Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Lloyds TSB Debit travel money charge (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Lloyds TSB Debit travel money charge
Closed Thread
Views: 3,217
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
pension seeker
Old 17-08-2010, 7:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 8
Angry Lloyds TSB Debit travel money charge

I have recently purchased travel money from Tesco & the Post Office, both online transactions, using my Lloyds TSB debit card. Lloyds have charged me £4.50 for each transaction!
The customer service advisor said it is because I chose to shop around for the best exchange rate instead of buying their own travel money.
I explained it was because Lloyds TSB exchange rate wasn't as good as the Post Office or Tesco and could she confirm that I had been penalised for shopping around. She said yes but it's in the terms and conditions.
I then explained that the charge, which is called a 'cash handling fee' is neither transparent or clear on their website but she just repeated "well it is there". What cash have they handled that differs from any other purchase??
I cannot find any terms which state that there will be a £4.50 charge for buying travel money from another source when you use your debit card.
It's my money for gods sake. I'm sure I wouldn't have been charged £4.50 for using my debit card to buy a sofa or a flight. What the hell is it to do with Lloyds TSB how I spend my money as long as I have enough funds in my account to pay for it?
I feel really ripped off. If I'd known I would have withdrawn the £3000 cash and bought my dollars over the counter.
Surely this can't be right or fair.
Advice please.
Does this seem right

Last edited by pension seeker; 17-08-2010 at 7:19 PM.
pension seeker is offline
Report Post
# 2
maemaesmummy
Old 17-08-2010, 7:27 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orlando Florida USA
Posts: 2,406
Default

check out Martin's travel money blog...they are listed there as charging a fee
Bit of a Florida Fan
8/12/08 Highlands Reserve, 3/12/09 Calaby Parc
18/8/10 Villa Upper Class 19/12/10 Villa Upper Class
10/08/11 C P Tower Lake 10/12/11 C P Tower Lake
28/4/12 Emerald Island 22/7/12 Florida for 6 weeks
13/12/12 4 weeks C P Tower Lake 13/2 Prize win Orlando
maemaesmummy is offline
Report Post
# 3
zppp
Old 17-08-2010, 7:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pension seeker View Post
I have recently purchased travel money from Tesco & the Post Office, both online transactions, using my Lloyds TSB debit card. Lloyds have charged me £4.50 for each transaction!
The customer service advisor said it is because I chose to shop around for the best exchange rate instead of buying their own travel money.
I explained it was because Lloyds TSB exchange rate wasn't as good as the Post Office or Tesco and could she confirm that I had been penalised for shopping around. She said yes but it's in the terms and conditions.
I then explained that the charge, which is called a 'cash handling fee' is neither transparent or clear on their website but she just repeated "well it is there". What cash have they handled that differs from any other purchase??
I cannot find any terms which state that there will be a £4.50 charge for buying travel money from another source when you use your debit card.
It's my money for gods sake. I'm sure I wouldn't have been charged £4.50 for using my debit card to buy a sofa or a flight. What the hell is it to do with Lloyds TSB how I spend my money as long as I have enough funds in my account to pay for it?
I feel really ripped off. If I'd known I would have withdrawn the £3000 cash and bought my dollars over the counter.
Surely this can't be right or fair.
Advice please.
Does this seem right
In effect you have taken foreign cash and this attracts a Visa charge. It is correct and it is fair. The charge is levied by Visa, not by Lloyds, but it will be stated in your conditions.
Best Regards

zppp

zppp is offline
Report Post
# 4
callum9999
Old 17-08-2010, 7:49 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zppp View Post
In effect you have taken foreign cash and this attracts a Visa charge. It is correct and it is fair. The charge is levied by Visa, not by Lloyds, but it will be stated in your conditions.

It's a cash advance fee - is that definitely charged by visa? I'd have thought it would be charged by Lloyds TSB. I know Nationwide doesn't charge for it.

OP - did the post office/Tesco not tell you about this charge? Everytime I've bought currency off a card I'm told there may be a cash advance fee (even though there never has been for me).

EDIT: I just looked and they both do tell you in obvious places. A bit late now but you should take notice of things like that.

Last edited by callum9999; 17-08-2010 at 7:52 PM.
callum9999 is online now
Report Post
# 5
laneycakes
Old 25-08-2010, 11:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43
Default

I've just had the same thing - but with barclays. 2 transactions, and two lots of £4.50.

i have to agree with the OP...it does feel like getting ripped off...here's my rationell...

I bought "a product" - yes in this case it was foreign money - but the vendor i bought it from charged me in sterling - so my bank hasnt had to do anything other than process a normal, uk based debit card transaction. I pay for plenty of services like this - gym sessions, insurances etc and don't get charged a fee - so why should they charge me for this? I could understand it if my bank had to convert the money or something - but as i said its a standard UK transaction in sterling. if they can get get away with this (especially when other cards dont charge) then whats to stop them from saying - actually if you're using your debit card to pay for insurance premiums, or for petrol we fancy nabbing more money of you so we'll charge you a fee?

obviously i may not understand the working of the system having never worked in a bank, and if someone can give me a reasonable explanation why banks charge this fee then fine...but i'm already preparing for a battle with my bank over the phone tomorrow over this one...
laneycakes is offline
Report Post
# 6
callum9999
Old 26-08-2010, 1:12 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,538
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneycakes View Post
I've just had the same thing - but with barclays. 2 transactions, and two lots of £4.50.

i have to agree with the OP...it does feel like getting ripped off...here's my rationell...

I bought "a product" - yes in this case it was foreign money - but the vendor i bought it from charged me in sterling - so my bank hasnt had to do anything other than process a normal, uk based debit card transaction. I pay for plenty of services like this - gym sessions, insurances etc and don't get charged a fee - so why should they charge me for this? I could understand it if my bank had to convert the money or something - but as i said its a standard UK transaction in sterling. if they can get get away with this (especially when other cards dont charge) then whats to stop them from saying - actually if you're using your debit card to pay for insurance premiums, or for petrol we fancy nabbing more money of you so we'll charge you a fee?

obviously i may not understand the working of the system having never worked in a bank, and if someone can give me a reasonable explanation why banks charge this fee then fine...but i'm already preparing for a battle with my bank over the phone tomorrow over this one...
I'm not quite sure why they do it for debit cards, but the travel money websites do warn you, and it should be in your terms and conditions for the card. At the end of the day, its your fault for ignoring the warnings and t&cs. (I do agree it seems like a rip-off though).
callum9999 is online now
Report Post
# 7
wr1ght
Old 27-08-2010, 1:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 368
Default

some places such as crown currency and fairfx allow bank transfers so theres no fee
wr1ght is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 2:27 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 29 October 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSBBC RADIO 1'S LIVE LOUNGE 2014
  • TAYLOR SWIFT1989 (DELUXE)
  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.