Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Funeral Expenses, What happens if person cant pay?
    • 1st Aug 10, 8:47 PM
    Funeral Expenses, What happens if person cant pay? 1st Aug 10 at 8:47 PM
    I have a discussion with this top.

When a person dies. Say they have, No assets! No money! No insurance! And are generally poor! The family are also poor as well and cant afford to cover the funeral costs! Or maybe they dont want to know! They can not claim any benefits there fore cant get any help there either!

I would like to add also that.

This person is now in a care home and he has no assets and previously lived in a council house, he has no money either.

So the council can not get back any money from assets or anything at all as he simply does not have this.

The Mother died when she was a young child herself so there is no support system for her or family. She is in ill health herself now and can not afford to pay funeral expenses, she just about manages herself to keep a roof over her head.

The Father told everyone years ago including the child that he was insured for thousands, but it turned out to be a complete lie, they found he was not covered at all. He even told friends he owned his council house, which he didnt of course.

People started visiting him because they thought he had lots of money. He has nothing. Unfortunately the Father told lie after lie but the only one to suffer would be her really. She took out an insurance but could not keep up payments on her own, when she turned to family to help out, they just turned their backs on her.

He is now in a care home and gets his 21.60pw I think she said.

What happens then? Does anyone know the answer to this?

I just wondered?
    Last edited by Ladywriter1968; 03-08-2010 at 4:10 PM. Reason: Adding more text. To explain further.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

315Posts Today

1,384Users online

Martin's Twitter