Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > Argos Television Warranty (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Argos Television Warranty
Closed Thread
Views: 4,924
# 1
islandhealer
Old 20-07-2010, 8:53 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Argos Television Warranty

Hi

I recently purchased a Sony Television from Argos. This was advertised with a three year guarantee.

The television was delivered on 21 June and I only found out on 3 July that there should have been a special leaflet in the box that was Argos/Sony warranty that had to be sent off recorded delivery within 30 days.

Since then I have been in contact with Argos to get this missing leaflet. They keep saying it is Sony's responsibility. But when I contact Sony they say they can't send it out as it is a special warranty between Argos and Sony and it is up to Argos to sort it out.

I sent a recorded delivery letter to Argos that was not even acknowledged. Then sent an email and was told by Argos on the 3 July that they had contacted Sony and the leaflet/warranty would arrive in 14 days.

Nothing has arrived, so I e-mailed Argos yesterday to be told it has nothing to do with them and I have to contact Sony????

By the time I get this warranty leaflet or if I ever do, it will out of the 30 day limit.

Does anyone know the Head Office of Argos or the Complaints Managers address as no-one else seems to know what they are talking about.

Thank you for your help.
I would
# 2
Distorted Vision
Old 20-07-2010, 9:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Make a formal complaint to Trading Standards.
# 3
neilmcl
Old 20-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I'm sure all the leaflet does is give you a code to ring through to Sony with to extend the warranty. Have you tried just calling the Sony Extended warranty team directly to sort it rather than wait for the leaflet.
# 4
Freddie_Snowbits
Old 20-07-2010, 12:35 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted Vision View Post
Make a formal complaint to Trading Standards.
Where should the complaint start then? The school OP went to for their inability to read?
# 5
BargainGalore
Old 20-07-2010, 12:43 PM

Its Argos responsibility to give you the guarantee, it could be argued the tv was bought on the promise of a 3 year guarantee
# 6
Daveswife
Old 20-07-2010, 2:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I too bought a Sony TV from Argos this year with the promise of a 3 year guarantee. Didn't know I had to register it as there was nothing in the box to indicate as such. I did keep a screen shot of my online purchase though, and it says clearly that it comes with a 3 year warranty.

Hopefully I won't need to use it!

DW
# 7
islandhealer
Old 20-07-2010, 2:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Well if I was you I would sort it out asap! If anything goes wrong with the tv I doubt Sony will honour the guarantee unless it is registered.

I've written to Sara Weller Argos Ltd 489-499 Avebury Boulevard Saxon Gate West Central Milton Keynes MK9 2NW

Enclose a copy of the three year guarantee offer.

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately this is not an extended guarantee just with Sony, thats why they won't deal with it. Its between Argos/Sony and has to have an Argos authorisation.
The Following User Says Thank You to islandhealer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Missus_Ragger
Old 22-07-2010, 2:06 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Argos Customer Services are not at The Head Office in Milton Keynes and the switchboard there will not be able to help you as the Customer Services team are not even based there. Milton Keynes is an admin building only. Customer Services are based at Stafford.

For ALL Customer Complaints you will need to either;

Telephone:
0845-640-2020 (Then choose Option 4 to speak to an advisor) OR
Email :
enquiries@argos.co.uk OR
Write to:
The Correspondance Team,
Argos Customer Services
Argos Direct,
Acton Gate,
Stafford,
ST18 9AR
# 9
bungle4001
Old 23-07-2010, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default 3 year Argos warranty

I purchased a 50 inch Samsung Plasma from Argos, the Tv was advertised as having a 3 year warranty included. as for the warranty i received nothing in the post or by email and it didnt come with the Tv, so i contacted Argos and was told as long as i had the order no. and my receipt there would be no problems. 2 years later the pictures gone on the Tv. i contact Argos who say the warranty information was posted to me when i bought the Tv, as i didnt return it the warranty is void. 2 weeks 8 phone calls and 4 emails to Argos i now have to to get an accredited engineers report, at a cost of 96 send it recorded delivery then wait 7 to 10 days for Argos to contact me to discuss the next steps.
Ive found out the first years warranty is covered by Samsung the next 2 years Argos takes out with the Alliance insurance company.

Please make sure your get your warranty.
# 10
Hoppingmadyin
Old 26-10-2010, 6:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Hitachi LCD missing warranty

I bought a 42 inch LCD telly instore again adverised with 3 year warranty in Dec 08. TV is now switching itself off after around an hour and a half and wont go back on for half an hour. AGAIN Argos failed to provide the leaflet needed to activate the warranty and again as over 60 days Allianz(?) will not honour the additional 2 years on the guarantee.

Also argos don't even have it on record that the TV had the additional warranty????

I am wondering how many times can they accidently forget to provide a leaflet and what courses of action remain open to me.
Argos advised having the telly independently checked and if it is a manufacturing fault they will repair it provided within 6 years of purchase.
# 11
wealdroam
Old 26-10-2010, 8:09 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppingmadyin View Post
I bought a 42 inch LCD telly instore again adverised with 3 year warranty in Dec 08. TV is now switching itself off after around an hour and a half and wont go back on for half an hour. AGAIN Argos failed to provide the leaflet needed to activate the warranty and again as over 60 days Allianz(?) will not honour the additional 2 years on the guarantee.

Also argos don't even have it on record that the TV had the additional warranty????

I am wondering how many times can they accidently forget to provide a leaflet and what courses of action remain open to me.
Argos advised having the telly independently checked and if it is a manufacturing fault they will repair it provided within 6 years of purchase.
When you purchased the television and the extended warranty, did you check that you had some sort of confirmation of that warranty?

Or did you ask for some sort of confirmation of that warranty?
# 12
tomitma
Old 26-10-2010, 9:30 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Wink

A friend of mine bought a Sony 42" and used it for 10 months before it broke down, of course Argos didnt want to know, they said she had to get in touch with Sony, Sony told her to get an independant TV repair man to write stating what was wrong with the TV, and cost of repair. To do this would have taken nearly a week to get the repair man, who wasent allowed to repair it until Sony said yes.

So what she did was she went into Argos, and bought the exact same TV, took it home, then she put the old one in the box and took it back into Argos and told them it was faulty. One happy lady. I must admit you have to be really angry to do this, but its worth knowing.
# 13
Ignite
Old 27-10-2010, 4:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would write a letter to Argos enclosing a photocopy of the advert with mention of the 3 years warranty. Inform them that they have 14 days to get the matter sorted or that you will proceed with a small claims court action to recover the cost of the TV. Mention in the letter that at no time did they supply you with anything to send off to register the set and that failure to sort out the matter can be seen as a failure of theirs to honour their part of the purchase.

Send this as a recorded delivery.

Remember that your contract is between you and the retailer and not anyone else. In this case Argos are the retailer therefore under law, they are liable.
# 14
Scottyboy2k9
Old 14-03-2012, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hey all, had same problem with my tv,sound but no display,and was reading through all your advice here.i called Argos regarding this as I had bought my tv on the premise of 3 years warranty,when I finally got through I was told it was only 1 year and you had to have signed up for the extra 2,I was never given any hint of this being the case. I was then told I would have to get an independent report done on the tv fault,and produce this report and my receipt in store and they would then decide if they would help me.i booked a report(50),but decided to call into Argos on my way home from work.when I relayed this to the supervisor he said he had never heard of any process requiring a report on the fault,and that by law I was covered for up to 6 years under the sales of goods act for large electrical appliances. As my tv was 2 years old he said that as that is a third of 6 years,he would take the price paid for the tv originally,take a third off and refund me two thirds of the price.i went and got the tv and receipt,brought it back,Argos didn't even test it,refunded me two thirds of the original price and I put the rest to that and bought a brand new higher-spec tv.cant speak higher of the staff,they were fantastic in-store,as for their customer service hotline,awful......
# 15
deanos
Old 14-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyboy2k9 View Post
Hey all, had same problem with my tv,sound but no display,and was reading through all your advice here.i called Argos regarding this as I had bought my tv on the premise of 3 years warranty,when I finally got through I was told it was only 1 year and you had to have signed up for the extra 2,I was never given any hint of this being the case. I was then told I would have to get an independent report done on the tv fault,and produce this report and my receipt in store and they would then decide if they would help me.i booked a report(50),but decided to call into Argos on my way home from work.when I relayed this to the supervisor he said he had never heard of any process requiring a report on the fault,and that by law I was covered for up to 6 years under the sales of goods act for large electrical appliances. As my tv was 2 years old he said that as that is a third of 6 years,he would take the price paid for the tv originally,take a third off and refund me two thirds of the price.i went and got the tv and receipt,brought it back,Argos didn't even test it,refunded me two thirds of the original price and I put the rest to that and bought a brand new higher-spec tv.cant speak higher of the staff,they were fantastic in-store,as for their customer service hotline,awful......
Lucky you got a manager that didn't know what he was on about !
The Following User Says Thank You to deanos For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread