Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    SteveMetal
    DWP Overpayment
    • 12th Jul 10, 9:56 PM
    DWP Overpayment 12th Jul 10 at 9:56 PM
    My wife has received a letter from DWP Debt management about an overpayment for Carer's Allowance which she owes which dates back to January - March 2002.

The letter is asking her to pay back the money immediately and giving her the option to contact them to discuss repayment terms. The letter ends in:
    What happens next
    If we do not hear from you by 03/08/2010 we will consider taking further action to recover this money from you, therefore please do not ignore this letter.

Now I am aware that they cannot take court action to recover this money due to the debt being over 6 years old, and the only way they can get the money is by deducting it from benefits (which she currently does not receive).

I am guessing that going by the wording in the last paragraph they are aware of the fact that they cannot enforce this debt and are hoping she will just pay up.

She is not even convinced that she owe's this money as she thought she had finished claming this benefit back in October 2001, but she is not certain on this.

Are there any template letters which I post off to them requesting information of the dates and payments for which she has supposedly received these overpayments, and also requesting proof that she owes this debt. And due to the age of it would it be worth sending a letter stating the fact that it is over 6 years old and has become unenforceable in law. Again, are there any template letters for this?

I've seen the Statue Barred template letters but i'm guessing that the wording on this letter would not be suitable for the DWP.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,873Posts Today

6,592Users online

Martin's Twitter