Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > RCM - Dodgy Debt Collectors? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
RCM - Dodgy Debt Collectors?
Closed Thread
Views: 6,141
# 1
climbintheladderouttadebt
Old 23-07-2010, 1:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default RCM - Dodgy Debt Collectors?

I'm tackling some debts for a friend. Just last month, a company called RCM contacted her, via a bright yellow postcard, with some info but not many details.

(RECEIVED 22 JUNE 2010)

It stated someone would be visiting the family home on Tuesday (that day, from what I remember) between 9am & 9pm. The contact listed was M Owen 0870 240 4582
Registered in England No. 4215488
Postage paid Birmingham 4308
Reference number 1074418 (printed on address side)

(original thread here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...753&highlight=

Now, the company have been back in contact and it turns out to be someone else. A letter dated 14 July explains who their client is and the amount owed. That's fine. However, some things differ from the postcard, such as the 'Registered in England No.' and the reference number.

On the card it said 'Registered in England No. 4215488' and 'Reference number 1074418'

On the letter it said 'Registered in England No. 2136169' and 'Reference number Y307110'.

Has anyone got any experience with these people? Ideally I'd like to set up a payment plan on friend's behalf (by letter ONLY). But I'd like to complain about their tactics and wondered if they may be mis-representing themselves or have acted unfairly in any way for us to complain about?

Any ideas if we have a complaint here or anything to worry about?

Many thanks!
I've got nothing else but I've got my family.
Mum to Moo age 6, Wills aged 3. 2nd wedding anniversary 11/13!

# 2
mr.ton
Old 23-07-2010, 1:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The cretins in the DCA industry like to send out these silly cards in order to intimidate people.
Fact is that they have less rights than the milkman to turn up and can simply be told to go away.
By law they have to make an appointment & you are within your rights to not make one with them.
I would ask them to prove that you owe whatever debt they are chasing you for.
Also report them to the OFT & trading standards.
The Following User Says Thank You to mr.ton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Old 23-07-2010, 2:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

OK, thanks, will write to OFT & TS this afternoon. This debt is certianly owed (it is my friends debt though, not mine) - she took it out in April this year.

Any ideas about the company numbers? Should they have 2 different ones? Is that anything I can complain about?

Many thanks!

# 4
Old 30-07-2010, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Another query about this 'company' - having sent a letter on behalf of my friend, recorded delivery, it has been signed for by 'FIS' at the PO Box address that RCM supply on their letters.

The website for the company is this: http://www.fismerchantpayments.com/page.asp?id=3

What on earth is going on?! If anyone can shed some light on our confusion we'd be very grateful! Thank you!

# 5
Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

This company also trades under the name 'Certegy Ltd' and is apparently something to do with Transax and unpaid cheques - so are they not a DCA then? I wrote to them on my friends behalf and they signed for the letter on 29/7/2010, but if they are not debt collectors as such then what powers (if any) will they hold? I have no idea how to handle this one - has anyone got any help and advice for me please?

# 6
Thalassa
Old 27-04-2011, 8:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'm having the same problem. Letter came through the door about a cheque that bounced not wanting these people on my tail I rung them the next day and arranged payment and today when I ring my bank I find that NO MONEY has been taken and this M. Owen is calling round on Tuesday!
# 7
jules1973
Old 27-04-2011, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Is it just be or does M Owen sound like Money Owing. Maybe it is just my mind working in strange ways.
# 8
worried jim
Old 27-04-2011, 8:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
I'm having the same problem. Letter came through the door about a cheque that bounced not wanting these people on my tail I rung them the next day and arranged payment and today when I ring my bank I find that NO MONEY has been taken and this M. Owen is calling round on Tuesday!
No one will EVER call at your door.The postcard is simply designed to intimidate into calling- which you did.
"Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
# 9
Thalassa
Old 28-04-2011, 6:47 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'm going to ring them and make a huge complaint - this is harrassment and intimidation.
# 10
worried jim
Old 28-04-2011, 7:58 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
I'm going to ring them and make a huge complaint - this is harrassment and intimidation.
They don't care - you will just be wasting your time I'm afraid, in fact it will just encourage them as it proves that this tactic works for them.
"Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
Albert Einstein
# 11
mightylion
Old 18-08-2011, 1:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default hi

i have previously asked certegy ltd to prove the debt they claim exists, gave them 30 days to provide me with lawful evidence and they failed to. i billed them a few times and now i also recieved a posted card through my door stating j hargreaves will be calling on tuesday between 9am-9pm. i sent him a letter asking him to prove any debt lawfully. the next day, before my letter was signed for, i recieved another letter from them stating that they are charging me 20 for the card they sent me the day before, also it stated that the 20 will be added on to the previous statement they sent me which they hadn't. a few days later i recieved two more of the cards, both of which are identical. they are exactly the same as the first one but these two state M. Owen will be calling now. when i sent my letter to them i also enclosed a removal of implied right to access my property and grounds and my copyright and trademark user agreement. they have failed to reply to the points i raised in my letter and have ignored my copyright user agreement at their own peril as the two most recent cards have my name on both which are infringements on my copyright. my letter also stated that i will not discuss this matter over the phone and wish to only be contacted in writing sent recorded delivery. they still want me to call to contract with them. ignorance is their technique, thats cool, it will fall harder on them.
lets see how many post cards i will get before they break my agreement and sell the debt on or pass it back to the credit company.

fear is their only tactic and im not scared!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread