Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    • 3,929Posts
    • 36,208Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Squirrelling it all away......
    • 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    Squirrelling it all away...... 28th Aug 10 at 7:05 PM
    Hello,

I have been reading the MFW diaries for some months now and am finally in a position to begin some serious overpaying. I intend to overpay £1500 per month in order to finish our mortgage on 1.3.13. It seems a nice symmetrical date.

I have a good full time job, and so does OH. Our children are grown up and it would be great to see an end to the mortgage so that we can enjoy our 'autumn' years! I am 49 and he is 53 so we are still spring chickens really..... The overpayments will mean quite a sacrifice but it really hurts me to see how the banks profit so hugely from us - (how can they charge 7% for loans and pay only 0.25% on an ISA, and still keep a straight face?) - I get quite Mrs Angry when I think about these things, and see how they prey on the careless.

But best not to get me started. I've always been fairly sensible with money but OH really isn't and gets fed up when I talk about it so I hope the diary will inspire me to keep going in the face of his apathy! My intention is to post every couple of days with my ramblings about squirrelling away for the future. I have really enjoyed everybody's diaries and hope that mine will not be too dull!

Thanks for listening

Squirrel
Page 217
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 23rd Aug 17, 6:52 AM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Glad you had a good time and though you shouldn't have to, you are wise to write off the cash.

Hope your cold gets better. Do you NEED a housesitter? Could you rent it as a holiday let instead?
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 23rd Aug 17, 6:20 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

We like to have a house sitter for our longer trips as we have two cats and I would feel mean putting them in kennels for such a long time. They would hate it, plus I would hate paying £150 a week for them to go! We usually have family or friends, usually grown up children who would like a break from living with mum and dad. So we don't pay anything, just offer free use of the house. But this trip coincides with return to university so it will be a bit trickier. I am working on it though.
    Repairs to the camper have come in just under £2000. Horrors. This had better be a brilliant trip. Today we stocked up on bargain cards in card factory and lots of wool from pound land to start on some baby gifts. But I had to buy a new suitcase to replace one that I had thriftily borrowed, which got completely trashed by the luggage handlers. So just a little spending today. Tonight I am catching up,with girlfriends at home so free fun.

Have a lovely evening, my cold is already much better, thank you!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 24th Aug 17, 10:15 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

Another thrifty day at home while we gear up for an incredibly busy and social run of about ten days, during which time we will be visiting friends and family pretty much all over the country. It is just poor timing on our part, along with wanting to catch up with people before we go off on our long trip. I will be trying to keep costs down as much as possible but still have fun.
    Tomorrow the weekend begins with an evening at a friend's house nearby so no taxis needed although I have bought some wine to take. Sometimes we go on to the pub at about ten but I will be arguing to stay in!

Then we have bbqs to go to on both Saturday and Sunday.
    Hope you all have a good start to the weekend.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 26th Aug 17, 4:49 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 20,145 Thanks
    earthgirl
    SSS have a lovely tour of friends/family and longer break. Sorry to hear the camper was expensive to repair.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Aug 17, 7:46 AM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thank you, we are setting off tomorrow morning once the Bank Holiday craziness has cleared from the roads. No spending over the last two days with the exception of £20 for taxis. Not bad for two days of entertainment with friends.
    I feel a little jaded today so although we could go out this evening, and I suspect oh will want to, I will be campaigning for a quiet day with a long walk and simple meals!
    I have arranged with a close neighbour to look after our cats and hope that this will work out as we don't know anyone who can live in at the moment. She is willing to come in and make a fuss of them so I hope they won't pack their bags and find a new family.
    Hope you all enjoy the bank holiday
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 28th Aug 17, 8:00 AM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 86,522 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Have a good trip - Bon voyage. Tilly xx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • greent
    • By greent 28th Aug 17, 8:05 AM
    • 6,437 Posts
    • 64,944 Thanks
    greent
    Have a good trip
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1226.02/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1760/2017 items
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 28th Aug 17, 4:02 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Travel safely and happily. x
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Aug 17, 9:50 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

This is just a short one, we will be back on Thursday. Then another short trip the following week, followed by the long trip (6 weeks) leaving mid September. The poor cats do have a lot to put up with. We didn't go out today, although I had a lovely long walk, so it is a NSD.

I was going to cancel our cable package as we are away so much and hardly watch it anyway. But they offered a new package with more stuff for just a couple of pounds more than we would pay for just the broadband. So we may as well stick with it as winter is coming. Amazing how they can do it cheaper when you ring to cancel. I think most of us would rather just keep it simple and have the same basic price for everybody. Still, £7 a month saved.

Have a good week,
    Squirrel
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 29th Aug 17, 2:50 AM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hmnn wonder what you will be watching. "Winter is Coming".
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 30th Aug 17, 10:33 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    Teacher2
    I've been away and not able to keep up to date with the SSS world so have had a bit of a catch up this morning. I'm very sorry to hear about both the unrepaid loan and the ill will behind those who are envious of the prudent. Polonius really said it all about lenders and borrowers.

When I was driven to resign and retire five years early I forewent a quarter of my pension to do it and depended on my OH's income which has been reduced and reduced since then. It was only at all possible because we live a very frugal and restrained life and, though we have a few of the nice things of life, it is because we go without so much else that others find indispensible.

I was very surprised at the attitude of some others, especially close family, who were envious and ill natured in the extreme and who bandied about the idea that we were living the life of Riley as we were 'rich'. My dear OH still has a twelve hour day (including three hours' worth of commuting round the M25) at the age of 60 and I work my socks off trying to clean, maintain and decorate our house on a minimum spend as well as supporting three members of the family with my time. We are, by no means, 'rich' and live quiet lives where spending is not the focus of our pleasures.

Those who criticise us live the full subscription lifestyle to the max including three holidays this August in four weeks. My OH and I read, walk, pootle about the house, garden and village, cook, watch selected and infrequent TV and do many other things which cost nothing. On our recent holiday, instead of having meals out or afternoon teas ate in and made scones and cakes and came back to find we had spent virtually nothing extra having had a really lovely time.

It is, alas, human nature to be grumpy and ungrateful and it is the modern way to direct most of the grumping at those who work hard and pay for everything so I am not at all surprised that your kind loan has blown a hole in your finances, SSS, and that those who did it think you can afford for them to do so. But I do sympathise as it seems it has derailed your retirement plans and because it is inherently unfair that advantage has been taken of your generosity.

Nevertheless, you have taken exactly the right decision in not letting it embitter you and to carry on regardless. I am sure that with your joint financial savvy you will actually make good your loss more quickly than you think.

I'm glad also you had a great time in the USA with the offspring.

My big news of the summer is that the DD's lovely young man proposed to her and that she is looking forward to a wedding when they can scrape the (insanely) huge sum of money together that it now takes to join one man to one woman - even when they have been living in one house for years!

The DH and I have offered a to us substantial and to them insubstantial sum towards the party and I am looking on with amusement at the ongoing plans. The extravagent spoilt princess ideas are vanishing one by one as the DD and the putative SIL realise they are going to have to stump up for the fripperies themselves.

I have no doubt it will be a salutary learning experience for them as they are both quite prudent and will manage to deliver an enormous amount of bang for comparatively few bucks. And they will have fun doing it. Bring it on. I have already bought my dress!
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 30th Aug 17, 7:57 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Ooo I love the eloquence of your post teacher 2.
    Thank you I really enjoyed reading it, it had a good 'voice'
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 6th Sep 17, 9:36 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    Teacher2
    Ooo I love the eloquence of your post teacher 2.
    Thank you I really enjoyed reading it, it had a good 'voice'
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway
    Why thank you. I am most flattered. But then, with, SSS's posts, and the helpful additions from others, this is perhaps the most literate and literary thread on MMF's Fora! It's always a pleasure to read.

The modern world is becoming increasingly impenetrable and, when I am on this thread, I feel almost human! Certainly I feel that there are others 'out there' still like me.
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 6th Sep 17, 9:39 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    Teacher2
    Hope that you are enjoying your break, SSS, assuming you have left yet. Also hope the cats are happy. I have rekindled my inner cat person since my DD and her lovely fiance acquired a kitten (the cat-baby) and have acquainted myself with all the cats in the village on my walks.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 15th Sep 17, 4:09 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello all, and thanks to Teacher2 for your post,which really resonates. OH and I do feel that we have a very lovely time and we really want for nothing. But we still spend far less than others, despite travelling a great deal. I have lost count of the amount of people asking when I am going 'back' to work, as if I am being lazy. When in fact I spent years doing twice as many hours at work as some friends, and commuting in all weathers in order to be able to retire only slightly early. It does get wearing, when I get sly remarks from people who have worked only two days a week, just around the corner, for the last thirty years, that I am somehow 'lucky'!

There are many things that many of my friends and family do that I would never dream of, although of course I did do quite a lot of these myself before seeing the light about ten years ago. For example, spending whole evenings in pubs or eating out just because there is no food in, rather than because it is a special occasion. I rarely buy clothes but when I do they are good quality but definitely not designer. I am frequently shocked to see casual frittering away of money now that we have a minimalist mindset. If those who express envy at our situation could think harder about their own spending, they could be in the same situation.

Enough of my ranting - I am not going to grant the moaners any more headspace. Instead, we are getting on with our lives. Which are certainly not going to plan! We should be away in the camper at the moment but it has broken down yet again and is being mended. After this we really don't trust it any more. So we are going off on a bargain last minute package and selling the poor old camper when we get back. It would be a good buy for a practically minded young person who wants to have some inexpensive breaks in the UK, but it is not up to long European trips any more. So we will be down to just one vehicle in a few weeks, which I rather like. OH would like another camper but that won't happen in a hurry.

After a busy summer with lots of family and friends about I am looking forward to a quiet break and some time to reflect on what to do in the immediate future. I have a few ideas so will keep you posted if any come to fruition.
    Have a lovely weekend. We have friends round for board games tonight and a BBQ tomorrow so all inexpensive fun. Then we are off again early next week. Good luck to all of you who are working hard to make your future a better one and congratulations on not just sitting back and expecting it to come to you by magic.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 15th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Teacher2, re the wedding. congratulations to your daughter and her fianc!. I gave all of mine the same amount towards their weddings, with the caveat that they didn't actually have to spend it on the wedding, they could keep it for the future if they wanted to. Yet they all spent it, and more. I think the peer pressure to have all sorts of gimmicks like ice cream vans, photo booths, magicians and other craziness is so fierce that they feel they must join in. However, despite vastly differing amounts being spent on each event, they were equally lovely, so I am sure that your daughter won't miss the fripperies at all.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 17th Sep 17, 10:42 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    This has been nearly a no spend weekend, except for £9 for a cab on Saturday evening. Very pleased with ourselves. Tomorrow we will be bustling about and tidying up and then off on holiday in the evening. So see you when we get back, all relaxed and ready for the build up to a thrifty Christmas. We have decided as a family that all Christmas gifts for adults should cost no more than a pound! So less expense but more of a challenge to find something nice.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 18th Sep 17, 5:40 AM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,512 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Have a happy trip.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 28,070 Posts
    • 154,323 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thats a great idea for the Christmas presents! We're certainly setting limits here this year, with me and my bro and sister retiring this year.

Have a great holiday
    Retired August 2016
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 18th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,208 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thanks very much. Re the Xmas gifts, of course Poundland is a great resource, but I prefer the idea of finding lovely things in charity shops, so I am already browsing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,497Posts Today

9,554Users online

Martin's Twitter