The reason I won't call Battersea is because she'll be put to sleep by them.

I do care for her, I won't see any harm come to her and will obviously keep her here until there's a suitable solution, I just can't keep her much longer because she's too boisterous around the children, especially the crawling baby.
Train her then and then she wont be boisterous.

Lets face it....it is a case of you cant be bothered and now want rid.
LittleTinker is offline
Report Post
# 19
Hardupandfedup
Old 05-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsE View Post
I don't think its helpful when people post about needing to "get rid" of a pet to A have a go at them for it or B try & persuade them to keep it.

1. People get animals without thinking & want rid, its better they get good advice (for the animals sake) than be scared to ask.
2. If they don't want it, the animal is better off getting rehomed somewhere it is wanted.
Well said. its not helping to have a go at the op who is trying to find another home. yes a dog should be for life and people should think much more before taking on animals but in this situation people should try to help the dog.
Hardupandfedup is offline
Report Post
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hardupandfedup For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
MrsE
Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 AM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 22,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardupandfedup View Post
Well said. its not helping to have a go at the op who is trying to find another home. yes a dog should be for life and people should think much more before taking on animals but in this situation people should try to help the dog.
Exactly.....
MrsE is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 8:57 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 19 November 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile
  • RT @bbckamal: Breaking: Treasury withdraws legal challenge to EU bonus cap rules
  • RT @suziqvk: @MartinSLewis thanks for the nectar points heads up ! Just got £50 worth of gifts and wine for free, well for the nectar point?
  • Do you think mobile phone insurance is worth bothering with? Great deal or rip off? We're debating it on @bbc5live on Mon - what's your view

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.