Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    • 5,257Posts
    • 36,027Thanks
    CathT
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free
    • 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free 2nd Sep 10 at 11:22 AM
    Hi all,

Originally came across this forum and had the idea of OP in the short term while interest rates so low but have been so inspired to make being MF a realistic goal.
    Initially was inspired by Financial Bliss's diary and then read many others taking in lots of tips and posting the occasional comment.

So, a bit about me. Live with DH and DD (aged 2) with outstanding mortgage of just over 119,000 with about 19.5 years left on the term. We are young ish! and would hope to be MF by time i'm 40 (DH 45) so pretty much a 10 year ish plan.

We have a fair income (about 40k joint) but have been used to living on a lot less so am hoping to direct disposable income at mortgage)

Thanks for reading so far and I hope you will join me on my journey to keep me motivated!!
    Last edited by CathT; 20-12-2011 at 1:49 PM.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
Page 205
    • CathT
    • By CathT 4th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    Thank you shs and Alex. It definitely is about balance, how fab you have an apartment in such a great location. We have just booked next year's holiday to Benalmadina on the Costa del Sol.

We have had a much needed lazy weekend as we are still exhausted. We let the children stay up late on Saturday as they wanted to watch the football but despite a slight lay in today I am still lacking in energy. I'm eating far too much sugar which I'm sure can't be helping so bought supplies to make healthy salads for lunches this week. My body is craving nutritious food!
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • CathT
    • By CathT 7th Jun 17, 7:14 AM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    £50 y0ugov money has arrived and sent straight to the mortgage. It's a bit of a slog earning it but makes for a good OP.

Living frugally day to day at the moment and food stores lasting well.

Best wake the children, they are either still exhausted from holiday or finally good sleepers!
    Last edited by CathT; 07-06-2017 at 5:19 PM.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • CathT
    • By CathT 11th Jun 17, 8:28 AM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    Life is busy at the moment and struggling a bit with time management after getting used to switching off on holiday! Diet is terrible and no exercise has been done!

However, we have booked another holiday we are going back to Spain in September. The budget says we can afford it so why not!

Expensive weekend as DD needed new football boots as had outgrown hers (ds can have hers as he is quickly catching up with her) £42 spent! We need to spend another £14 at football today and it definitely adds up. Piano fees also due this week. I now understand why myself and siblings didn't get the opportunity to do anything outside of school!

Hoping the sun makes an appearance later, I'm feeling rather overwhelmed and sunshine always seems to help.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 11th Jun 17, 8:53 AM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 39,163 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi cath, glad you had a good holiday, plus another booked as well We all need a bit of a splurge sometimes and you are doing the right thing. My lot now don't want to go away with us when I finally feel ready to ease off the mortgage more and have more fun, typical!
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £14,264 paid so far

Mortgage £48,846 4 years 9 months left. Total owed £66,122 planning to clear in 24 months
    WW target - 29.5 lb start date 11/5/17 so far 10.5lb lost.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 13th Jun 17, 6:40 AM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    All about timing isn't it NG. I know we only have a few more years of the type of holiday we are enjoying as a family.

Payday is approaching so done a bit of a money shuffle to release spare funds. Another £120 paid off the holiday, I am tracking on a page in my A5 diary, not very technical or sophisticated but it works for us. Hopefully I can find some more payments before payday.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • CathT
    • By CathT 16th Jun 17, 6:50 AM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    Morning, got 50 points on y0ugov yesterday, food spends remain low and ee are scraping through the last few days until payday. I think I'm going to withdraw the £1400 in our s&s ISA to go towards the holiday as our other option is to suspend our £300 monthly mortgage overpayment which I would prefer not to do. Will run it by dh before I do it but I don't see him disagreeing!

Have started a squat and plank exercise challenge, I'm only on day 2 but 55 squats and a 20 second plank already completed. Diet is healthy but only managing 2 litres of water and I aim for 3 litres daily, will rectify that from today

Countdown to the weekend is on, have a 3 day weekend to look forward to and weather forecast is great so going to make he most of it. Planters in the garden are bursting with colour and sweet peas are growing well, I need to support them better though so will tackler that tomorrow. Thankfully the lawn has grown back well from the builders digging half of it up so all in all the garden looking good and ready to be enjoyed.

