IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much to post a DVD?
Closed Thread
Views: 13,077
# 1
marka87uk
Old 23-09-2006, 5:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default How much to post a DVD?

Sorry if this is the wrong place...

Thinking of putting up a few DVD's on eBay and maybe Amazon, but the new postage costs are confusing me! How much is it to send a normal sized DVD case? I'm sure someone on here has sent DVD's before!
The Following User Says Thank You to marka87uk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
cafenervosa
Old 23-09-2006, 5:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Depends on what size it is. If its a single DVD movie your looking at 65p first class, maybe less. The average dvd Box set will cost £1.70 1st class if its quite thick.

hope that helps.
# 3
marka87uk
Old 23-09-2006, 5:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ah thanks, I just meant a standard size DVD case.

# 4
cafenervosa
Old 23-09-2006, 5:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If its under 100g in weight it will cost 44p 1st class, over 100g will be 65p 1st class.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cafenervosa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
ukbill69
Old 23-09-2006, 7:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

A jiffy works fine. Thats what cdwow/play.com use.
Kind Regards
Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to ukbill69 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
marka87uk
Old 23-09-2006, 10:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, I was thinking, if I was going to be selling a few, to maybe try and get hold of those cardboard DVD packages which play.com etc sometime use.
# 7
stockwellphotography
Old 23-09-2006, 11:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yeah, but watch it, as they're a bit weighty..
Sam
# 8
soolin
Old 24-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafenervosa
If its under 100g in weight it will cost 44p 1st class, over 100g will be 65p 1st class.
Unless you use my post office which insists that DVDs go as packages and therefore cost over 1 to send. Apparently a single DVD in a plain jiffy bag touches the side of the gauge and is not therefore a letter.

Sorry, regular users will know to ignore my ranting about the new postal service now and the problems I have at my local PO...

Soo
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 9
marka87uk
Old 24-09-2006, 12:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do you think it would be easier to post in a jiffy bag just in a post box with the required amount of stamps on? :/
# 10
chocaholic110
Old 24-09-2006, 1:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I sent some DVDs last week and was charged 55p second class
# 11
soolin
Old 24-09-2006, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka87uk
Do you think it would be easier to post in a jiffy bag just in a post box with the required amount of stamps on? :/
I prefer to have a certificate of posting as although I am not losing much outward mail at the moment I think DVds can be a bit tempting.

Soo
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 12
mah_jong
Old 24-09-2006, 3:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolin
I prefer to have a certificate of posting as although I am not losing much outward mail at the moment I think DVds can be a bit tempting.

Soo

soo having read of your on going saga with your local PO , is there any chance you might be able to have a wee word on the quiet? Tell her she is the only one charging like this, that all the others you have been to, charge the lower rate if it goes throught the slot easily, that as you are losing a tenner a week with her you might have to reconsider which one you use? Ask her to double check or ask what would she do if she were you???
# 13
soolin
Old 24-09-2006, 4:46 PM

mah_jong I have tried. She just insists that she is right and that the other POs are wrong and that eventually my mail will turn up at my buyers with a £1 penalty notice.

I've posted in the past about how I like my ebay/Amazon straight forward. Sell something, get paid instantly and wrap item. Then take it to her on the way to work next day...having to try and negotiate each package gets me down. We stand there and discuss whether I want to risk it 'this time' as she thinks the item didn't slip through easily, and I know it will be a large letter every well else.

I can't complain to Royal Mail as she'll know it is me as we have these continous discussions about sizing. I also know she relies on us ebayers to keep her open, yet she admits that she has seen a small but noticeable decrease in items over the past couple of weeks. We end up like gun slingers at the OK corral, she'll quote me a price and I'll ask whether that means she is taking it as a package so she'll sigh loudly get her gauge and show me that it won't fall through, I take item back and show her that it does go through and then I'll either get 'well, I'll send it this time but it will get a penalty notice other end' or a flat refusal.

Frankly I am getting tense just thinking about it now.

Soo
New to Forum? Guide
# 14
mookybargirl
Old 24-09-2006, 5:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm sending a few parcels with the same contents at the moment. One post office said that as it 'snagged the edges' of their guide, it would be a large parcel. Basically £1.36 or something instead of 65p.

I use a different post office now and they always charge me 65p.

My advice would be to try a different post office if you have a few around
Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!
# 15
FloFlo
Old 24-09-2006, 5:03 PM

As long as I can push it through the slot mines happy. Is she the actual post mistress, because perhaps you could have a word with whoever manages the po they might not realise what's going on.
# 16
NickMidgley
Old 24-09-2006, 5:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I sell a few DVD's on ebay and usually send them out in a standard "jiffy" envelope (the bubble-wrap type ones).

I've sent from two local post offices and both have charged 65p first class.
Closed Thread