Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 16th Jul 10, 1:13 PM
    • 2,074Posts
    • 6,706Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    Stop being a Wimp!... DMP Journey
    • 16th Jul 10, 1:13 PM
    Stop being a Wimp!... DMP Journey 16th Jul 10 at 1:13 PM
    For the last 2 years I have known that we have a problem but I have continued to try and pay all the bills, mortgage and CC's often using CC's to pay other things and withdrawing cash to keep us going.

My OH is a gardener so his work is very seasonal, plus we were shafted by a family member. This means that his income goes up and down all the time and sometimes down but not up!

Anyway, the time has come when I have to say I have been defeated by the CC's and cannot continue to pay them the amounts that I have been doing.

I posted that I was scared to take the next step down the CCCS and DMP route but have found that the people on this forum are wonderful and have given me the encouragement and strength to go through with this, instead of chickening out and carrying on further into the mire.

SO....

I have done the CCCS debt remedy and feel more positive already.

Tomorrow I am going to ask for a Co-op cashminder account - this bit is hard as I feel loyalty to my current bank???? - got to stop this and I'm sure when I default on the loan that I have with them I will change my mind!

Then need to speak to the CCCS and complete all the forms

Then maybe I can stop crying, worrying, stressing out, feeling sick, having headaches, feeling depressed and maybe the ringing in my ears will stop too!

So I'm going to update this diary with my progress and then look back in a couple of months to see if I feel better and whether I am in a better place financially. At the moment both myself & OH are throwing money at our debts but not making any inroads whatsoever and I want my life back!!
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    Saving for Xmas 2017 #1 338/ 732
    DFBXMAS 2017 #18 1978/1,978 100%
    EF #142 - 695/1000
Page 36
    • Chrisblue1962
    • By Chrisblue1962 4th Mar 17, 2:58 PM
    • 1,120 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    Chrisblue1962
    Hi Ellie

I am quietly elated that you are finally debt free. You ae shining example of what can be achieved with knowledge, hard work and a vast amount of self belief.

Myself and my OH are still "navigating the stormy seas to a harbour in Debt Free Land" but your fanastic achievement only serves to double my resolve.

So Ellie, in the near future I hope you find a quiet moment and sit down with a glass / mug of your favourite beverage and quietly enjoy it whilst saying to yourself " Success!".

Heartfelt best wishes for the future
    DFW'er - Lightbulb moment : 31st July 2009 - 18,499
    28th March 2017 -
    14,978.00 - 19.3% paid off.
    Demolishing my House of Debt.. one brick at a time!!
    Thinking of spending???..YNAB says "NO!!!!"

• Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 4th Mar 17, 3:21 PM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 20,098 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Congratulations Ellie

Here's to a bigger, better future - can't wait to hear all your plans.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 8 for May
    NSD - 8/16
    (up to 17/5/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 4th Mar 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    Hi Ellie

I am quietly elated that you are finally debt free. You ae shining example of what can be achieved with knowledge, hard work and a vast amount of self belief.

Myself and my OH are still "navigating the stormy seas to a harbour in Debt Free Land" but your fanastic achievement only serves to double my resolve.

So Ellie, in the near future I hope you find a quiet moment and sit down with a glass / mug of your favourite beverage and quietly enjoy it whilst saying to yourself " Success!".

Heartfelt best wishes for the future
    Originally posted by Chrisblue1962
    Hello Chris and thank you for your good wishes.

It's been a long road but one that I am glad I have travelled.

I wish you well with your own journey and hope to be cheering you over the finish line in the not too distant future.

Thanks again
    Ellie x
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 4th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    Congratulations Ellie

Here's to a bigger, better future - can't wait to hear all your plans.
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    Thank you EE

Ellie x
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 16th Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    This is a looooong month!

After the euphoria of becoming debt-free, I find myself back down to earth with a bump. I am still working on a tight budget due to the last payment to SC so won't feel the benefit until April.

Life goes on as usual and my urge to announce my new found status to everyone I meet has abated and nothing has changed

I have a Savings account set up and have deposited 10 so far...my goal for the next few months is to reach that elusive 1000 emergency fund

Take care
    Ellie x
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 17th Mar 17, 3:17 AM
    • 3,629 Posts
    • 20,242 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I think that's often what happens, Ellie, feeling a bit deflated once the initial euphoria has worn off. Just remember how far you've come and what you've achieved, that's enough to have you doing cartwheels round the garden

Just try to enjoy the lovely spring-like weather if you're lucky enough to have any and take a bit of much-deserved 'you' time to make some plans for a wonderful debt-free future
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Apr: 1240.02. May: 380.96
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: 1200.00/3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: 56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : 32316. Balance: 24488
    • River.Bee
    • By River.Bee 5th Apr 17, 11:44 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    River.Bee
    Hi Ellie,
    I've just read through your whole diary (took me a good week or so haha) It's so weird to think that I've just witnessed 6 and a half years of your life all in just one weeks time. It was like reading a book. But I can't believe the inspiration you are to everyone on these boards! It's an immense achievement what you've done! So so so happy for you.

So now that the start of April is here, what's it like to have total control over what you want to do with all of your pay day wages?

Keep us updated with your new lifestyle!
    27/3/2017 - The Beginning of the End
    Credit Card Total Debt: 3462.67 3270
    Pledge to clear (well) before uni graduation: July 2019

5/4/2017 joined DFBXmas17 - 284/1720 16.51%
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 5th Apr 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    Hi Ellie,
    I've just read through your whole diary (took me a good week or so haha) It's so weird to think that I've just witnessed 6 and a half years of your life all in just one weeks time. It was like reading a book. But I can't believe the inspiration you are to everyone on these boards! It's an immense achievement what you've done! So so so happy for you.

So now that the start of April is here, what's it like to have total control over what you want to do with all of your pay day wages?

Keep us updated with your new lifestyle!
    Originally posted by River.Bee

Thank you for your comments River.Bee, I'm just about to update my diary with details of my bank balance lol

Great to see you on the Saving for Christmas thread

Ellie x
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 5th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    I think March 2017 was three times longer than any other month in the last 6+ years... it seemed to go on forever and it was tight moneywise but now it's gone and that's another hurdle passed.

Now for April - I always pay my direct debits for all my bills on the 1st of the month (I get paid on the last day) so by the 2nd I don't normally have a lot left but this month I've got over 1200 after everything is paid and I keep looking at my balance

It's a really strange feeling to have all this money at the moment and I can't quite believe it's mine. I had credit cards and loans for approx. 25-30 years and this is the first time I don't owe any money.

I haven't rushed out and bought anything and I'm still working within my budget (which I will continue to do). I have started putting some money away into a savings account so I might just get to my emergency fund target quite quickly (something I never quite managed whilst on a DMP).

I'm missing my spreadsheets as they were a huge part of my life during the DMP so I've created new ones which show growing balances rather than diminishing ones.

Take care
    Ellie x
    Last edited by Ellieseleven; 05-04-2017 at 4:12 PM.
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
    • River.Bee
    • By River.Bee 5th Apr 17, 8:11 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    River.Bee
    I think March 2017 was three times longer than any other month in the last 6+ years... it seemed to go on forever and it was tight moneywise but now it's gone and that's another hurdle passed.

Now for April - I always pay my direct debits for all my bills on the 1st of the month (I get paid on the last day) so by the 2nd I don't normally have a lot left but this month I've got over 1200 after everything is paid and I keep looking at my balance

It's a really strange feeling to have all this money at the moment and I can't quite believe it's mine. I had credit cards and loans for approx. 25-30 years and this is the first time I don't owe any money.

I haven't rushed out and bought anything and I'm still working within my budget (which I will continue to do). I have started putting some money away into a savings account so I might just get to my emergency fund target quite quickly (something I never quite managed whilst on a DMP).

I'm missing my spreadsheets as they were a huge part of my life during the DMP so I've created new ones which show growing balances rather than diminishing ones.

Take care
    Ellie x
    Originally posted by Ellieseleven
    Yay! I suspect it'll be very alien at first, but I love the fact that you're still commited to budgeting as to never to fall in the debt pit again

I can't wait to be at the same stage as you, watching my money grow each month rather than watching debts fall. I kinda know how you feel about missing the spreadsheets, I can't contemplate my life without debt and planning how much for payments and when they'll go out and how much I'll have left and checking my bank balance everyday etc. etc. I'll have to adjust that organisation habit to savings I guess lol

Well done again Ellie, hope you do have your happy ending and a relaxing retirement eventually

p.s what has your OH have to say about all your hardwork?
    27/3/2017 - The Beginning of the End
    Credit Card Total Debt: 3462.67 3270
    Pledge to clear (well) before uni graduation: July 2019

5/4/2017 joined DFBXmas17 - 284/1720 16.51%
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 5th Apr 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    Hello River.Bee,

Budgeting has been my friend throughout my DMP and it is something I do now without thinking. It's been a harsh lesson but one I'm grateful for and it has taught me so much.

You just need to be determined to beat your debt and you will get there

My OH says it's a remarkable achievement and I should be very proud of myself. He still talks about the debt as though it was all mine and he was just a bystander.

Good luck with your debt busting

Ellie x
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
    • Moneywhizz
    • By Moneywhizz 5th Apr 17, 10:52 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Moneywhizz
    So pleased for you. What an achievement, and so much to look forward to now. That was surely the last time you will be desperate for payday. Now you will have money in savings and the stress of not being able to pay for something is no more. Looking forward to reading your plans for the future.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 6th Apr 17, 7:19 AM
    • 3,629 Posts
    • 20,242 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I hope all is well with you this lovely Spring morning, Ellie. It must feel very sweet waking up each day and knowing you are totally in control of your own money. I'm so happy for you

I totally 'get' how you are with budgeting. I don't 'do' spreadsheets but am an avid notebook and pen gal myself. I used to be the same even when I was more in the debt mire than I am now (pre DMP days I mean) but that was mainly to keep track of where every penny was at any given time as the slightest lapse or miscalculating a payment date would result in extra fees which I just couldn't afford or mean I had no 'real' money (cash) to buy the most basic groceries. I always had to budget strictly but it was to keep the wolf from the door. Reading those notebooks now is so scary. I still get a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I remember how desperate things were. I intend to keep them and when I'm happily debt free I can have a quick reminder of what would happen if I should fall off the wagon again.

My approach is different now as not only am I managing to live on my budget but for the first time in my adult life I am managing to save a little. Obviously it isn't much but it gives me such a boost to know that not every penny is going merely to survive day to day. Once upon a time I used to sell belongings on eBay or at car boot sales just to afford to cover my debts or pay for the groceries. All my good stuff has long gone and I never really 'saw' any of the money. Now I can sell unwanted items and put the proceeds into my little nest egg (towards a 'new to me' car when my ancient one finally goes to the scrapyard in the sky). That feels so good.

I know people say don't save when you have debts but on a DMP where I don't have any interest charges being added and am just paying off the balance I know exactly where I am at any given time. Yes, I'd love to have all the debts gone asap but it's 'only' another 3 years at the most and they will be. If I can negotiate any final settlements with creditors at a good discount a little further down the line I'll pay off any that I can afford. I'd be very worried about using my emergency car savings though as, living in a very rural location with only one bus a week (to the local market) a car is an absolute essential. The only means I would have to pay for one is with the money I've actually got IYKWIM.

I still check my online accounts daily but without any panic nowdays. I agree that budgeting becomes a way of life. I love doing it and can't ever see me not doing it. I only wish I'd done it before I ever got into debt when I had a decent job and money that I could have saved had I wanted to. I haven't a clue where all my money went. A spending diary in my younger days would have been brilliant and my life would have turned out a lot differently I'm sure.

Sorry, Ellie, I've been rambling on and on. I really only popped it to wish you well
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 06-04-2017 at 8:55 AM.
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2017. Jan-Apr: 1240.02. May: 380.96
    3-6 Months Emergency Fund Challenge #12: 1200.00/3000. This is such hard going but I will do it.

Original Debt: 56804 (@ LBM 02/13). Paid : 32316. Balance: 24488
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 6th Apr 17, 6:02 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    So pleased for you. What an achievement, and so much to look forward to now. That was surely the last time you will be desperate for payday. Now you will have money in savings and the stress of not being able to pay for something is no more. Looking forward to reading your plans for the future.
    Originally posted by Moneywhizz
    Hello Moneywhizz,

Yes, hopefully the last time I have to stretch my wages so far. March has been a sharp reminder of how difficult things can be.

It will be a change to look at savings balances instead of debt balances

Ellie x
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 6th Apr 17, 6:16 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    I totally 'get' how you are with budgeting. I don't 'do' spreadsheets but am an avid notebook and pen gal myself. I used to be the same even when I was more in the debt mire than I am now (pre DMP days I mean) but that was mainly to keep track of where every penny was at any given time as the slightest lapse or miscalculating a payment date would result in extra fees which I just couldn't afford or mean I had no 'real' money (cash) to buy the most basic groceries. I always had to budget strictly but it was to keep the wolf from the door. Reading those notebooks now is so scary. I still get a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach when I remember how desperate things were. I intend to keep them and when I'm happily debt free I can have a quick reminder of what would happen if I should fall off the wagon again.

Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Hello CBC,

This made me smile, I have two big notebooks going back to 1996! Looking back I can see how things slowly progressed with us getting deeper and deeper in debt. I used them for the same reason as you, to see where I could rob Peter to pay Paul and his whole family. I've kept those notebooks too and the other day I went back to just before our DMP and totted up how much we were paying out on CC's - it came to over 1300 per month plus a car loan of 300 plus a bank loan of 150 No wonder we struggled! I had about 300 left out of my salary every month to pay the rest of the bills, quite a scary thought now with hindsight

I know people say don't save when you have debts but on a DMP where I don't have any interest charges being added and am just paying off the balance I know exactly where I am at any given time. Yes, I'd love to have all the debts gone asap but it's 'only' another 3 years at the most and they will be

I relate to this too, I always left a little wiggle room in my budget. I knew I could have tightened my belt that bit further but I think it would have made things even harder without the odd treat here and there or that little bit in a savings account. Your time will pass quickly, I don't know where 6 1/2 years have gone and finishing my DMP has coincided with the defaults dropping off my credit file so the timing works quite nicely.

Good to hear from you and keep chipping away at your debt

Take care
    Ellie x
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 7th Apr 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1,804 Posts
    • 11,869 Thanks
    parsniphead
    I'm another who has just read your diary.

Congratulations. You're proof that hard work and determination will win out.

Hopefully many of us will be following in your footsteps soon.
    Pay off debt by Christmas 2017 #22 - 1012.22/7148.39 14%
    I have already lost touch with a couple of people I used to be. Joan Didion
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 7th Apr 17, 10:09 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    I'm another who has just read your diary.

Congratulations. You're proof that hard work and determination will win out.

Hopefully many of us will be following in your footsteps soon.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    You're right parsniphead, it is hard work and determination that will help us all become debt-free.

I wish you well

Ellie x
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 8th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven
    Just tried to logon to SC - now get a message "your plan has ended"
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
    • motivated
    • By motivated 8th Apr 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,262 Posts
    • 1,385 Thanks
    motivated
    Just tried to logon to SC - now get a message "your plan has ended"
    Originally posted by Ellieseleven

One day I will be writing this too (one day)
    • Ellieseleven
    • By Ellieseleven 20th Apr 17, 3:54 PM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    Ellieseleven

One day I will be writing this too (one day)
    Originally posted by motivated

You most definitely will! Keep plugging away and that day will come sooner than you think

Ellie x
    Debt Free 1st March 2017
    EF #142 - 695/1000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

209Posts Today

1,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin