Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    • 5,351Posts
    • 36,747Thanks
    CathT
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free
    • 2nd Sep 10, 11:22 AM
    CT's attempt at being mortgage free 2nd Sep 10 at 11:22 AM
    Hi all,

Originally came across this forum and had the idea of OP in the short term while interest rates so low but have been so inspired to make being MF a realistic goal.
    Initially was inspired by Financial Bliss's diary and then read many others taking in lots of tips and posting the occasional comment.

So, a bit about me. Live with DH and DD (aged 2) with outstanding mortgage of just over 119,000 with about 19.5 years left on the term. We are young ish! and would hope to be MF by time i'm 40 (DH 45) so pretty much a 10 year ish plan.

We have a fair income (about 40k joint) but have been used to living on a lot less so am hoping to direct disposable income at mortgage)

Thanks for reading so far and I hope you will join me on my journey to keep me motivated!!
    Last edited by CathT; 20-12-2011 at 1:49 PM.
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
Page 200
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 26th Feb 17, 6:30 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 4,396 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    seconded
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £158200
    h@lifax CC £4300 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    CC daughter gift and holiday spends £2200
    • CathT
    • By CathT 26th Feb 17, 3:45 PM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Ah thank you! It's getting spent slowly (only in theory up to now!)

Fairly relaxing day, hung some washing out (my mum did loads yesterday as gone on holiday today,) so I needed to get the all dry. I brought it back in in the same state I hung it out! it might be breezy but maybe we're not quite at the line drying washing stage yet.

Food spends updated, we've somehow only spent £110 so far this month. I'm doing a nutrition plan which means I'm only having to buy food for dinner and then snacks such as houmous, blueberries and apples. Sounds restrictive but I've loved it and have seen results and realised my bad habits and emotional relationship with food. I've not been hungry either

Have started pricing up appliances ready to compare to the ones off the company doing our utility room. Tiles also chosen for the shower room, that was much harder than I thought and I've just remembered I was meant to go on Pinterest to look for ideas of how to do the tiles. We're having a neutral colour with a mosaic border so wondering whether to have a double width strips around the room or a stripe on two levels. Also wondering how to design it around the sink. First decisions we've really had to make and it's taking us forever!

Have made homemade pizzas with DD, dh is baking with her and we have a roast dinner to look forward to. Almost feel ready for he week ahead
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • CathT
    • By CathT 27th Feb 17, 9:27 PM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Well that's Monday over with

Small food shop done after work spending just over £30. That takes total food spends for the month to....

Food. £196.96

Builders not been today so fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Not much else to report really, just one day closer to payday.
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • CathT
    • By CathT 28th Feb 17, 9:36 PM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Well, no builders today but have been reassured they're coming tomorrow and plasterers starting on Thursday ( my day off which is typical!) The house is freezing tonight so having a room with no doorway or insulation isn't helpful! We've also had the quote for the utility room, it includes washing machine and tumble dryer for £3385 which seems a lot but is what we were expecting. It really will finish off the extension brilliantly and provide us with some much needed storage space!

Had bank fraud team on the phone today but I'd gone to make a payment to my cc last night and a box came up asking for extra information so I cancelled the transaction. Fingers crossed it's gone through fine tonight!
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 28th Feb 17, 11:08 PM
    • 5,820 Posts
    • 30,217 Thanks
    AlexLK
    This doesn't sound good. Did you know about the builders break or is it impromptu?
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From a £32,000 debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 1st Mar 17, 6:44 AM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    This doesn't sound good. Did you know about the builders break or is it impromptu?
    Originally posted by AlexLK
    Overall we are really pleased with them but we're now days off being 5 months in and still a bit to do. We haven't had a full week of work for ages. Some weeks there's only one or two days where here are tradesman here which has been frustrating as those gaps have added up to weeks over the course of the build. In some ways I feel our build has been forgotten about now as we know they are busy taking on other projects. However, apart from the brick and steelwork they subcontract everything else so that shouldn't impact. Hopefully once the plasterers have been we are only waiting on electrician, plumber and joiner for second fix work. Then the builders need to finish guttering. I just didn't expect the project to go 3 months over estimated timescale!

Fingers crossed for some good progress the rest of this week. I know I shouldn't complain but when the tradesman don't turn up in the week it means work spills over into the weekend. I'd much prefer the work to be going on when we are all out of the house!
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • CathT
    • By CathT 2nd Mar 17, 2:25 PM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Having a productive day off. Hospital appointment for DD and no intervention needed until she's had orthodontic treatment when she's older. Dental appointment for me, piles of washing taken to launderette to be washed, dried and folded. I'm splashing out on that!

Have been to look at fridge freezers and have reserved an American style fridge freezer, washing machine and condenser dryer for £1020 including delivery. All we need now is the water supply back on in the utility room!

Also went to h0wdens as we have had a quote from the company that did our kitchen to supply and fit 5 cupboards. They have quoted us £2700 mentioned it to our builders who said it's something our joiners could do. H0wdens will send price to joiners so that all went well!

