Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 1st Aug 10, 9:58 AM
    • 8,834Posts
    • 66,272Thanks
    jo1972
    The giving up/cutting down alcohol support thread Part 8!
    • 1st Aug 10, 9:58 AM
    The giving up/cutting down alcohol support thread Part 8! 1st Aug 10 at 9:58 AM
    Welcome all , to a brand new sparkly giving up/cutting down alcohol support thread! (if you wait for Lurky to do anything, you'd wait a life time )

In Search Of Me started this thread back in February 2008 (please see her opening post below) and since then it has become one of the fastest growing threads on MSE, hence us now being on number 8!

I am sure there are many many lurkers out there, as Part 7 has around 4700 posts but well over 90,000 views!!

So please, lurkers, AWOL posters and oldies alike, please join us in Part 8, it's the 1st August 2010, a whole brand new shiney month!

We have regular challenges, a monthly AF (alcohol free) challenge where you can pick a target of how many days AF you would like to be, we sometimes have 24 hour AF challenges.

December Baby (DB) has kindly offered to take the gauntlet for August, so if you would like to join (even if we are halfway through the month), please let her know how many days you would like to achieve.

It's not just about giving up alcohol completely (unless that's what you want to do and there are lots of people to support you here), it's also about cutting down to save money and get healthier.

Oh come on, let's be honest, it's not about the booze, it's all about what we're having for dinner, hairy feet and goats in showers

Here are the previous threads:

The previous thread (part 7) is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is ISOM's opening post in Part 1:

"There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!

PS have amended this slightly as I have decided that I will try for the moderation way! That means for me not drinking over the recc limits (bottle & a half of wine for me!) but I know at times this will be a struggle plus I'm aware that others want to do the same."

A NEW MONTH, A NEW THREAD.......C'MMMMMMON GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
Page 140
    • clarabell13
    • By clarabell13 24th Sep 10, 5:27 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 1,368 Thanks
    clarabell13
    In the words of the swishy swooshy hair commercial

I'll be AF tonght and deaf of any bells, because I'm worth it!

(I'm trying eh )
    Originally posted by fayjmck
    Fay thankyou so much for posting that. I was on the verge of heading out the door to the shop and that made me laugh so much I thought s*d it, I'm worth it too!! So no shop (well not yet anyway )
    • 365days
    • By 365days 24th Sep 10, 5:36 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 9,005 Thanks
    365days
    Ouch - got my own words biting me back there. I am doing my best to remember myself the way I was before !!!! happened and believe that I can be like that again. Thanks Jo
    Originally posted by Marru

This just reminded me of a dream I used to have regularly but haven't had recently (maybe since being AF as it happens). In my dream I would get a phone call from The University saying they had made a terrible mistake and I didn't actually pass my degree and therefore was unqualified to teach. Considering I graduated in 1994 (scraping a 3rd but still a pass eh?) that was a long time to be having panicy dreams about not passing. 15 years of not thinking I was good enough. Blimy.

Marru-you'll never be who you were again. No one will. You will have all the extra experience of coming thru a carp time in one piece to add to the fabulous person you were before. Therefore you will be even better!
    Last edited by 365days; 24-09-2010 at 5:37 PM. Reason: chronic typing
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • penelopedee
    Evening everyone, hope you are all well. Just wanted to send out hugs and virtual specially designed 'bells' earplugs to anyone that needs them.

Have a good Friday evening all. Pen x
    This time I haven't smoked since 6th Jan 2014 and still going ok.
    Fingers crossed x
    • jo1972
    • By jo1972 24th Sep 10, 7:01 PM
    • 8,834 Posts
    • 66,272 Thanks
    jo1972
    Sim, congrats on winning the appeal, that must be a huge weight lifted. Well done for getting all the paperwork sorted for it xx
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 24th Sep 10, 7:40 PM
    • 13,337 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    Jo is just about to start part 9 of this thread folks

Part 9 is here
    Last edited by nearlyrich; 24-09-2010 at 9:07 PM.
    NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
    Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,399Posts Today

7,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin