Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    • 5,113Posts
    • 34,828Thanks
    CathT
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free
    • 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free 2nd Sep 10 at 11:22 AM
    Hi all,

Originally came across this forum and had the idea of OP in the short term while interest rates so low but have been so inspired to make being MF a realistic goal.
    Initially was inspired by Financial Bliss's diary and then read many others taking in lots of tips and posting the occasional comment.

So, a bit about me. Live with DH and DD (aged 2) with outstanding mortgage of just over 119,000 with about 19.5 years left on the term. We are young ish! and would hope to be MF by time i'm 40 (DH 45) so pretty much a 10 year ish plan.

We have a fair income (about 40k joint) but have been used to living on a lot less so am hoping to direct disposable income at mortgage)

Thanks for reading so far and I hope you will join me on my journey to keep me motivated!!
    Last edited by CathT; 20-12-2011 at 1:49 PM.
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
Page 201
    • CathT
    • By CathT 13th Mar 17, 4:37 PM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    Oh my word, I'm shattered! Walked the children to school this morning and took washing to my mum's. We were about to head off to 1kea when the electrician rang us to say one of the light boxes was empty despite it still having the security seal! We took it back and the grumpy sales assistant clearly didn't believe us. However, they allowed us another one and the lights are up and look very pretty! We spent 2.5 hours in Ikea and although didn't go for anything specific we bought some plants, artificial flowers and vase, desk and stool, bench with shoe rack, candles and fabric boxes for storage unit. The unit was bought off bookface and came with black and green storage boxes so grey will match our colour schemes much better! Got home just in time for me to walk back up for the children!

Builders are here sorting the drains. I just need to find out what's happening as we don't know when joiner or tiler next due and it feels like we are stalling again! I did ask him for a completion date a few times this morning but he avoided the question!

Dh has taken Ds swimming so I best prepare a meal. In all honesty I could do with a nap!!
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
    • CathT
    • By CathT 15th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    Morning!!

Just a quick update from me. Building wise the shower room suite arrived yesterday and plumber is due Thursday or Friday. Once the shower tray is in the tiling can be done which the builder is chasing up with the tiler. Due to availability the builder may be doing it Monday so fingers crossed we can get our appliances in next week! It's been weeks without a washing machine. Joiners seem to have gone AWOL so will get builders to chase them up. A joiner friend is calling later to see if he can do the utility room for us so good progress there.

NSD yesterday and i managed to eat healthily. I'm back on the plan i was doing g (more of an 80/20 approach) as the protein shakes and keeping me much more full and stabilising my blood sugars to prevent snacking! Hoping it will restore my energy levels too!

It's another sunny day here and it's our wedding anniversary, we've been together 15 years today and married for 13 which really makes me feel old!

Have a good hump day everyone
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Mar 17, 7:38 AM
    • 813 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    Happy anniversary
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Mar 17, 1:08 PM
    • 5,698 Posts
    • 57,613 Thanks
    greent
    Happy double anniversary! xx
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £67286 - 2017 target (18) £1000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £435.84/£500 PAYDOX17 £8983/£10k Apr GC £265.66/£500 NSD 12 Decluttered 691/2017 items
    • Brodiebobs
    • By Brodiebobs 15th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 3,065 Thanks
    Brodiebobs
    Happy Anniversary!
    Addicted to MSE.
    Overpaying mortgage for a better debt free life!
    • Pearla*Merle
    • By Pearla*Merle 15th Mar 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    Pearla*Merle
    Aww, happy anniversary! xx
    a penny picker upper. every penny's a prisoner!
    £26.65 til OnePoll payout! Round six! | Save £3710.02/£15,000
    Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.
    Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.
    The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 16th Mar 17, 7:26 AM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 37,887 Thanks
    newgirly
    Happy belated anniversary cath 💐
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £6,135 paid so far

Mortgage £53,630 5 yrs 2 months left. Total owed £74,251 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weight loss target 2017 28lb target /1.5
    • CathT
    • By CathT 17th Mar 17, 7:11 AM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    Thank you for the anniversary wishes. Dh surprised me by writing a beautiful poem (I'm assuming it's not an original!) in my card. I usually get a basic comment!!

Well it feels like it's been a really long week even though i was off on Monday. I am embracing the Friday feeling!!

Accounts checked and for a change we have too much money at the end of the month. Not huge amounts but enough for us to be productive with it. I am impressed we still have £67 left out of a £500 food and fuel budget though). I'll probably pay any spare off the t3sco balance. 34p Tilly tidy made too.
    We both get paid next week sounds need to set us another strict budget to keep this productivity going!

Building progress?

Shower room suite has arrived and tiler has started to level the floor. He's back today to finish that with the plan to tile next week. Plumber due back today i think to fit the shower tray. Joiners have almost finished the bedroom,just the window sills to do. As soon as i realised they'd almost done i text our decorator yesterday after work and he called round last night to price up! He's definitely on my wavelength,I always want things done yesterday.hesaid he may have some availability week after next

Builders also due to do the guttering today so it should be all systems go!

Had managed to survive without central heating the last few days but popped it on this morning as temps have dropped and dh is going to return later with wet washing from my mum's!

Happy Friday everyone! I've got 9 days off after today so am especially happy!!
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
    • CathT
    • By CathT 19th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    Good morning.

Not a lot happening here! Payday for dh tomorrow so I'll do a final swipe of the accounts today. I may also start the money shuffle too! M*s cards been topped up again but i resisted going for any dine in deals! Am really trying to focus on being more healthy which means no more wine!! We shared our final bottle of red last night! The free wine is usually my motivation for getting the dine in deals!

We finally cleared the snug yesterday and re-organsied things. I'd bought some grey boxes to go in one of our ike@ storage units and hey match the room much better. Old storage boxes due to be sold but so far encountered two timewasters on bookface! Now the room is organised there is room to work out so I've done 10 mins (5k) on the bike (mind numbingly boring) and a few weights and very short hiit session. I've definitely lost my motivation and self discipline so hoping to get back into it this week as I'm off work.

We have had another problem/delay with the build. I got home on Friday to see loads of builders and both fans here. They were planning to do the r guttering but he inspector isn't happy. They had left the drains exposed for him to check but he wants the guttering to have a soakaway in the lawn. Here is not a huge hole in the lawn and I'm assuming they still need to dig some kind of trench leading to it!! Dh said two lads were digging for ages and they still need to go down another metre!

I was hoping to be putting plants around d the extension this week to make it look pretty!

Tiler is calling this afternoon to level the floor then i think he's tiling thursday. Joiners still need to do windowsills in bedroom and then that's ready for decorating. Quote is in for that, it's £300 but for us it's a luxury worth having as we both dislike decorating and so don't do a good job!! Our decorator also does an amazing job!

25p on y0ugov this morning, up to £41.25 on there now.
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
    • CathT
    • By CathT 21st Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    Morning. It's sunny but cold here today. My mum kindly did something for me yesterday so I've got that on the line and just hope it dries as that sunshine is deceiving.

Money shuffle done yesterday as dh for paid, CB will have credited today and i get paid later in the week. Dh wage was better than expected as he had some unpaid leave, he's pursued an accident claim so well see how that goes.

85p Tilly tidy made yesterday and sent money that was left in the food account (£92.72) to t3sco. One of the cc will need a balance transfer by May and FD has offered a deal I can use for that. Plan is to reduce it as much as possible by by then.

Sold some storage boxes at the weekend for £5 so paid that off the mortgage.

Am expecting the joiners here today, builders here tomorrow to do external work and tiler here Thurs and Fri. So much for a peaceful week off work pottering!

Builders have sent over another invoice and we are on budget. Builder won't commit to an end date but he did imply it's almost done so I'm hoping by the end of the month or certainly the week after which would be in time for Easter holidays. I can hope!
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
    • CathT
    • By CathT 22nd Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    Having a morning sorting through paperwork. Have managed to register some details online for our holiday. I'm holding off pre-booking seats at the moment due to charges. We can't all sit together anyway so as long as we can each sit with one of the children that should be ok. I'll keep an eye on it as the weeks go on as it's about two months until we fly. I've also registered for our EHIC and checked our travel insurance which is free through our current account. Mortgage statement has also arrived and I was £500 out on our spreadsheet so it has been corrected in our favour and knocked a month off the term! Currently due to finish that part October 2028, I'll be 46 so would be very happy with that. The other part is only £200 a month so not so worried about that one.....just yet!

Popped to the store we're getting our appliances from as we have reserved them but not ready for them to be delivered until at least next week at the earliest. Just wanted to let them know that we haven't disappeared, our tradesmen have Builders have been here today to do the guttering, done a bit of digging and now gone after loading van up with materials off our drive!! Joiner also due after not being able to call yesterday but he's not here yet and we really need him to finish off as decorator provisionally booked for next week. Can you tell it's one step forward and two back here at the moment!

We've also arranged for a local bathroom company to come and give us a quote tomorrow. From work on their fb page I think the work could be done for £2500 which is what we have left from my backpay and I want it to go towards to a good use rather than being frittered. We're not having a shower in that bathroom so that will also keep costs down.

Health wise am trying to keep up my step count (not helped by it raining on the school run meaning I drove) and am tracking everything through MFP. It's working so far although I'm definitely not as fit as I was. I'm taking it slowly though as still getting a lot of lung pain which I'm sure should be improving!

I had planned to sort through the childrens' dressing up costumed today and photograph and sell any that are too small but I am seriously lacking motivation
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
    • CathT
    • By CathT 24th Mar 17, 9:49 AM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    Morning all. It's sunny here and warming up so hoping for a good day.

Payday for me has arrived, all money shuffled and bills paid. I had some expenses back this month so have paid that straight off the t3sco card.

Builders were here yesterday and due back later. Tiler also finishing off today so all systems go!
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
    • CathT
    • By CathT 26th Mar 17, 9:48 AM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    Morning!

Really quick update. Tiler finished off on Friday and is due back on Monday or Tuesday. Only problem is the wrong wall tiles were delivered on Friday. Builder was going to try and sort it but no update as yet and i was out all day yesterday for my business. I'll give him a text later to see what the plan is as we're hoping the plumber is booked for the end of the week. He's done all the prep so it's literally just fitting the suite which i would hope wouldn't take more than day or two? Fortunately the garden is almost back to normal, it just needs a lot of grass seed now!

Off to the cinema later with dd at her request. She wants to see Beauty and the Beast which I'm embracing as she never wants to do things like that. Hoping for lots of family time today as was out of the house 6am to 8:30pm yesterday!

Cc paid and sent a other £15 to the t3sco card. Think we've got about £100 for miscellaneous spends left until payday which should be ample with our frugal ways
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 26th Mar 17, 12:30 PM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 37,887 Thanks
    newgirly
    Enjoy the film
    MFW 21

Mortgage £53,630 5 yrs 2 months left. Total owed £74,251 planning to clear in 18 months
    • CathT
    • By CathT 28th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    Enjoy the film
    Originally posted by newgirly
    Thanks Newgirly, we both loved it! DD turned to me partway through to tell me how much she was enjoying it I was reminded why we don't often go as we spent almost £17 on two tickets It was with it though.

Havent been as frugal as we hoped this week as also spent nearly £20 in the launderette yesterday. The new appliances are being delivered tomorrow and plumber sue end of the week to fit the shower room but I'd rather he plumbed in the washing machine first. We currently only have an outlet pipe and no other attachments! The tiling will be finished today and then grouted tomorrow and i cant wait to see what the room will look like! I did splash out on a fact towel holder from N3XT for £60 which was a bit indulgent but will finish the room off brilliantly.

Decorator has been delayed until next week which isn't a huge disaster as not planning g to move DD into her new room until the Easter holidays. All that's left to do after the decorating is done is get carpet fitted and buy her a new bed. All her other furniture is stuff we already have. I can't wait to see it furnished though!

75 points on y0ugov yesterday so edging closer to payout on there, were not making many extra ad hoc OP's apart from our regular standing order so be good to see if we can knock off another month or colour in another brick!

Have also sent off my P60 as a student loan payment has been reversed and I don't know where it's gone. Hopefully hmrc have some idea!
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
    • Muser1
    • By Muser1 28th Mar 17, 6:41 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 4,031 Thanks
    Muser1
    I love this forum for the anonymity but sometimes I wish it was like inst45ram so I could have a nosey at your extension pics!
    Mortgage Jan 13 99260.00 Nov 16 88800.34
    Emergency fund 2500.00
    • CathT
    • By CathT 31st Mar 17, 6:55 PM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    I love this forum for the anonymity but sometimes I wish it was like inst45ram so I could have a nosey at your extension pics!
    Originally posted by Muser1

Haha Muser, some people are good at linking them but mine are just on fb.

Well the joiners are plumber were meant to have done their work by now but they've been delayed. Joiners calling tomorrow and plumber Monday so I'm really hoping this is our last weekend living in chaos!

Appliances have arrived but we've kept them packaged up until joiners call tomorrow. Looking forward to getting them in position. It's just a shame we still don't have any pipes to connect the washing machine to as I'd hoped our weekend launderette trips were over!

Have felt particularly tired this week, not had a midweek day off and am back on antibiotics as still got pneumonia symptoms! Have been chasing up my x-ray results all week but they seem to be taking ages to come back. Gp feels i may also need a CT scan so hoping antibiotics do the trick to make me well.

Dh has taken both of her children to football training (ds's first time with this club so hoping he's enjoyed it as some older boys weren't nice to him when he went to a Saturday club recently. Plan for the rest of the evening is to stay awake to enjoy our evening. It's been a busy week and we've had somewhere to be each evening and dh has worked crazy hours. The weekend couldn't come soon enough his week.
    Last edited by CathT; 31-03-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 31st Mar 17, 7:26 PM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 37,887 Thanks
    newgirly
    Sorry you are still not great Cath, hope you feel better soon x
    MFW 21

• AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 31st Mar 17, 10:23 PM
    • 5,566 Posts
    • 28,466 Thanks
    AlexLK
    Re. the tradesmen.

Really sorry to hear you're still not well. Hope you make a full recovery soon.
    Savings 2017: £1490. Overpayments 2017: £500.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Apr 17, 8:58 AM
    • 5,113 Posts
    • 34,828 Thanks
    CathT
    Thanks newgirly and Alex, the pains have improved so fingers crossed the antibiotics are working. On them for two weeks so hopefully this is me back to good health.still waiting for chest x-ray results but hopefully they will be back tomorrow.

Joiners called yesterday and there appears to be a huge lack of communication. There are several outstanding joinery jobs but he wasn't aware of them all and was only doing the utility room. However, that is done now and the plumber is due tomorrow to fit the suite. Our new appliances are now in situ and tumble dryer is operational. Hoping for the same for the washing machine tomorrow as spent another £7.60 in the launderette yesterday and that was me sitting there doing it myself!

Bathroom quote also in. We have a tiny bathroom and don't require a shower in there. I had budgeted £2500 and was pleased as thought quote was £2k. That was only the first part though and the total is £4138!! They have charged £330 for shower we don't need and £120 to remove the tiles (which we would do) but even so it's far too much. Am i underestimating bathroom costs? I think the fact we have gone to a builders merchants to select our shower room and seen 'cost' prices has influenced us!

It was cloudy here all day yesterday but sun shining today. Plan is to go and watch DD at her football match and then pop to the zoo. Yesterday went really fast so am hoping today slows down a bit!
    Last edited by CathT; 02-04-2017 at 9:09 PM.
    June 2010 £121,287
    April 2017 £81,658
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

896Posts Today

6,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: Is your vote already locked in? Have you decided who you will vote for in the General Election?

• RT @gabyhinsliff: When you're so desperate for Frexit to shore up Brexit that you're kind of relaxed about fascism https://t.co/yLmdqNHeHu

• Morning. I'm on my way to @thismorning first for "five ways to put £100s in your pocket" then an open (what I call brown trouser) phone in!

• Follow Martin