Plasterers here today and they have boarded the shower room and most of the utility room. It's all a bit slow progress upstairs as the building inspector wanted all the insulation taken back out so he could check something. The builder was only supposed to be here to meet the inspector first thing but he's still here now. Hoping it hasn't delayed things but there seems to be quite a bit of work to do up there.

In other news, dh needs an x-ray as the GP wants to rule out a fracture from the slip he had at work a couple of weeks ago! Fingers crossed all is okay! he's going tomorrow but am sure results will take a while.
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • chumpy45
    • By chumpy45 3rd Mar 17, 5:50 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    chumpy45
    Hi CathT, I have just finished reading your diary from start to finish. What a journey you have had. I feel your pain with the builders. We had an extension 3 years ago now, and although it is challenging to experience, especially with young children, we absolutely love the end result. It has made such a difference to our house and the way we live in it iykwim! You are so hard working and a real inspiration. I look forward to following the rest of your journey
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. Mortgage as at 01.09.15 - £54,780.04; 01.11.15 £49,577.04;01.03.16 £45,799.32; 01.08.16 £42,418.93; 01.10.16 £40,119.5 01.02.17 £36,584.00; 01.04.17 £34,694.71 09.06.17 £32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017;
    • CathT
    • By CathT 4th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Hi chumpy, wow thank you for reading the whole thing! It's was mostly drivel of should we move house or not! We are definitely settled now and I have cured my rightmost addiction. Although the house isn't quite finished we know we probably wouldn't be able to afford a house of his size and standard in the area we would like. Was definitely the right thing for us to do. I am looking forward to making a large overpayment with the leftover building funds though

Today hàs consisted of....

DS already has been to a birthday party and has another with DD later. He has made a swift recovery from having steroids for croup last night!
    Food shop done and splashed out £6.99 for mats for dh car.
    Basket of clothes taken to launderette
    Tried to analyse my statement from student loans company and wondering why balance only reduced by £106 in a year when I've repaid on average £80 a month
    Plasterers spent the morning here, insulation back in and bedroom almost fully boarded. Shower room and utility plastered apart from one small bit by he door.

I'm off out for a meal with friends in a bit and am looking forward to being for a couple of hours! Then plan is home to share wine with dh (not had a drop for 5 weeks!)
    Last edited by CathT; 04-03-2017 at 9:14 PM.
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • CathT
    • By CathT 5th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Trying to rein in the spends at the moment! Had a lovely meal out and spent £11 including a rip. Drank water and declined a dessert! The launderette cost £10 so am relieved my lovely mum is back off holiday today! The children had two birthday parties but we used present from supplies here (both re-gifted presents). DD has been invited out for Sunday lunch by a friend (better social life that me!) Dh has gone for a sleep as was up early to do an overtime shift today.

I've also renewed my professional subscription and for the first time have had the option to pay in quarterly installments which helps with the cash flow!

Spreadsheet checked and mortgage balance on part one has reduced by £546 this month. It's nice to know every other month we will break through a £1k barrier and colour in another mortgage brick.
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • CathT
    • By CathT 5th Mar 17, 1:35 PM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Sudden end to that post as DS wanted a cuddle. He's losing his voice but is coughing less so hoping he's on he mend.

Meter readings submitted and we are £55 in debit so they are suggesting I increase DD by £30 a month, I think not! We will recoup that but it doesn't help that it's been snowing today!! However, I was the only one who was a bit cold so just popped on an extra pair of fluffy socks!! Dh never feels the cold and the children don't stop moving around!

March spends

Food. £144.40
    Petrol £105
    Last edited by CathT; 18-03-2017 at 5:16 PM.
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • CathT
    • By CathT 7th Mar 17, 7:13 AM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Morning, a really quick update from me as I don't seem to have the time to do anything lately!

Plasterers were here again yesterday and will finish today. Hoping that means the other trades will be here next week. The space looks even bigger now!

Dh's car is in the garage but he's got a fab courtesy car. I think he's caught onto the money saving as he had to top it up with fuel so he's going to drive to a shopping outlet he's been meaning to so that he makes the most of the fuel!

All quiet on the money front too, have kept a good chunk of my backpay back as still undecided what we will use it for. Still haven't heard off the joiner about the utility room. Fortunately we know of a few joiners through friends so do have other options but I wish people would follow through with things.

Do you ever have the feeling it's just going to be one of those weeks? Am sure I will be more than ready for my long weekend off by Friday!
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • CathT
    • By CathT 8th Mar 17, 7:04 AM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Plasterers have finished

Contacted builders and other trades are hoping to get back some time this week. Joiners due end of the week and electrician will try and call between the job he is on at the moment. Need to speak to plumber as the quote is only for part tiling but unless they do all of it we can't use the space! I really am hoping that by the end of next week the spaces will be transformed. I'm off the following week and i was hoping to I'd be able to make the space look pretty but don't think there's enough time! We are definitely getting there though.
    Is it sad that I'm looking forward to paying the last invoice so I know what we have got left for a large OP!?!
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 8th Mar 17, 7:43 AM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 6,154 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    So pleased you are nearly done in the extension and that you have money left over for an OP.