Happy Friday everyone
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • CathT
    • By CathT 18th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    Lost a post earlier so trying again now.

Not that much to report, payday for both of us this week so hopefully be able to pay a chunk off the holiday and set a frugal budget. We do have a night out with friends planned this month but childcare will be the biggest expense at £8 an hour it's a good job we don't go out very often!

Weather continues to be glorious here and I've spent most of the weekend outside. Have tried to get jobs done early in the day before it gets too hot. Am sure it is hotter for you further South! Mowed the lawns this weekend but today managed to break the lawnmower! We have a big problem with stones in the lawn I just can't seem to get rid of following the build, however the lawnmower broke when I was doing near the driveway edging! I have a track record for breaking things on father's day

Have just taken the children to a local park expecting it to be busy but it was really quiet and they had a fab time playing. Quick walk with them on their scooters was enough before hey got too hot and needed to come home for an ice cream.

On the to do list today is tackle childcare for the summer holidays, one of my least favourite jobs!
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 18th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 5,716 Posts
    • 39,163 Thanks
    newgirly
    We just drove by our local park and it was empty, I think it's just too hot , outside temperature was reading at 44 half an hour ago
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £14,264 paid so far

Mortgage £48,846 4 years 9 months left. Total owed £66,122 planning to clear in 24 months
    WW target - 29.5 lb start date 11/5/17 so far 10.5lb lost.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 20th Jun 17, 10:31 PM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    We just drove by our local park and it was empty, I think it's just too hot , outside temperature was reading at 44 half an hour ago
    Originally posted by newgirly
    It's been hot enough here newgirly, the heat down south must be unbearable. It's been a bit cooler here today but I didnt mind as I was in work! Payday for dh and there were errors again. It was quickly resolved but as he clocks in and out I don't understand the errors! Paid another £120 off the holiday, good to see the balance coming down have sold some isa funds to pay a big chunk off. We never had plans for that money and I think it's worthwhile.

We've also made a decision to have a cleaner and she's starting next month, I'm really looking forward to a shiny and sparkling house. We both work full-time and dh is busy extra-curricular stuff and our days just disappear.

50p on youg0v, small but consistent steps
    Last edited by CathT; 20-06-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • CathT
    • By CathT 24th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    Well doesn't the weather make a difference! Last weekend was spent at barbecues, water parks and paddling pools and generally enjoying the hot weather. Today we have been to the zoo and I wore jumper, coat and my boots!

S&S ISA money is on the way to the current account, we have both been paid and plan to live within our means! We have an expensive weekend next week as have a night out and childcare to pay for. We've also organised childcare for over the Summer, still have two days to sort but main cost is £253 for both children so not too bad and I'm just relieved it's sorted!

I managed to break our lawnmower last weekend so still have that to sort out but am tempted to get someone to mow the lawn for us! It's not been right since the building work and I'm undoing all the good work when I cut it! Buds are appearing on the sweet peas and we have 4 courgette flowers so last weekends sunshine has definitely helped.

Not feeling too great at the moment and some self care is needed so am going to curl up on the sofa with a book, a nap is also a possibility!

No wine for us this weekend and we actually hada nicer evening as we didn't fall asleep amdn managed to watch a film so think we will mostly continue with that. Wine also doesn't fit my macros and fitness is a priority for me, that reminds me I've not drunk any water yet today. I am so much better with the routine of work!
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • CathT
    • By CathT 27th Jun 17, 5:26 AM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    Been awake since 3:30am so it's going to be a long day! My sleep patterns aren't very good at the moment and I'm exhausted before 9pm each evening. Even dh is staying awake longer than me and he's up ridiculously early for work each day.

ISA money paid off the credit card so most of holiday is paid off before we need to pay the rest of the deposit for our 2018 holiday.

150 points on youg0v last two days, still a long way to go but worth it when I reach payout!

Sweet peas are starting to bloom in the garden so am looking forward to being able to pick them and have them in the house.

Keeping day to day spending low and not spending huge amounts on food so that's helping us to strike the balance.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 28th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 2,625 Posts
    • 16,716 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    Hi Cath.... How are you all enjoying the extension? Did you cope OK with all of the mess? It drove me nuts at the time, but I liken it to childbirth - the pain is forgotten, we enjoy the wonder of the extension and could be tempted to do it again in the future, despite declaring never again at the time!

