Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    sassy-one
    Car Tax Reminder
    • 6th Aug 10, 2:53 AM
    Car Tax Reminder 6th Aug 10 at 2:53 AM
    Hi all

Does anyone else know when DVLA send out your car tax duty reminder?
    As I though they sent it out 6 weeks before your old disc was due to expire, as I have normally received it then.

However, my car is due to expire the end of this month and I still have not received the reminder??

Although I can still tax it as I have the V5, just odd as to why I haven't yet.

Back log? Delays at DVLA (laughable!)

Brightest Blessings
    Life is to short to go on hating someone but there are some people who are pure evil and you are best far away as possible from.
    I've learned you should live every day as your last
    Snowflake <3 Always remembered
    Posted via my iPhone
Page 1
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 6th Aug 10, 6:22 AM
    • 4,935 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 6th Aug 10, 6:22 AM
    • 6th Aug 10, 6:22 AM
    My last one came about the 6th or 7th of the month. You can renew online from the 5th anyway.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
    • verityboo
    • By verityboo 6th Aug 10, 7:49 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    verityboo
    • 6th Aug 10, 7:49 AM
    • 6th Aug 10, 7:49 AM
    Mine is due at the end of the month. Reminder received yesterday
  • gordikin
    • 6th Aug 10, 11:52 AM
    • 6th Aug 10, 11:52 AM
    You can of course do it 'online' without the reminder.
    • hethmar
    • By hethmar 6th Aug 10, 12:09 PM
    • 10,395 Posts
    • 9,828 Thanks
    hethmar
    • 6th Aug 10, 12:09 PM
    • 6th Aug 10, 12:09 PM
    Can you? I thought you needed the reference that is on the reminder letter?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Aug 10, 12:13 PM
    • 27,898 Posts
    • 12,404 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Aug 10, 12:13 PM
    • 6th Aug 10, 12:13 PM
    Can you? I thought you needed the reference that is on the reminder letter?
    Originally posted by hethmar
    No.

You don't need the reminder - the log book is all you need to renew online.
    • Yorkie1
    • By Yorkie1 6th Aug 10, 7:26 PM
    • 10,943 Posts
    • 20,133 Thanks
    Yorkie1
    • 6th Aug 10, 7:26 PM
    • 6th Aug 10, 7:26 PM
    Mine arrived today for the end of this month.
  • sassy-one
    • 7th Aug 10, 1:15 AM
    • 7th Aug 10, 1:15 AM
    Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I have not received mine yet, hopefully any day.

I like to do mine in person as heard to many horror stories about the tax disc being delayed/going missing and I can't afford to take my car off road for even a day.

Thank you all - if I don't get mine within a week I give DVLA a ring
    Life is to short to go on hating someone but there are some people who are pure evil and you are best far away as possible from.
    Posted via my iPhone
  • Stephen Leak
    • 7th Aug 10, 2:48 PM
    • 7th Aug 10, 2:48 PM
    Why not set up a "Tart Alert" on here for the car tax, insurance and breakdown cover, just in case the reminder gets lost in the post, and especially the MOT, for which you don't get a reminder?

Also, I always make a point of renewing my car tax at my local Post Office - use it or lose it.
    Last edited by Stephen Leak; 07-08-2010 at 2:52 PM.
  • sassy-one
    Why not set up a "Tart Alert" on here for the car tax, insurance and breakdown cover, just in case the reminder gets lost in the post, and especially the MOT, for which you don't get a reminder?

Also, I always make a point of renewing my car tax at my local Post Office - use it or lose it.
    Originally posted by Stephen Leak

Totally agree with you Stephen, post office to do car tax is the way to go which I still do.

I always remember when it's due, that isn't the problem it's just strange that I have not received my reminder, still !

Will wait till in the week, if nothing a call to DVLA should sort it.

May be I'm being offered free tax this year - I wish LOL
    Posted via my iPhone
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 8th Aug 10, 12:31 AM
    • 9,700 Posts
    • 5,286 Thanks
    Strider590
    ^^ Need to call the DVLA and maybe even write a letter, COVER YOUR BACK!!! else the next thing your hear from the DVLA will be an unavoidable fine.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
  • sassy-one
    ^^ Need to call the DVLA and maybe even write a letter, COVER YOUR BACK!!! else the next thing your hear from the DVLA will be an unavoidable fine.
    Originally posted by Strider590

I will

I intend to tax my car with the V5 Logbook anyway, so doesn't really affect me - but will be making sure they haven't got the address wrong on the database even though my address hasn't change since getting my last reminder - as I know the wrong address can result in a automatic fine.

Do you know of a LoCal rate number to get them at? or am I stuck with the normal 0845 lovely number?
    Posted via my iPhone
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 8th Aug 10, 1:06 AM
    • 4,935 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I taxed mine online as soon as the reminder came. That way I had nearly a whole month for the disc to come in the post. So plenty of time to chase it up if it hadn't of arrived within the time they stated.
  • Inactive
    Do you know of a LoCal rate number to get them at? or am I stuck with the normal 0845 lovely number?
    Originally posted by sassy-one
    It is actually an 0870 number, my telephone supplier doesn't charge me for 0845 or 0870 numbers, not sure why yours does.

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.f ramework.internal.refresh&pageid=Contact+Us
  • sassy-one
    I will need to call them in the week, either way I much prefer doing my taxing at the Post Office.

I don't have a land line - only a mobile

Reason I may not have received it could be the same reason as to why last month I received a local letter dated January 20th of this year in July this year - strange
    Posted via my iPhone
    • dannymccann
    • By dannymccann 8th Aug 10, 8:57 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    dannymccann
    If I dont buy it online I go into my local DVLA office to get it, really CBA queuing at the post office for about 2 hours while someone collects their pension then has a natter about what they did for the last week after receiving last weeks pension etc etc

O, and the people that queue to send greetings card from the counter - what the hell is that about?! Go to Superdrug and buy some stamps and then put them in one of those big red boxes you see every 0.5 miles on the side of the road
  • sassy-one
    If I dont buy it online I go into my local DVLA office to get it, really CBA queuing at the post office for about 2 hours while someone collects their pension then has a natter about what they did for the last week after receiving last weeks pension etc etc

O, and the people that queue to send greetings card from the counter - what the hell is that about?! Go to Superdrug and buy some stamps and then put them in one of those big red boxes you see every 0.5 miles on the side of the road
    Originally posted by dannymccann
    Hmmmm........... Still no Tax reminder and due the end of this month.

I am now wondering if to leave ringing DVLA and just taxing with my V5, as a call to them will cost me and I will be passed from one to another !

Can't understand why I have not received mine yet - got it last time fine!

And regards the Post Office and people posting cards - no comment but agree, but heyho!
    Posted via my iPhone
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th Aug 10, 2:54 AM
    • 4,935 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Hmmmm........... Still no Tax reminder and due the end of this month.

I am now wondering if to leave ringing DVLA and just taxing with my V5, as a call to them will cost me and I will be passed from one to another !

Can't understand why I have not received mine yet - got it last time fine!

And regards the Post Office and people posting cards - no comment but agree, but heyho!
    Originally posted by sassy-one
    Tax it online now via the www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk website using your car reg and the doc ref number off the V5. You don't need the reminder.

I can't be bothered with Post Office either. The local one doesn't do tax discs, so have to go to main Post Office in town which is always busy with 2 people serving out of about 6 counters. And they are selling lottery tickets, sweets and biscuits in between so taking up double the time!
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Aug 10, 7:59 AM
    • 23,599 Posts
    • 49,970 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    I have two cars to tax at the end of August.

One reminder came yesterday.

TBH I was surprised to receive it so early in the month.
  • sassy-one
    Just a update

I today received my reminder, so no need for ringing DVLA as I thought I would end up having too.

Thank's to all that offered help/advice

Have a good weekend
    Posted via my iPhone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,979Posts Today

7,954Users online

Martin's Twitter