Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    • 5,379Posts
    • 37,018Thanks
    CathT
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free
    • 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free 2nd Sep 10 at 11:22 AM
    Hi all,

Originally came across this forum and had the idea of OP in the short term while interest rates so low but have been so inspired to make being MF a realistic goal.
    Initially was inspired by Financial Bliss's diary and then read many others taking in lots of tips and posting the occasional comment.

So, a bit about me. Live with DH and DD (aged 2) with outstanding mortgage of just over 119,000 with about 19.5 years left on the term. We are young ish! and would hope to be MF by time i'm 40 (DH 45) so pretty much a 10 year ish plan.

We have a fair income (about 40k joint) but have been used to living on a lot less so am hoping to direct disposable income at mortgage)

Thanks for reading so far and I hope you will join me on my journey to keep me motivated!!
    Last edited by CathT; 20-12-2011 at 1:49 PM.
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
Page 215
    • CathT
    • By CathT 26th Nov 17, 10:38 PM
    • 5,379 Posts
    • 37,018 Thanks
    CathT
    We're going in February Michelle, will be strange being without the children but am sure they'll enjoy the treats my mum is bound to indulge them with! Think I need a Rome page in my bullet journal!

Had a super lazy weekend, eaten far too much and no exercise and barely any steps! Took ds to see some reindeer today which he really enjoyed. Spent £2.53 on cabbage, spring onion, broccoli and some potatoes from the farm shop. Dh made a delicious roast and I did some Christmas colouring with the children. Broke into a £10 note at farm shop, put £1 in charity collection tin and £5 in envelope for Christmas play tickets (is ours the only school that charges?) and my £10 is almost gone! It's so true that once you break into it, it disappears!

Bag taken to charity shop yesterday so house slightly less cluttered. I've made a huge pot of veggie chilli that should feed me all week. Plenty of leftovers for dinner tomorrow and we are well stocked for school lunches.

Party planning going well, just got to think of some games/activities for 6-9 year olds that are fun and festive. Everyone is going to bring something for the buffet which keeps stress and costs down for us. No plans for NYE but considering I spent last year alone feeling poorly with pneumonia (watched 'it's a wonderful life' with a hot chocolate) any plans would be an improvement!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • CathT
    • By CathT 27th Nov 17, 10:18 PM
    • 5,379 Posts
    • 37,018 Thanks
    CathT
    Quick update from me. A NSD at last! Have had more blood tests so fingers crossed they are processed and reviewed quickly. Spotted an offer on a fb page for canvas prints so placed an order. Don't have to pay today so it doesn't affect my NSD. Current account looking healthy but due to the time of year we have lots of expenses coming up. Will be careful with money without it affecting our enjoyment of events too much.

Elf preparation is also underway and the door is under construction! DS was super excited when he came downstairs this morning so I know it will be worth the effort. Am sending dh to a £shop tomorrow for more accessories I have spotted online. He said dd is doubting the elf magic and as she's only 9 I want to try and keep the magic alive for another couple of years!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 28th Nov 17, 7:02 AM
    • 5,894 Posts
    • 40,614 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hope the blood tests come through quickly for you cath.
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £17,514.78 paid so far

Mortgage £47,354 years 8 months left. Total owed £62,871.22 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weight loss target 37lb/22lb gone.
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 28th Nov 17, 9:16 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    michelle09
    I'm sure everyone will enjoy the weekend, the trip for you and grandparents spoils for the kids. February is a great time, give you time to look forward to it after Christmas.

Hope the blood test results are back asap - have they given you a timeframe?
    • pink poppy
    • By pink poppy 28th Nov 17, 11:26 AM
    • 961 Posts
    • 5,703 Thanks
    pink poppy
    Party planning going well, just got to think of some games/activities for 6-9 year olds that are fun and festive.
    Originally posted by CathT

Pin the tail on the Reindeer??

Good luck with the blood test results xx
    MFW...
    Caledonia dreamin' ...
    Making it happen...
    • CathT
    • By CathT 1st Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 5,379 Posts
    • 37,018 Thanks
    CathT
    Hi NG, Michelle and PP thanks for popping by. Chased up blood results today assuming they were okay as surgery not been in touch. However iron levels have dropped again so back on iron tablets. This is the 3rd time in 12 months and they don't know why it keeps dropping. I only recently stopped taking iron tablets too! Plan is another 3 months of iron and then review levels but I keep going around in a circle with it.

Busy weekend planned! We are off to an event at the local uni tomorrow and then the children have a christmas party for their football team on Sunday. Have booked some tickets to see a comedian locally next June, we've seen two others and always have a fab evening. Plenty of time to find a babysitter although we need to prioritise booking one for a meal we are invited to before NYE!

Have done the money shuffle to clear recent spends on cc, apart from the mini-break so need a plan for that. Also need to investigate car insurance quotes as renewal due this month and I am usually far more organised than this! Bought a couple more christmas presents for the children from the bookclub type man that leaves products in offices, got a baking book for dd and lego action figures for ds. He also wants n3rf guns and they are so expensive so collected a huge bundle for £20 we saw on a fb selling page. If I individually wrap them he'll have a huge pile of presents! Also ordered dd a game (can't think how to describe it or what it's called!! you have a wire and move a hook without touching the wire!!!)

Had a super busy week in work and drowning with workload so really hoping I can switch off and relax this evening. You know those moments when you really feel you deserve that lottery win!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 1st Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    • 6,634 Posts
    • 48,658 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I had low iron for years and couldn't donate blood because of it. When it was low inp= pregnancy, my gp dug deeper and it turns out I was coeliac. Jus' sayin'...
    NST DDD#1; NSD 4/15; Ex 2/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove /31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Dec 17, 7:48 AM
    • 5,379 Posts
    • 37,018 Thanks
    CathT
    Did your iron levels stabilise after that apple? I used to donate regularly too and a couple of times r they had to double check my hb but ferritin is always last to go down. I was screened for coeliac last time and that came back ok. Just not sure what else could be causing it but it's so debilitating. We have plans today but I'm debating if I feel up to being out all day! I feel 85, not 35!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 2nd Dec 17, 8:22 AM
    • 6,634 Posts
    • 48,658 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Yes they did. I have annual blood tests now and my ferritin is stable. Dd was given a liquid vit d after she was diagnosed. I'll look out the name when I'm back home - it may be easier to absorb.

And I was a lucky one - diagnosed coeliac before having any obvious symptoms, and having a gp who delved deeper into the cause of things and didn't just treat the symptoms. Not say ing that you are coeliac, of course!

Another thought - have you looked into the primal lifestyle/way of eating? The website is marksdailyapple.com. There's a myriad of ideas and guidance on there - tho I believe the advertising has gotten a little 'in yer face'. If you can see beyond that...
    way
    NST DDD#1; NSD 4/15; Ex 2/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove /31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • CathT
    • By CathT 3rd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 5,379 Posts
    • 37,018 Thanks
    CathT
    Thanks Apple, just googled and will have a read.

Still got car insurance quote to sort out, expect my renewal will be most competitive which means no cashback! Started decorating the tree but needed more lights and baubles so popped to our local christmas factory outlet - £25 spent and I didn't just buy lights and baubles! Have booked b*gas to install smart meter when I have a midweek day off just before Christmas. Meter readings submitted too. Checked mortgage balance figures and one balance only requires a 67p OP to get us into the next £1000 milestone so am going to send that across! We seem to be spending so much money at the moment (perfectly normal for time of year) so am glad I left us a healthy budget to see us through. DH has taken the children to a party, free for dd through her football club but had to pay £15 for ds, also spent £20 on a bundle of toys on ds Christmas list. I have ignored much of their list so hoping they'll be happy!!

Did a big tidy up of ds bedroom before and stopped myself rearranging it! Clothes that are too small put in a pile ready for charity shop. Pulled a coat I'd bought for dd off 3bay ages ago but drowned her and that finally fits but she complained it was too heavy, honestly there is no pleasing her! All beds changed and bedrooms zoflora'd! Quick clean of bathroom as it's being replaced next weekend anyway.

Right Christmas songs are in full flow so I'm going to finish the tree. If it wasn't a school night I'd have wine like I did pre-children!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • CathT
    • By CathT 5th Dec 17, 9:14 PM
    • 5,379 Posts
    • 37,018 Thanks
    CathT
    Well I thoroughly enjoyed decorating the tree with the company of a Christmas film. Finding this week really stressful though so think I need to practise some mindfulness before I implode!

67p mortgage OP done and December figures updated. The balance isn't coming down very much at the moment as we have reduced our regular OP so I am really keen to reinstate these asap! Small food top up shop done and trying to keep spends low.

Really need to check where we are up to with Christmas shopping, feel we have bought the children a good selection but need to get everything out and see how it looks. Also still need to get presents for our parents and a gift for my sister. I have a feeling the weeks are going to run away with me as December is starting to disappear fast!

25p on y0ugov tonight so now up to £27

Head still spinning with work stress so hoping a browse on here will distract me.
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • CathT
    • By CathT 8th Dec 17, 7:26 AM
    • 5,379 Posts
    • 37,018 Thanks
    CathT
    No progress made this week apart from survival - does that count as progress? Had a headache for 4 days so will delighted if that goes! Had a bit of snow here so hoping the schools stay open long enough for us to have childcare in place as planning ahead has not been successful!

Accounts checked and we may make it to payday if we are careful. Pleased with this as Christmas shopping has come from normal budget. Need to work out what we still need to buy and get a bit more organised as the days are flying by!

Definitely hoping for a relaxed evening and cancelled football training! New bathroom being started this weekend so hoping house not to chaotic as need to store new suite and tiles until midweek. Can't wait for it to be finished though! Hoping that the savings account won't be completely depleted.

Best get moving, busy day ahead and lots to do!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 8th Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 10,568 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    No progress made this week apart from survival - does that count as progress?
    Originally posted by CathT
    Survival in our house counts as progress and I'd take that every week...!! Well done!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 33//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £35,448.08
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £100,551.94 // Avg Daily Interest £4.52
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 56.74% of £41,000
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 8th Dec 17, 7:44 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    michelle09
    Have they done an intrinsic factor antibody test? Might be one cause of constantly dropping levels. Potentially stupid question, you weren't cutting out gluten when you had the coeliac test, right? It can cause false negatives.

The bathroom date is here? Wonderful, hope it goes well!
    • CathT
    • By CathT 9th Dec 17, 8:08 AM
    • 5,379 Posts
    • 37,018 Thanks
    CathT
    Thanks SJ, with young children and full time jobs I guess that is progress.

B12 and folate were okay at previous check but I do drink supplements high in B vitamins. Hb also ok, it's just the ferritin. Just ate as normal for coeliac check, just so frustrating not knowing the cause of it being persistently low.

Need to go and pay for bathroom items today ready for work to start tomorrow. Tiler coming midweek and plumber returning next weekend.

Had more snow overnight with more forecast today and tomorrow. Unfortunately we have had to cancel our Christmas market plans. Managed to stay in work all day as literally had too much today so didn't have an option!

Today I need to sort out car insurance quote as renewal is £20 a month more expensive. No change of circumstances or claims so they're clearly just pulling a fast one! Off to the comparison sites and TCB I go!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • CathT
    • By CathT 9th Dec 17, 8:07 PM
    • 5,379 Posts
    • 37,018 Thanks
    CathT
    Well today has been wonderful!

We have got lots done and had fun along the way. I started off with car insurance renewal and after using comparison sites and tcb couldn't find anything to compete with renewal quote. Rang them just to double check the home insurance was part of this (they had previously offered me 3 months free) and it was included hence the higher quote. Explained I was just checking what was included and that I was still comparing prices (I wasn't at al pushing for discount) but he said obviously they wanted to keep custom so would see what he could do. Between the two cars and the house insurance he knocked £96 off the quote! I've paid the lump sum as the APR is really high and am hoping there is money leftover from bathroom fund rather than using wages. That saves us £55 a month as I've been able to cancel the existing home insurance and they owe me £7!

Next on the agenda was wellies for the children due to the snow and finally found some in the 3rd shop. dd needed a size 3 so I had to buy her ladies wellies, at 9 years old I wasn't expecting that! Picked up an emergency loaf of bread whilst there and headed off to pay for bathroom suite. He originally undercharged us by almost £400 as entered payment incorrectly but I informed him so full amount paid! Also bought a new towel radiator so we are good to go providing the forecast snow doesn't affect the delivery!

Next stop was our local NT place which was nearby. The lanes leading to it were clear and the best I'd travelled for 2 days! We had a wonderful time seeing the christmas trail, making a snowman and having a snowball fight. It was definitely what we all needed.

Totted up all cc spends and have paid that and I think we can survive until payday but will need a few NSD's to get there. 10 days to go!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 10th Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 5,894 Posts
    • 40,614 Thanks
    newgirly
    Sounds like a successful day cath
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £17,514.78 paid so far

Mortgage £47,354 years 8 months left. Total owed £62,871.22 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weight loss target 37lb/22lb gone.
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 10th Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    michelle09
    Ah, well intrinsic factor antibodies are generally tested for in patients with low B12, so possibly not that. Unless the supplements impact on it. I hope you find the cause soon.

That's fantastic on the insurance, great day!
    • CathT
    • By CathT 10th Dec 17, 10:31 PM
    • 5,379 Posts
    • 37,018 Thanks
    CathT
    Another good day, went sledging with the children and apart from ds thinking he would never get warm again we all had good fun. We need to invest in better gloves for the children as wet gloves are no fun! Was relieved the sledge was easily retrieved from the garden storage and it was nice to be able to use it. Am sure last time we went sledging was before we had ds! We went to the park by us, in walking distance, huge with a beautiful lake. The atmosphere was wonderful as so many families were having fun making the most of the snow. DH worked this morning and we had a nsd, large amounts of snow helped that. We ate very cheaply as dh sometime can bring things from work that don't meet quality control so consumed those type of things today. DH also did some baking so I've definitely not gone hungry today. I did however feel a bit guilty when I woke from a nap to see him preparing dinner!

Used bullet journal to finalise bathroom expenses and after all costs we currently have about £100 left. We will need to pay for rubbish removal but using a van associated with a school which doesn't charge too much and it will be nice to help them out. It's an SEN provision and they also sell things the students make. Unfortunately bathroom has been put back a day due to weather, I was worried we would lose our slot with the tiler as it was him we have been waiting on but plumber reassured us it will just put his other jobs back by a day. Fingers crossed it is all finished this week and as a bonus we have no decorating to do as it's going to be fully tiled with ceiling panels and spot lights. I would like to get a lot of decorating done next Spring so could do with making a list (new bullet journal page) and getting a quote. Plan after that is to get the house valued simply for curiosity purposes and I guess it can't hurt to know your ltv.
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter