Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    • 5,381Posts
    • 37,030Thanks
    CathT
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free
    • 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free 2nd Sep 10 at 11:22 AM
    Hi all,

Originally came across this forum and had the idea of OP in the short term while interest rates so low but have been so inspired to make being MF a realistic goal.
    Initially was inspired by Financial Bliss's diary and then read many others taking in lots of tips and posting the occasional comment.

So, a bit about me. Live with DH and DD (aged 2) with outstanding mortgage of just over 119,000 with about 19.5 years left on the term. We are young ish! and would hope to be MF by time i'm 40 (DH 45) so pretty much a 10 year ish plan.

We have a fair income (about 40k joint) but have been used to living on a lot less so am hoping to direct disposable income at mortgage)

Thanks for reading so far and I hope you will join me on my journey to keep me motivated!!
    Last edited by CathT; 20-12-2011 at 1:49 PM.
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
Page 212
    • CathT
    • By CathT 24th Sep 17, 9:53 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    The party was a success and dd said it was her best party ever! It was incredibly noisy at times though! We now need to plan a party for ds in a couple of weeks.

Today has also been super busy! Football match for dd this morning, I popped to Mr S for new work clothes to take advantage of 25% off. Got 2 pairs of trousers, a dress and 3 tops for £44! Have also cut the lawns, made a butternut squash soup and done endless loads of washing. At one point had a load on the line, the airer and the heated airer. I still had to put a load in the dryer! Fell asleep whilst watching a film with the children this evening. Have also needed to walk around the house to reach my step goal of 15k steps.

25p on y0ugov this morning and accounts up to date. Hoping for a few NSD's this week!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 25th Sep 17, 7:46 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Well done on the party!! Always a success when they've had a great time! Might have to take myself off to sainsburys too with those clothes bargains! Well done!
    MF planning for the simple life
    • CathT
    • By CathT 26th Sep 17, 10:14 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    Well done on the party!! Always a success when they've had a great time! Might have to take myself off to sainsburys too with those clothes bargains! Well done!
    Originally posted by Downshifterella
    Thank you, it was a relief it went so well! Have had lots of compliments on my new clothes so I would say it's worth a trip

I really do not have enough hours in the day, am getting up earlier to exercise before work and seem to have no time in the evening to do anything. Get home around 5pm, children have activities every evening except Thursday but dh takes responsibility for that (I just pick dd up from piano which is on my way home from work). I am sure the days used to seem longer than they do now!

2 NSD's so far this week, 50p on y0ugov tonight. Heating not used as it's still pretty mild, even line dried some washing today! Will need a small top up shop tomorrow, mainly just fruit as it doesn't last more than a few days here between the two children!

Am feeling grateful today that a kind gentleman reversed my car out of space as I was struggling and someone blocked me in in a car park. Also feeling super proud of my little sister who has decided to buy a property on her own at just 21!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • CathT
    • By CathT 29th Sep 17, 10:57 AM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    Another busy working week but I am off today

Accounts checked and looking healthy but money needs moving to savings ready to pay holiday balance. I've managed to clear a cc balance of £345 this month as interest free period was ending so it's good to have another card paid off.

Has been an expensive month as had to pay £90 football subs for dd and £124 for swimming lessons for them both. It's ds's birthday next week and he only has one present so far and no party planned either as he wants a swimming party but I think he's a bit young. He's a good swimmer but am not sure how many 5-6 year olds can swim well. Am also leaving some surplus in the account to take into account his birthday.

Have bought my first christmas related item! I buy a personalised decoration for the children each year and the baubles I wanted always sell out before I decide whether to buy. It helps out a small craft business and keeps up our tradition.

I'm really behind on diaries so hoping to catch up a bit at some point. Happy Friday everyone!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • CathT
    • By CathT 1st Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    Where did the weekend go????

Finally decided on ds birthday party and we are going to do something at home and he's really excited about it. It will need to be as stress free as possible as it will be after work/school.

50p on y0ugov this morning but have a feeling it's going to take forever to get to payout at the rate of surveys I am getting!

Plumber called round this weekend to give us a quote to replace our bathroom. It's the last major job that needs doing in the house and until we do that we can't move forward with decorating. Labour costs seem reasonable and it will probably be done in about 5 weeks so we best start choosing suites and tiles! It's only a tiny bathroom and we won't have shower as have other shower room but want it fully tiled and my first choice would be grey tiles with a feature strip. At least I have found a use for the matured regular saver!

Finally started the second HP book yesterday. DS is keen for me to read it quickly so we can watch the film! Am hoping to read and watch all of them by Christmas. Am currently trying to hit 15k steps a day so not getting a huge amount of reading time and have DOMS from Friday's workout!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • CathT
    • By CathT 3rd Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    Ds's birthday today and he's had a brilliant day. Wasn't sure what to buy him but decided on lego and it was a hit! He's had lots of fun building various things and lego has much more variety than it did when I was a child!

Managed to line dry washing a few days in a row which helps with energy costs and food spends remain low. I'm macro tracking but since giving up meat am struggling to hit my protein. Another weight workout done today and I didn't lose the ability to go up and down stairs!

Y0ugov survey waiting so hoping it's still there when I actually have time to do it.

Have really noticed the change in weather today and although we have briefly put the heating on twice I was hoping to leave it a bit longer but it's definitely nippy. I am trying not to put it on if I'm the only one who is cold!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 3rd Oct 17, 10:52 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 40,639 Thanks
    newgirly
    Happy birthday to your ds, glad he had a good day
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £17,514.78 paid so far

Mortgage £47,354 years 8 months left. Total owed £62,871.22 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weight loss target 37lb/22lb gone.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 5th Oct 17, 7:05 AM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    Thanks newgirly, it's party day today. Slightly less children than dd party but I think 18 5-6 year olds will be noisy enough!! I've wrapped a 'pass the parcel' and we'll play a couple of games of musical bumps/statues and planning lots of dancing.

Accounts checked yesterday and looking healthy so will move some across to new bathroom fund before it gets swallowed up. Haven't read meters yet so will do it by weekend at the latest.

Macro tracking and walking lots plus weight workouts is working so am motivated to keep going and it helps me feel in control.

Resisted putting the heating on when I got in from work yesterday, house would have benefitted from having the chill taken off it but no one else feels the cold and I just did hot water bottles at bedtime. More money saving by having cheap lunches, a 72p butternut squash made into soup has provided 3 lunches for me. Will try and be consistent with soup making as it also saves me having to prep lunch each day as I pre portion it due to macro tracking.

*almost* the weekend!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • CathT
    • By CathT 7th Oct 17, 1:51 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    Pretty impressed this morning that we had done all of our 'errands' by 11am! Needed to get myself some new black boots as the ones I bought last year had really scuffed and fell apart (buy cheap, buy twice) so got some I saw in Mr S during 25% off promotion. Unfortunately they didn't have my size then so had to pay full price today. Also got ds a new winter coat as he had outgrown last years and we passed it on a while ago. Also popped to bathroom place plumber has advised to have a look and by some miracle we have chosen our tiles! We are going for greys with hopefully a feature stripe but as it is a tiny bathroom we'll have to see how it will work. Have a few more brochures to browse through as have opted for a vanity unit for toilet and sink also due to the size of the room.

Bought some £1 tubs of soup from Mr S, one packed with lentils to help me with my protein. 50p on y0ugov yesterday so up to £20 now (cashed out in June). Accounts looking healthy with 13 days until payday. Have had to put heating on for a bit to dry clothes but also using heated airer. No need to read meter as last did it end of Sept (I don't remember doing this!!!).

Have accessed my pension pot online. Is the value of the pot the same as 'hypothetical annuity cost?'

Relaxing afternoon needed after a really busy week. Am going to put the kettle on and grab myself a blanket and HP book!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 7th Oct 17, 8:35 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    michelle09
    Sounds like you had a productive morning!

We picked our bathroom tiles by the salesman going "these are large and on sale". And telling me they had matching floor tiles.

Hope the blanket and HP book gave you a nice quiet afternoon.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 8th Oct 17, 7:35 AM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    We did a similar thing Michelle! Saw ones we liked on the display bathroom but hadn't noticed the floor tiles. After a quick browse around the showroom looking for matching ones we spotted the display model had them so decision made!

When we did the extension, choosing tiles was one of the few decisions we needed to make and that was a bit stressful and time consuming!

Did have a relaxing afternoon, also caught up on bake off and then had some vino in the evening. Busy morning today as dd has a football match but hopefully get back to reading my book later!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • CathT
    • By CathT 9th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    Anyone else find Mondays exhausting? I really could have napped at various points throughout the day today! Work diary is varied next two weeks so am expecting the time to fly. Did manage a weight workout after work in the hope avoiding sitting down would prevent a nap!

DH did a small top up shop today and it's now 10 days until payday so strict budget needed. Bathroom fund is £5.25 better off as interest has been paid. Am going to put the childrens' birthday money in their savings as they haven't wanted to spend it and don't really need anything. I've made a start on the Christmas shopping and ordered DS a table with a large lego base insert. Am sure I'll struggle to think of what else to get them both.
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 10th Oct 17, 4:27 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    michelle09
    Well even though it might be time consuming, you have to live with the choice so it does make sense to pick something you like!
    • CathT
    • By CathT 12th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    I am ready for this week to be over! dd has had a sickness bug and a nasty fall resulting in her needing an x-ray/no fracture but she has damaged her shoulder so needs physio. Dh now has the bug! On a positive note I checked the accounts (8 days until payday) and they looked healthy so have been able to make some transfers. Will keep spends low (ish) this week and hopefully have some left to be constructive with! Also hoping no one else gets struck by the sick bug!
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • CathT
    • By CathT 14th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    Well ds got the sick bug so it was only me that escaped! Unfortunately DH has lost quite a lot of pay this week through illness so hoping we can balance things out over the month.

Had a busy morning after my lie in! Got up to see DH had done all the household jobs so I ran all the errands. Done by lunchtime so have the rest of the weekend ahead of us. Student loan statement received which is depressing, it just doesn't seem to be reducing! A payment had been reversed which I'd queried but thankfully this has come off my account again. I think I still have about 8 years of repayments to go unless I get a decent cost of living payrise each year! The idea is then to repay the equivalent as an OP each month. I think I just missed out on the loan being wiped out so many years after graduation.

50p on y0ug0v and £100 sent to bathroom savings leaving us £47 to last a week. The challenge is on! Rough bathroom calculations show we just need another £300 to cover the suite, labour and tiles. We're going to full tile it and have ceiling spotlights. Although we don't currently use that room much as we prefer the shower room I'm really looking forward to it being done as the current bathroom is pretty tired looking and certainly not luxurious.

Planning to do a weight workout later and also spend some time relaxing and reading. It's all about balance! I also need to look at booking some long weekends off work which should be pretty motivating.

Hope you're all having a fab weekend.
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 14th Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    michelle09
    Wow, £47 is tough, but I'm sure you can do it! Are you planning to tile the ceiling as well?
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 14th Oct 17, 6:21 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 27,744 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hope your smallfolk are fully recovered.xxx
    • CathT
    • By CathT 15th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 5,381 Posts
    • 37,030 Thanks
    CathT
    Wow, £47 is tough, but I'm sure you can do it! Are you planning to tile the ceiling as well?
    Originally posted by michelle09
    Down to £24 now as topped up fuel and bought food for packed lunches. It's very do-able though and I also have a small amount of cash (about £7). We're having strip panels (PVC i think) and then no need for painting.

Have made a list of extra expenses we've had this month and it's reminded me to be grateful we have money left over as we count down the final days until payday. This month we have had both childrens' birthdays and parties so gifts and extra food to buy, both children had new school shoes (£50ish), football fees of £90 were paid, swimming fees of £124 were paid. Needed 3 new tyres which were about £110, ds had a new coat £24 and I had new boots £40. I've also spent £35 on a christmas present for ds and we went to a quiz fundraiser which was about £30! I actually think we have done rather well!

Hope your smallfolk are fully recovered.xxx
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Yes thank you SHS, they soon bounce back don't they. DH said he'd never felt so unwell. Somehow I have managed to escape it! Hope similar bugs aren't floating around your schools.
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,783
    part 2 - £45,999
    Total - £125,782
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Oct 17, 9:22 PM
    • 6,511 Posts
    • 65,699 Thanks
    greent
    Glad everyone has recovered x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 16th Oct 17, 7:18 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    michelle09
    Wow, you've done really well to have money left over from all that.

Is next month going to slightly less hectic?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,989Posts Today

6,508Users online

Martin's Twitter