It's lovely to have a holiday to look forward to and, if you can afford it, something that rates quite high on my list of important things to spend money on!

Lula x
    • CathT
    • By CathT 29th Jun 17, 5:52 AM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    We love it thank you, completely stopped my rightm0ve addiction. The space has transformed our home and we haven't looked back despite having a second mortgage now! We still need to paint the utility room and landing but need to replace the upstairs bathroom first. The old me would have wanted this done straight away but I'm happy to wait until we have saved up the money. Should probably start a fund for that but other things are taking priority.

Been awake since 3am again so got up in an attempt to be productive, mopped utility room and shower room floor, checked accounts and did a 50 point y0ug0v survey. Somehow I've found myself on here!
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 29th Jun 17, 7:55 AM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 9,620 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    If you keep getting up at 3am and are running out of jobs then pop round to our house...It's like a perpetual cycle of washing machine, drying clothes, picking up clothes... and every now and again we see the carpets for long enough to run a hoover over them. So feel free to help out!!
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023... 29//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £30,703.25
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £105,296.75 // Avg Daily Interest £4.73
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 47.86% of £41,000
    • CathT
    • By CathT 30th Jun 17, 9:26 AM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    Sorry SJ, slept until 6am today.

Keeping spends low and stoozing what we can on the credit card. Dh has done consistent overtime which will hopefully be reflected in this month's pay!

2nd load of washing on but waiting for the rain to stop to avoid using the tumble dryer. Going to do some quick painting before HUTH and a coffee. A bit of sun would seriously help my motivation!
    Last edited by CathT; 30-06-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    Managed to get two doors painted before boredom set in. Somehow missed out bedroom door so I'll do that tomorrow. Also painted the landing banister, it's very 70's and ideally I'd like it replaced with spindles but a coat or two of paint will have to do.

Been a bit spendy, ordered a personal development type book off eb@y for £9 and we went out last night. £45 babysitter and about £50 on drinks which was a mix of the pub and the after party. Dh has been very unwell today and my day has been a series of doing washing and providing dh with drinks to help him! We did have a fab night but don't think he'll be drinking again for a while!

Weather has been great today so been out in the garden, took the children to the park and line dried all my washing!

Plan for next two weeks until payday is as many NSD's as possible. CB hits account next week but I have £253 childcare costs to find and still have 2 days to sort out. I will diarise it all tomorrow so I know exactly where we are up to.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 3rd Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 2,625 Posts
    • 16,716 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    £45 for a babysitter? Was it an all night job??!!
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 3rd Jul 17, 5:45 PM
    • 5,738 Posts
    • 29,611 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Re. the babysitter. My wife wants to plan a night out sans son but I hardly drink anymore and would rather take our son with us for a nice meal then go for a walk. Will quote these figures ... even though he could stay the night with my cousin.
    Money saved 2017: £3330. Overpayments 2017: £500.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 3rd Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 18,902 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Holiday and night out sounds great. Summer childcare costs very low, how did you do it? Thanks x
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • CathT
    • By CathT 4th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 5,257 Posts
    • 36,027 Thanks
    CathT
    Babysitter was £8 an hour. The two ladies we have used have worked at the nursery our children went to so know our children and are well qualified and trusted. If we went out more often we definitely couldn't afford it but for our annual night out we can justify it!

Hi EG, the children are going to a football camp for 3 of the weeks Mon-Thurs. A friend is going to take them in the mornings with her children as it doesn't start until 10am so I will take my two to theirs before work and DH will pick them all up. I feel very grateful to have friends to help us out and we try and do the same.

Logged in to submit meter readings and direct debit has gone up by £25 a month. I did expect it at some point and there is some wiggle room in that budget. There goes my 1% payrise!

100 points on y0ug0v this morning so that's steadily going back up. Tried to submit a support ticket on t0pcashback but need to wait another week. Fingers crossed my cashback becomes payable before then as it's going towards the holiday fund.

Have made myself a mini to-do list so once I've found some motivation I'll make a start!
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £81,002
    part 2 - £46,583
    Total - £127,585
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,867Posts Today

7,343Users online

Martin's Twitter