IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
nia birmingham parking??
Closed Thread
Views: 15,118
# 1
WOW Factor 0
angchris
Old 21-09-2006, 9:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default nia birmingham parking??

my family are thinking of going to see a show at the national indoor arena in birmingham, the tickets including travel through a coach firm locally are 40 having just looked on the nia site tickets alone are 15 and as i only live an hours drive away begrudge paying the extra for travel as there are 5 of us going. my question is... what is the parking like at the nia or nearby, where would be the best place to park?? or would it be easier just going by coach :confused: as i know there will be 1000`s piling out after the show and i dont want it turning into a parking nightmare iyswim :rolleyes: , any help gratefully received angchris
proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
quote from an american indian.
# 2
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 21-09-2006, 9:36 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Parking will be a nightmare

The NIA is situated just off Broad Street, which is the busiest part of the City for pubs, bars, restaurants and clubs. There is only just about enough parking to go around, without an event at the NIA - and that parking has to serve customers at the Rep Theatre, Symphony Hall and the surrounding hotels. I would imagine the whole area to be gridlocked, which it is on Friday/Saturday nights anyway.

Is the train/bus an option? Do you mind a walk? Where are you starting out from?
# 3
angchris
Old 21-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

starting out from gloucester
proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
quote from an american indian.
# 4
jassi_9
Old 21-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

well i play football in the nia 3 times a week, and have done for 3 years

parking will not be a problem they have and underground and over ground car park, and prices are 50p for an hour

there job is events, so they have 2 cater for events, there wont be a gridlock..........at all!
# 5
modgit
Old 21-09-2006, 10:57 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We live a little nearer than you - about 30 mins journey and always park on the NIA car park, for a show it's about 5, as they tend to have an evening rate. I will admit sometimes it takes a while for everyone to filter off as it's a multi-storey car park, which can be frustrating, but we've always managed to get off within 30 mins of the show ending.

HTH
# 6
MrSmartprice
Old 21-09-2006, 11:01 AM
PPR

If you don't mind a few minutes walk, there is plenty of on-street parking around Newhall Street/Margaret Street area, behind the Council House. This parking is free after (I think) 6.00, and we never have a problem getting a place when we go to the NIA or Symphony Hall.

You just walk past the Council House and Library, through the Mall and across the square.
# 7
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 21-09-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angchris
starting out from gloucester
So you'll be travelling M5 and then A38 or A456. Either way, those routes are through largely suburban areas with plenty of traffic lights along the way. There is no fast-track into the City Centre from the SW. It can be OK ... it can be incredibly tedious

Whilst I appreciate that other posters have had few problems - and I understand the point about the NIA being event-organisers - they can't organise local traffic. And that can be unpredictable on inadequate arterial routes. There's a bottleneck at Edgbaston Five Ways, where the A456 intersects with the inner ring road (A4010??) - you'll have to negotiate that, whichever route you take.

Although now living in E Sussex, I am Birmingham born & bred and lived there for 40 years until 4 years ago. You might get lucky and sail through .... you might end up cursing the day you decided to drive that particular route.

All that said, you asked about parking - and I agree, that there is sufficient parking in the vicinity. You take a chance on the journey to and from the area, though.

HTH
Closed Thread