Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    • 3,829Posts
    • 35,553Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Squirrelling it all away......
    • 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    Squirrelling it all away...... 28th Aug 10 at 7:05 PM
    Hello,

I have been reading the MFW diaries for some months now and am finally in a position to begin some serious overpaying. I intend to overpay £1500 per month in order to finish our mortgage on 1.3.13. It seems a nice symmetrical date.

I have a good full time job, and so does OH. Our children are grown up and it would be great to see an end to the mortgage so that we can enjoy our 'autumn' years! I am 49 and he is 53 so we are still spring chickens really..... The overpayments will mean quite a sacrifice but it really hurts me to see how the banks profit so hugely from us - (how can they charge 7% for loans and pay only 0.25% on an ISA, and still keep a straight face?) - I get quite Mrs Angry when I think about these things, and see how they prey on the careless.

But best not to get me started. I've always been fairly sensible with money but OH really isn't and gets fed up when I talk about it so I hope the diary will inspire me to keep going in the face of his apathy! My intention is to post every couple of days with my ramblings about squirrelling away for the future. I have really enjoyed everybody's diaries and hope that mine will not be too dull!

Thanks for listening

Squirrel
Page 216
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 9th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 3,829 Posts
    • 35,553 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

Thanks all for reading and making kind comments. I must say I do love the gallivanting. Tomorrow though I am gallivanting all the way to a marking meeting and have to leave at 7.30 so although I am having a girls night tonight, it will be an early finish.

The bathroom should be finished on Monday and amazingly it will be less than £2k, literally thousands less than the quotation by the local firm who model themselves on the Pimlico Plumbers. Instead we had a couple of friends of my son who did an amazing job in his bathroom. Not just plumbers but craftsmen with quirky ideas. it will look great and is a real bargain.

Just one more bathroom to go and then we are stopping renovating for a while.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 11th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 3,829 Posts
    • 35,553 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

Well, maybe the bathroom won't be finished by Monday... More like the end of Tuesday, but still pretty good timing.
    Marking has started now so I will be working for five hours a day, in chunks of 90 minutes which is about optimum for me without getting a mushy brain. Should be quite manageable, I think.

We are still trying to save pennies, and it is quite easy while we are busy with the renovation as we don't have much time or inclination to be out and about.
    Hope you all have a thrifty week,
    Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 14th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    Teacher2
    Nothng like a project to cheer one up! Hope the new bathroom is finished on time - and good luck with the marking.

My DH is now working three days a week now he's 60. We can't afford for him to give up entirely but four days off does seem like a lot as we are able to go off for jollies to Devon. The trouble is that he doesn't seem to realise that his working or not working is a 'time versus money' equation and when we realised that the upstairs windows needed urgent attention his first port of call was to say airily (as usual), 'Oh get someone in to do it!'

Unfortunately, we cannot afford to do that now without resorting to savings and it's too early to start depleting those. I am going to have to find a tactful way to say we are going to have to tackle it ourselves.

The decorators are easing the DH towards reality with their eye-watering quotations. One suggests £1300 is 'reasonable' for painting just the upstairs windows. Blimey! We don't live in Buckingham Palace!

The problem is that the DH is so reluctant (I have made him lazy by doing absolutely everything in the house and garden for five years since I retired early) that he would rather push the money button than get down to Homebase for the Dulux.

What to do!
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 19th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3,829 Posts
    • 35,553 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

My oh has recently turned 60 and is very excited about getting free prescriptions. Like you, Teacher 2, I am much more aware of how quickly we can deplete the pot, luckily oh hates having work done on the house because of the upheaval and having people in our way so we try to do as much as we can ourselves or with the help of family and friends. But it does mean that we can't argue when there are delays as we are only paying mates rates. Which is why the bathroom finishing touches are dragging on.....

I am full on with marking now and enjoying having a focus. Let's see if I am still saying that in a few weeks!

Enjoy the sunshine,
    Squirrel x
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 20th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 6,188 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Sorry to come out of the wood work didn't realise free prescriptions started at 60. Thought that had been put back like state pensions.
    MFIT T4 40
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    2016 savings £12k
    • chumpy45
    • By chumpy45 20th Jun 17, 9:40 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    chumpy45
    Good luck with the marking. I think I am nearly at the end of mine now and it is a great relief. Just a few stragglers with various "mitigating circumstances" to finish off now. Enjoy your new bathroom
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. Mortgage as at 01.09.15 - £54,780.04; 01.11.15 £49,577.04;01.03.16 £45,799.32; 01.08.16 £42,418.93; 01.10.16 £40,119.5 01.02.17 £36,584.00; 01.04.17 £34,694.71 09.06.17 £32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017;
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 21st Jun 17, 8:25 AM
    • 470 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    Teacher2
    The free prescriptions are very exciting. The DH benefits more than I do as he has various low level 'physician heal thyself' conditions which need daily doses while I try to avoid medicating where possible. Still, nice to know it's all there when needed. I believe you can get 10% off at B & Q on Wednesdays as well but I haven't put it to the test yet.

Two things we did go for were the oldies' rates for the National Trust (not advertised, Martin's Moneyfacts pointed out you have to apply for it) and a five year reduced double subscription to the Bluebell railway which they kindly allowed us to have before we were sixty.

Having said that, I still don't feel 'old' in the way one regarded sixty as old when my granny was alive. In fact I remember my mother turning forty and it was as if she was one foot in the... Life holds much more for much longer these days!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,642Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter