Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 11th Sep 06, 12:07 PM
    • 3,635 Posts
    • 5,537 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 11th Sep 06, 12:07 PM
    • 11th Sep 06, 12:07 PM
    how about vaseline?then when you clean the loo you can just clean off with loo paper and reapply.
  • melancholly
    • 11th Sep 06, 12:27 PM
    • 11th Sep 06, 12:27 PM
    good question! the ones at my OH's place get very nasty whereas at mine there doesn't seem to be a problem!!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 11th Sep 06, 1:11 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 11th Sep 06, 1:11 PM
    • 11th Sep 06, 1:11 PM
    I could do with some help on this too (2 sons:rolleyes: )
  • sophiesmum
    • 11th Sep 06, 1:37 PM
    • 11th Sep 06, 1:37 PM
    As a mother of three sons i have always used vaseline or wd40 and then reapplied after cleaning toilet. Never had a problem since.
    sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• kittykat500
    • 11th Sep 06, 1:54 PM
    • 11th Sep 06, 1:54 PM
    Yes, I'm also the proud mother of two diabolical aimers!! I'm currently trying to tackle the rust problem with vast deposits of vinegar! Does anyone know if I'm doing the right thing? If nothing else, it will shift the limescale deposit I suppose!
    • getcarter
    • By getcarter 11th Sep 06, 2:01 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    getcarter
    • 11th Sep 06, 2:01 PM
    • 11th Sep 06, 2:01 PM
    My toilet hinges have just died and so the lid has fallen off!
  • Pattie1968
    • 11th Sep 06, 2:18 PM
    • 11th Sep 06, 2:18 PM
    Thanks for the replies,

I'm going to try the vaseline!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 11th Sep 06, 2:34 PM
    • 17,059 Posts
    • 132,681 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 11th Sep 06, 2:34 PM
    • 11th Sep 06, 2:34 PM
    Hello!

Anyone know where you can get replacement hinges? My hinges go long before the wooden seat is past it. It seams a shame to dispose of the seat, for the sake of a couple of small bits of metal.

I'll try the vaseline next time.

Penny. x
    Living the dream
  • Sarahsaver
    They rust because they have iron in them and therefore will oxidise, they are in a damp environment: the bathroom, so it may not be your sons' bad aim They will even get wet if you run a bath or shower as the water will condense on them being cold metal.
    Get some that do not include iron, but bare in mind if you get brass ones you will get verdigris instead which is almost as bad as rust. I think mine must be stainless steel as theres no rust on them at all.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • foreverskint
    Try some clear nailvarnish after cleaning them thoroughly. That will stop the air getting to the metal and tarnishing.

As SS say's it's the damp atmosphere that contributes to the problem.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 11th Sep 06, 3:30 PM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 37,240 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    We've had 3 seats with brass hinges and they did get verdigris no matter what I did. We've now got one with stainless steel hinges (bought in haste last Sunday afternoon when the previous seat broke half an hour before B&Q was due to close!) so i'm hoping that will be much easier to keep clean!
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 11th Sep 06, 4:51 PM
    • 3,052 Posts
    • 17,507 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    B & Q sell the hinges on their own. I bought one with plastic covered hinges, problem solved!
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• melancholly
    Try some clear nailvarnish after cleaning them thoroughly. That will stop the air getting to the metal and tarnishing.

As SS say's it's the damp atmosphere that contributes to the problem.
    by foreverskint
    i should have thought of that after the recent threads on here about the amazing uses for clear nail varnish..........!
    • nicki
    • By nicki 12th Sep 06, 10:06 AM
    • 7,125 Posts
    • 86,538 Thanks
    nicki
    My mum has just bought one from our local B&Q equivalent (Taskers for those of you who live nearby - it's a Liverpool only firm ATM). Her's is a plastic hinged one that she can easily remove weekly to clean up after my dad & brother I think it may also be an "anti-slam" one I know the one in her cloak room downstairs only drops so far and then gently lowers itself - frightened the life out of DD when she first used it
    Baby steps and organisation....
    Declutter 2016 in 2016 : 1132/2016 (Actually left the house!)
    Saving daily in 2016: 137/366 as I started in November (correct end of Feb)
    Target for the year: Get into the black with my bank account by making do, mending and minimising!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,892Posts Today

7,240Users online

Martin's Twitter