Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    • 3,669Posts
    • 34,115Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Squirrelling it all away......
    • 28th Aug 10, 7:05 PM
    Squirrelling it all away...... 28th Aug 10 at 7:05 PM
    Hello,

I have been reading the MFW diaries for some months now and am finally in a position to begin some serious overpaying. I intend to overpay £1500 per month in order to finish our mortgage on 1.3.13. It seems a nice symmetrical date.

I have a good full time job, and so does OH. Our children are grown up and it would be great to see an end to the mortgage so that we can enjoy our 'autumn' years! I am 49 and he is 53 so we are still spring chickens really..... The overpayments will mean quite a sacrifice but it really hurts me to see how the banks profit so hugely from us - (how can they charge 7% for loans and pay only 0.25% on an ISA, and still keep a straight face?) - I get quite Mrs Angry when I think about these things, and see how they prey on the careless.

But best not to get me started. I've always been fairly sensible with money but OH really isn't and gets fed up when I talk about it so I hope the diary will inspire me to keep going in the face of his apathy! My intention is to post every couple of days with my ramblings about squirrelling away for the future. I have really enjoyed everybody's diaries and hope that mine will not be too dull!

Thanks for listening

Squirrel
Page 205
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 18th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thank you, that is an idea I hadn't thought of. Will follow up.
    Hope you had an amazing holiday x
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 19th Oct 16, 9:52 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    Teacher2
    Gosh! I haven't looked at the fora for a week and I have missed some drama. Much sympathy for the naughty children situation and I agree with everyone who says you were right to walk away from the horrible school.

I have a friend, an ex English teacher who does a couple of hours a week as an amanuensis at a local college. It's not top dollar compared with supply work but it is easy, pleasant and one to one, especially after battling away at the educational front with orcs.

Have a nice seaside break. We were in Lyme Regis last weekend for my birthday treat and it was wonderful. The sea reflects all the extra sun and light this late Indian summer is giving us and is very cheering.
    • chumpy45
    • By chumpy45 19th Oct 16, 5:18 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    chumpy45
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience at the school, but well done for walking away from it. Some things are just not worth pursuing. I grew up by the seaside, and there is nothing like a walk along the beach for restorative purposes. Have a great mini break
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. Mortgage as at 01.09.15 - £54,780.04; 01.11.15 £49,577.04;01.03.16 £45,799.32; 01.08.16 £42,418.93; 01.10.16 £40,119.52 MFW Target date Sept 2017;
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 19th Oct 16, 5:40 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

We have been making the most of the weather and got some long awaited jobs done outside. I also went shopping in an unaccustomed leisurely fashion and got some funny Halloween stuff for the grandchildren that didn't break the bank. It is very hard to get used to the idea that there is no rush.....

Off to Scotland tomorrow, see you in a few days

Squirrel
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 26,543 Posts
    • 140,124 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It is very hard to get used to the idea that there is no rush.....
    Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel
    That realisation comes and goes for me, but its lovely, isn't it

Off to Scotland tomorrow, see you in a few days
    Have a lovely time
    Save
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 25th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

We are back home and ready to do a little hibernation now. It feels as if our feet have not touched the ground since spring, which is lovely but now it is nice to be at home for a few weeks without dashing off anywhere.
    Scotland was spendy because we wanted to travel about a bit and do some tourist things. However, worth it because we had an amazing time and are now planning a longer return trip, probably in the camper so that we can explore further.
    We have made a long list of things to do, some chores and some more creative, all positive things which will keep our minds working and make us feel that we are still achieving. I am also going to try to tidy up and develop a lot of my teaching resources to sell online. There is so much that I have made over the years that newer teachers could benefit from, so worth a try even if it only brings in a little.

Onwards and upwards. Have a lovely day,
    Squirrel
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 26th Oct 16, 7:24 AM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 19,522 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Welcome home!
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 26th Oct 16, 7:50 AM
    • 7,604 Posts
    • 84,964 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Morning Squirrel, just having a catch up on diaries and sorry to read about your school experience. Thank goodness you have the ability to walk if it's not right.

How on earth are children going to turn into industrious adults if they are like this as kids.

I have no teaching experience/knowledge at all but are there roles turning around dodgy schools? Part of a team, where you have a window for change - training up existing teachers etc? 3-6 month stint then you're piece is done and you sail off to your next adventure?

Could utilise your existing materials plus your wealth of hands on experience.

Enjoy your downtime. Halloween sounds like it's going to be fun.

Tilly xxxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033 2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Goal: 28/08/15
    • Teacher2
    • By Teacher2 26th Oct 16, 11:01 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 2,039 Thanks
    Teacher2
    Scotland sounds lovely. I am a real fan of Ian Rankin's 'Rebus' crime fiction and Streetview many of the locations which always look fantastic.

The idea of selling resources sounds a good one. Did you see the recent news story about half of new teachers not staying for more than ten years in the profession? Shocking. It is hard not to see some cynical view in the way youngsters are brought in, overworked and spat out a couple of years later completely burnt out. They won't be collecting much pension, the poor loves.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 27th Oct 16, 7:56 AM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

Thank you for the supportive comments, however I do feel that the crisis in teacher retention is based much more on directives from above, as well as the lack of motivation and poor behaviour of students (and parents) than on school management. The league table culture has led to schools pretty much spoon feeding students from year 7 onwards, doing everything but holding the pen for them, in order for them to achieve the c grade. The students and the parents know that the schools need them to pass and will do anything they can to make that happen. So non attenders and time wasters end up getting one to one and expensively provided interventions and they pass. But the feeling is very much that the student holds all the cards - if the teachers aren't nice to them (By letting them chat all lesson) then they will refuse to work. And the teacher takes the flak when they fail.
    I have worked in some of the most deprived areas of London but have never encountered such rudeness and arrogance from students as I have in the suburbs. Second generation immigrant communities ( and of course this is a generalisation) really see how the Education system can make a good future for their children and they are encouraged to study and to be respectful. Whereas our indigenous population ( again, excuse the generalisation) believe that just turning up will do and to be given homework is an insult. I have noticed a real downturn in behaviour over the last decade and can't identify the trigger. Although I do notice that representations of teenagers in the media tend to focus on the negative and normalise challenging behaviour.
    The saddest thing of all for me, is seeing the pleading eyes of the eight to ten children in every class who really want to learn and get on with the lesson. While all around them, twenty more are chatting, flicking things around and causing the teacher to keep stopping, starting,stopping starting. So I think this is it for me. I feel very bruised and also embarrassed as someone with a lot of experience who just couldn't hack it. Maybe I will get back into schools but it won't be for a while.

Excuse the early morning rant. Lovely day yesterday and we did lots of digging and had a bonfire. More to do today. Have a good day.
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 27th Oct 16, 8:52 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 3,044 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    A very honest account, and a sad pause in your career, but I do agree with your comments on people are normalising bad behaviour.

I'm not a teacher but do work in the public sector... Many things are broken from the top down leaving a blame culture for the work force.

Your diary along with a few other biggies started me off on this mse trail last year. As Tilly said at least you have the ability to choose now you are mortgage free. It'll be a few years before I can choose to walk away, but at least I will have that choice.
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £168060
    Car loan finished oct 16
    h@lifax CC £5360 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 27th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 2,489 Posts
    • 17,588 Thanks
    Watty1
    What a sad pause or maybe stop. And an honest account of the state of things. So sad, especially for the ones who want to learn.
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £68801
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 27th Oct 16, 11:08 AM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 19,522 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Oh Squirrel you are being too hard on yourself.
    You can be as experienced as you like but unless you are established it will be hard, and only time will allow you to become established.

It does depend so much on school structures as you say. I am having my easiest time behaviour wise in a school that on paper should be worst. It is due to school systems and support which has included telling parents (politely) how it's going to be.

Most of our kids are the white, British unmotivated variety.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 27th Oct 16, 6:29 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Thanks all. SHS you are so right - but not all schools can break the cycle as yours has. I am very glad for your sake though!

Another nice day and ds has built us a lovely log cupboard out of leftover wood.
    • giblet1979
    • By giblet1979 27th Oct 16, 7:02 PM
    • 846 Posts
    • 3,398 Thanks
    giblet1979
    Hi SSS,
    Your description of the changes and problems in the school system resonates so much with a good friend of mine who is constantly despairing, and generally angry / upset / distressed on a regular basis due to the system, the awful behaviour of parents 'demanding' things, and what appears to be a lack of common sense in decisions made e.g. recently 3 after school activities in 5 days with no flexibility for single parents etc whilst reports were due after 3 weeks of a new term!
    It does seem to be systemically bad behaviour; I occasionally teach in a university, and the students treat the admin staff abominably; also last year, they were so rude to me when I taught, that I nearly didn't choose to do it again. It seems like the generations of spoiled children are becoming disrespectful adults
    Hope that whatever you decide to do, it makes you happy as that is most important. Sending hugs xx
    Debt remaining:
    Mortgage - £122,780 (of £134,600)

Work overpayment and home improvement loan paid back (£19200)

• Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 28th Oct 16, 6:47 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

Another gorgeous autumn day and I had a lovely walk to see a very nice sculpture that I had been meaning to have a look at for ages.
    Also had a good look around a couple of charity shops and bought some 50p books to put away for future travels.
    Oh has been enjoying himself cutting up scrap wood to burn on our fire throughout the winter, and getting rid of a lot of junk at the same time. We are really pleased with the progress that we have made outside this autumn and it is so lovely not to feel we have to rush to get it all done in a weekend.

Need now to get back to having nsd much more frequently. I still have my eye on matching or going under last year's spending. Two months to go. Sister and bil round tonight so we bought a few snacks so no nsd today but still a cheap night.

Have a great weekend,
    Squirrel
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 29th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

I am going to be uncharacteristically well prepared for Christmas this year. We do a family lucky dip with gifts that must not cost more than a pound. So I am going round the charity shops today to see if I can find some nice things, rather than the last minute dash round pound land that I usually do.

I have learned how to burn a cd on my computer today and I am going to carve a pumpkin for a party we are going to tonight. All cheap fun but not a nsd. That will be tomorrow when I do some volunteering.

Hope you all have a thrifty day too. I have been reading the blog by Sue on Our new life in the country. She is trying to pay off the mortgage with a no spending on food books or clothes year. She is doing very well but I like that she slips up now and again as all humans do!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 29th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 19,522 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    How is she doing no food spends?
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 29th Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 34,115 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Hello,

She used sealed pot pennies, about £300, plus supermarket points and vouchers, with lots of homegrown stuff and their own eggs. Also emptying a chest freezer. Worth a read. Quite funny that the freezer is now full again with stuff grown this year so the objective of emptying it won't be achieved!
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 30th Oct 16, 6:45 AM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 19,522 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    That is impressive.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,000Posts Today

6,913Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @councilofdeans: Really useful info for prospective students on ?Student Loans Mythbusting? from @MartinSLewis: https://t.co/8C57Kzpg3Z?

• Got questions on switching banks repeatedly to make £100s from bonuses or Vodafone missbilling, ask @itvmlshow & we may be able to include

• This is why I'm delighted many Lords are going to oppose the retrospective hike in student loans...https://t.co/lEJk8esa0v

• Follow Martin