Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    • 3,929Posts
    • 36,206Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Squirrelling it all away......
    • 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    Squirrelling it all away...... 28th Aug 10 at 7:05 PM
    Hello,

I have been reading the MFW diaries for some months now and am finally in a position to begin some serious overpaying. I intend to overpay £1500 per month in order to finish our mortgage on 1.3.13. It seems a nice symmetrical date.

I have a good full time job, and so does OH. Our children are grown up and it would be great to see an end to the mortgage so that we can enjoy our 'autumn' years! I am 49 and he is 53 so we are still spring chickens really..... The overpayments will mean quite a sacrifice but it really hurts me to see how the banks profit so hugely from us - (how can they charge 7% for loans and pay only 0.25% on an ISA, and still keep a straight face?) - I get quite Mrs Angry when I think about these things, and see how they prey on the careless.

But best not to get me started. I've always been fairly sensible with money but OH really isn't and gets fed up when I talk about it so I hope the diary will inspire me to keep going in the face of his apathy! My intention is to post every couple of days with my ramblings about squirrelling away for the future. I have really enjoyed everybody's diaries and hope that mine will not be too dull!

Thanks for listening

Squirrel
Page 216
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 9th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,206 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

Thanks all for reading and making kind comments. I must say I do love the gallivanting. Tomorrow though I am gallivanting all the way to a marking meeting and have to leave at 7.30 so although I am having a girls night tonight, it will be an early finish.

The bathroom should be finished on Monday and amazingly it will be less than £2k, literally thousands less than the quotation by the local firm who model themselves on the Pimlico Plumbers. Instead we had a couple of friends of my son who did an amazing job in his bathroom. Not just plumbers but craftsmen with quirky ideas. it will look great and is a real bargain.

Just one more bathroom to go and then we are stopping renovating for a while.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 11th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,206 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

Well, maybe the bathroom won't be finished by Monday... More like the end of Tuesday, but still pretty good timing.
    Marking has started now so I will be working for five hours a day, in chunks of 90 minutes which is about optimum for me without getting a mushy brain. Should be quite manageable, I think.

We are still trying to save pennies, and it is quite easy while we are busy with the renovation as we don't have much time or inclination to be out and about.
    Hope you all have a thrifty week,
    Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 14th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    Teacher2
    Nothng like a project to cheer one up! Hope the new bathroom is finished on time - and good luck with the marking.

My DH is now working three days a week now he's 60. We can't afford for him to give up entirely but four days off does seem like a lot as we are able to go off for jollies to Devon. The trouble is that he doesn't seem to realise that his working or not working is a 'time versus money' equation and when we realised that the upstairs windows needed urgent attention his first port of call was to say airily (as usual), 'Oh get someone in to do it!'

Unfortunately, we cannot afford to do that now without resorting to savings and it's too early to start depleting those. I am going to have to find a tactful way to say we are going to have to tackle it ourselves.

The decorators are easing the DH towards reality with their eye-watering quotations. One suggests £1300 is 'reasonable' for painting just the upstairs windows. Blimey! We don't live in Buckingham Palace!

The problem is that the DH is so reluctant (I have made him lazy by doing absolutely everything in the house and garden for five years since I retired early) that he would rather push the money button than get down to Homebase for the Dulux.

What to do!
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 19th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,206 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

My oh has recently turned 60 and is very excited about getting free prescriptions. Like you, Teacher 2, I am much more aware of how quickly we can deplete the pot, luckily oh hates having work done on the house because of the upheaval and having people in our way so we try to do as much as we can ourselves or with the help of family and friends. But it does mean that we can't argue when there are delays as we are only paying mates rates. Which is why the bathroom finishing touches are dragging on.....

I am full on with marking now and enjoying having a focus. Let's see if I am still saying that in a few weeks!

Enjoy the sunshine,
    Squirrel x
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 20th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 718 Posts
    • 6,249 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Sorry to come out of the wood work didn't realise free prescriptions started at 60. Thought that had been put back like state pensions.
    MFIT T4 40
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £55526:/36617/18909
    • chumpy45
    • By chumpy45 20th Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,366 Thanks
    chumpy45
    Good luck with the marking. I think I am nearly at the end of mine now and it is a great relief. Just a few stragglers with various "mitigating circumstances" to finish off now. Enjoy your new bathroom
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. Mortgage as at 01.09.15 - £54,780.04; 01.11.15 £49,577.04;01.03.16 £45,799.32; 01.08.16 £42,418.93; 01.10.16 £40,119.5 01.02.17 £36,584.00; 01.04.17 £34,694.71 09.06.17 £32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017;
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 21st Jun 17, 8:25 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    Teacher2
    The free prescriptions are very exciting. The DH benefits more than I do as he has various low level 'physician heal thyself' conditions which need daily doses while I try to avoid medicating where possible. Still, nice to know it's all there when needed. I believe you can get 10% off at B & Q on Wednesdays as well but I haven't put it to the test yet.

Two things we did go for were the oldies' rates for the National Trust (not advertised, Martin's Moneyfacts pointed out you have to apply for it) and a five year reduced double subscription to the Bluebell railway which they kindly allowed us to have before we were sixty.

Having said that, I still don't feel 'old' in the way one regarded sixty as old when my granny was alive. In fact I remember my mother turning forty and it was as if she was one foot in the... Life holds much more for much longer these days!
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 29th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,206 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,
    I am marking two different boards and have also taken extra allocation so I will be mostly marking until mid July! However, it is not too bad a way to earn and I am getting quicker.
    Not much to report as we are still in minimal spending mode and if we don't spend, we don't have any bargains to report! But final tally for the bathroom came to just under £2000 so very pleasing. We are taking a break from renovation now until September when we start bathroom 2.

Spending time with friends and not spending apart from picnic ingredients at the weekend.
    Hope you all have a good one,
    Squirrel.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 29th Jun 17, 8:19 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 27,510 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Hope you get picnic weather Squirrel.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 17th Jul 17, 8:25 AM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,206 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

It has been a while but spending all morning doing online marking makes me reluctant to look at any screen later in the day.
    We have been thrifty but have been hit with vehicle problems, oh car and the camper, which we had to have towed home from Shropshire (ouch!)

Oh car is now on eBay and we are waiting to find out the damage on the camper. Time to sort out the ageing fleet. We won't be replacing oh car until at least November as we will be away a lot until then and we still have my car.

Back to marking now, hope you all have a good week,
    Squirrel
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 3rd Aug 17, 9:31 AM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,206 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

Well, oh car sold for just under a thousand so that was a result. However, the camper is still in the garage so will almost certainly swallow up all of that by the time it is mended. Vehicles really do suck up the money.

We had a lovely time at a music festival last week and are now preparing for our holiday to the USA with the grandchildren. This is a once in a lifetime extravagance and I am going to enjoy every moment.

We have had a little family trouble in a couple of areas. In one instance it seems certain that a substantial loan that we made to a family member will not be repaid. I don't want to go into details here but I do want to offer the advice never to mix family and money. This has occurred as a result of a marriage breakdown but it has made a dent in our pre pension lifestyle plan that we didn't expect. We have decided not to dwell on it and instead to count our blessings. We won't have to rush back to work but the next few years will be much less extravagant than we would have hoped. And of course we do feel that our faith and trust in people has been shaken.

However, what is good is that our thriftiness means we don't have to lie awake worrying about the bills and for that I am very grateful.

I hope that all of you teachers are enjoying the break. I am still marking as there were quite a few extra papers left at the end of the process. Just another couple of days though.

See you in a couple of weeks,
    Squirrel
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 3rd Aug 17, 9:47 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Have a fabulous holiday.

How sad about the loan, maybe they will realise their responsibilities when the dust settles.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • CathT
    • By CathT 3rd Aug 17, 10:32 AM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 36,787 Thanks
    CathT
    Hope the camper isn't too costly. Enjoy your holiday, it sounds fab especially with the grandchildren and being able to see it through their eyes too. I'd love to take the children to New York as just know they would love it as we did.
    Nov 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,999
    part 2 - £46,117
    Total - £126,116
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 3rd Aug 17, 12:50 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,206 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thanks, New York is on my wish list too, oh has never been and I only went very briefly when I was a child so I would love to revisit.
    As for the loan, maybe things will change in the future .... But I very much doubt it.
    Like most on here, I tend to potter about thinking the best of people, and recent events have really shaken me up. I really have been treated like a mug in more than one way. It has been a real lesson, and although oh and I do live carefully and really don't splash our money around, there is clearly some envy involved, in thinking that as we don't work, we don't need the money. No thought given to the sacrifices made to earn and save it. The loan isn't the only thing that has happened and it really has opened my eyes to the resentment some people feel when others step off the treadmill and try to lead a different life, not focused on acquisition.
    • greent
    • By greent 3rd Aug 17, 5:18 PM
    • 6,431 Posts
    • 64,914 Thanks
    greent
    Oh, Squirrel - that doesn't sound nice

On the more positive front - the hols sound fab
    Hope the camper is repaired soon - and at a cost of not too many £££....

xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1226.02/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1760/2017 items
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 3rd Aug 17, 6:40 PM
    • 2,453 Posts
    • 20,142 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Yes that sounds awful squirrel. Well done on all the marking though, wow
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    June 17 £32,053 Sept 17 £22,619
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 3rd Aug 17, 8:35 PM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 86,522 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Squirrel, that sounds most unpleasant. Let's hope at some point they grow a moral compass and realise the error of their ways.

Hope you can put it behind you.

Best wishes Tilly xx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 3rd Aug 17, 9:05 PM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 34,739 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    ^^What Tilly said. Ugh. But thank goodness you've been frugal and can cope. Hugely annoying tho, I'd be much less sanguine than you!! Well done
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%]
    Declutter 200 items before 31.01.18 xx/200 ** LSDs Target 10 for Winter 0x/10 **AFDs xx/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 10 for Winter xx/10 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 4th Aug 17, 12:10 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,206 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

We are busy tidying for our house sitter and getting ready for a fun holiday so we can put all the bad stuff in a box for now. It seems that the camper will not be ready today so it will be spending the two weeks languishing at the garage, bringing its residence there to five weeks!

Thank you for the kind comments and see you all in a couple of weeks. X
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 22nd Aug 17, 10:46 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,206 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

We are back and we had a lovely time. It was great to spend a big chunk of time with my son and his children, and of course there was sunshine and Disney too.
    Now back to reality. I have a cold and am still suffering with sleeping due to the time difference. We have lots to do both socially and around the house, and I don't yet have a house sitter for our next trip in three weeks time. The garden needs a lot of attention and I am now trying to keep the spending down after this trip. So busy busy. The first step was taken today when oh wanted tea and cake at the shops and I said no. To be fair, I felt very poorly so it was easy to do!
    I hope you have all been enjoying the summer,
    Squirrel
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,225Users online

Martin's Twitter