I have been following with interest as the property we are hopefully buying has PP for a 2 storey extension. I don't think we will be able to go ahead with it until we have been there a while though.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 9th Mar 17, 7:14 AM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    So pleased you are nearly done in the extension and that you have money left over for an OP.

I have been following with interest as the property we are hopefully buying has PP for a 2 storey extension. I don't think we will be able to go ahead with it until we have been there a while though.
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Good luck with your move SALE, exciting times. We bought his house 12 years ago with plans drawn up but it's taken us until now to create our own plans nd finally go with it!

Hadn't checked the bank accounts for a few days. Pleased to see we haven't eaten into the surplus backpay, two cc are up to date. The balance has finally fallen to <£7k from a high of £23k a few years ago! 88p Tilly tidy today, piano lessons paid for yesterday so transferred the cash and there's almost £15 spare. DD is also playing in a piano competition so small fee paid for that.

Re: the build. I noticed yesterday the plasterers hardiness the complete ceiling in the utility and not left any electrical wires for lighting exposed! I'm hoping g that's how it's meant to look but they've left them out upstairs! Maybe we'll have an unhappy electrician! Build!Dear calling either today or tomorrow to discuss shower room order. Plumber due tomorrow and joiners Saturday so hopefully some good progress will me made again
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • CathT
    • By CathT 10th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Happy Friday Even better that I'm not working today!

Plumber has been and done the new radiators. Unfortunately they're not connected so the house is no warmer! DH has spoken to our builders and apparently the electrician will have a plan of how the lights are meant to be! Shower room order given to builders and we've also asked for the whole floor to be done. Hopefully tiler be here next week but waiting on builders to confirm what's happening next week. I tend to ask every couple of weeks what the plan is for that week. Hope I'm not annoying them but surely it's acceptable to know what progress to expect each week

50p on y0ug0v so back up to 4000 points, on the final straight now! That will be going straight off the mortgage. Current account checked and after subtracting what is left out of my backpay we still have money left this month! £330 to last 10 days which is far too much for us I reckon I can use at least £200 for OP/cc payment!

Off out with my mum at some point today, will go to a local garden centre and hopefully she can choose something nice for her birthday I wonder if a pretty hanging basket will detract from the look of the full skip on the drive!
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • CathT
    • By CathT 11th Mar 17, 8:57 AM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Had a lovely afternoon with my mum and also popped to m*s to get the dine in deal with my vouchers. Spend £22 ish on food/wine and £17.99 on a cardigan (in one of my top colours) and it all came from vouchers! Spent cash on mums birthday present from the garden centre. Also did a load of washing at mums saving us money so need to get that hung out his morning. I'll pop here Sunday/Monday to do some more. It's just so much easier now it can be line dried!

Arrived home from our relaxing afternoon out to loads of builders here! They had gone to connect the drain and on lifting up the manhole cover found it full to the top! Drains unblocked and they had just finished before I got home!! Dh rang water company who came to check and said they've trimmed some roots but we don't know why it continues to block every few years.

Hoping to do something nice with the children today so willing the sun to come out!
    Last edited by CathT; 12-03-2017 at 9:03 PM.
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 11th Mar 17, 9:07 AM
    • 5,857 Posts
    • 40,009 Thanks
    newgirly
    I'm sure nobody will notice the skip if you put a hanging basket up your extension sounds great and it's making me want to have one of our own!
    MFW 21
    Target for 2017 £38,545 / £17,514.78 paid so far

Mortgage £47,354 years 8 months left. Total owed £62,871.22 planning to clear in 18 months
    Weight loss target 37lb/22lb gone.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 11th Mar 17, 10:53 AM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    I'm sure nobody will notice the skip if you put a hanging basket up your extension sounds great and it's making me want to have one of our own!
    Originally posted by newgirly
    Well that's what I hoped

Got off to a slow start this morning but 50p on y0ugov and dh has gone to kitchen place as they've not been in touch with our joiner. They've not actioned our email so we're going to ask elsewhere! All these delays are a bit frustrating but hey ho, am sure it will be completed eventually.
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • CathT
    • By CathT 12th Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 36,747 Thanks
    CathT
    Another weekend almost over. I started off the day by doing my first workout for months! Did 30 minutes and a mixture of weights and HIIT. So pleased i managed to do it and am not completely unfit! Had no lung pain or problems during the workout which was my concern but i still get pain throughout the day. It seems to be a super long recovery process.

Popped to our local park (which is huge and has a lake) for a play and picnic organised by one of the school mums. We had a really lovely time and it will definitely be repeated. Lots of us have zoo membership too so it's an option to all meet there one day.

Did a bit of money shuffling yesterday but i still need to send funds to their final destination! I will get around to it. Also did a couple of jobs off tomorrow's to do list which will save some time and stress. Main thing i need to do tomorrow is ring he student loans company. They have refunded a payment due to my training year but i haven't received the payment and my outstanding student loan balance isn't particularly promising!! Dh is just going to work a half day tomorrow (he will finish at 7am) as i cant get the day off for our wedding anniversary this week and we're going to go to ikea!! How romantic
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,507Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin