IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Carers allowance backdated
Closed Thread
Views: 9,252
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 02-08-2010, 2:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Default Carers allowance backdated

Does anyone know how long I could have carers allowance backdated. I asked years ago could we apply for my son who got Middle Rate Care & was told my husband could not claim as he gets SDA for himself ( I already get it for my mother-in-law). I now find out he could have claimed. Any ideas anyone???

My son now gets high rate care!!!
loz21 is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 02-08-2010, 2:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: manchester
Posts: 305

If your husband claims SDA for himself and was awarded Carers Allowance they would not both be payable.

They are what are called overlapping benefits and in effect you would get the higher of the two. Both benefits cannot be paid together.
ceecee1 is offline
Report Post
# 3
Old 02-08-2010, 4:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2

Sorry forgot to say that I know that he wouldn't get carers allowance paid directly but was told that he would get the carers premium added to his income support, is this correct? If it is correct how long would the money be backdated?
loz21 is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 02-08-2010, 4:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,954

If it was possible only to the day you make the claim unless you were wrongly advised and you have proof of it
karenx is offline
Report Post
# 5
Old 02-08-2010, 6:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 818

When applying for Carers Allowance you can enter an earlier date you wish to claim Carers Allowance from but the maximum backdating allowed is three months (13 weeks). So long as all conditions for CA were met in those three months then it is automatically granted. You then have one month (or three, I forget which) from when you get your Carers Allowance award notification letter to notify Income Support and the Carers Premium will be backdated three months. So enter a date which is at least 13 weeks ago if this is applicable.

The only other way to get backdating is to claim a compensation payment (usually at least equal to benefits that were not paid) if you didn't claim Carers Allowance earlier because of wrong advice given by a DWP official. You will need to have some sort of proof however. Under this route compensation can be open ended and payments for several years worth of benefits have been made. You would be better off speaking to a welfare rights organisation if you want to pursue this route since your claim would be complicated by the fact that no actual loss of money for Carers Allowance has taken place, the compensation claim would be for loss of the Carers Premium in Income Support. It's worth pursuing though if you have some proof of getting wrong advice though there have been cases where actual proof wasn't needed.

Last edited by Robbie64; 02-08-2010 at 6:34 PM.
Robbie64 is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:24 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 25 March 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed