Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Melted plastic on dishwasher heating element (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Melted plastic on dishwasher heating element
Closed Thread
Views: 8,494
# 1
loopyloulou
Old 22-09-2006, 3:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Melted plastic on dishwasher heating element

I accidently melted a plastic fork and cat bowl in my dishwasher and there has been melted plastic on the heating element.

I got all visible plastic off of the heating element, but whenever i use it (and it gets to the drying bit" it makes my whole kitchen smell of melting plastic.....

i am getting quite worried about it and am not sure whether it will eventally burn off and the smell will go away or if i should get someone to look at it!

any advice appreciated!
# 2
BlondeHeadOn
Old 22-09-2006, 4:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I managed to drop a sharp kitchen knife with a plastic handle into the dishwasher by mistake, and it melted and stuck to the element, but through one of the cutlery baskets so it couldn't be removed at all! I was panicking because I thought I'd sha&&ed the dishwasher, but my OH just turned the DW on again for a cycle without any pots in it (except the stuck knife). He waited until the water had heated up again - so the element was hot - opened the DW up, switched it off at the socket and simply wiggled the knife until the (now soft and melty) plastic came away from the element completely. No damage to the element, DW not knackered, and I got my knife back - although the handle was a bit Dali-esque by now!

Maybe the same principle could work for you - so long as the element is hot you should be able to remove all the last bits of plastic. Do remember to switch the DW off and unplug first though!

# 3
flang
Old 22-09-2006, 5:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

it will burn off eventually if not but do try and clean it when its hot, maybe with a garden glove and cloth.
# 4
tawnyowls
Old 22-09-2006, 6:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have you tried putting some ice-cubes on it so the plastic becomes brittle? Should then be easy to chip off with something non-metal, like a plastic spoon or wooden spatula.
# 5
Lord_Gardener
Old 24-09-2006, 9:12 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopyloulou
I accidently melted a plastic fork and cat bowl in my dishwasher and there has been melted plastic on the heating element.

I got all visible plastic off of the heating element, but whenever i use it (and it gets to the drying bit" it makes my whole kitchen smell of melting plastic.....

i am getting quite worried about it and am not sure whether it will eventally burn off and the smell will go away or if i should get someone to look at it!

any advice appreciated!
Shouldn't be much of a smell after a couple of wash cycles - worth checking under element to ensure all plastic has been removed if it continues!
Closed Thread