Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Cheap driving lessons (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cheap driving lessons
Closed Thread
Views: 2,181
# 1
clkaz
Old 10-07-2010, 12:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Cheap driving lessons

I am looking for driving lessons for next month.

Anyone know about any good deals, offfers on atm?
# 2
anewman
Old 10-07-2010, 3:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

More relevant forums are I wanna buy it or do it - and motoring and public transport. Also see www.2passforum.co.uk

Unfortunately I doubt there are any deals as such, and you may find paying that little more gets you better quality tuition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anewman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Alison_B
Old 10-07-2010, 3:35 PM

If you give the region you live in, people can post offers for you.
# 4
jasmineswhiskers
Old 10-07-2010, 6:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you collect clubcard points you can exchange them for a 4hr BSM lesson package. (£52 in vouchers.)
# 5
sharonwai
Old 10-07-2010, 8:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

http://www.billplant.co.uk/cheap_driving_lessons.html

5 lesson £56

http://www.4wls.co.uk/

10 lesson £99
# 6
den169
Old 10-07-2010, 9:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Bill Plant are crap they learn you very slowly to get as much money as possible out of you,I wish i'd known this before letting my lad use them.He eventually found a good instructor who works on his own,And goes in for his driving test tomorrow.Again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to den169 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
snugglepet20
Old 10-07-2010, 9:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Drive dynamics do 10 hours for £99 after that its about £18-20 an hour depending on what you can negotiate. Don't know if they are near you but my instructor was quite good.
P.S all driving instructors will try to milk more lessons out of you, comes with the territory I'm afraid!
# 8
vraptorchick
Old 11-07-2010, 1:49 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepet20 View Post
Drive dynamics do 10 hours for £99 after that its about £18-20 an hour depending on what you can negotiate. Don't know if they are near you but my instructor was quite good.
P.S all driving instructors will try to milk more lessons out of you, comes with the territory I'm afraid!
Only the cheap and nasty instructors will try to milk you for more lessons - most of us are very professional, but it's the cowboys such as Bill Plant and the others mentioned above that do these ridiculous cheap deals that are a real waste of money.

Any company that offers a driving lesson at less than cost price is desperate, rubbish and is not putting the pupil first. No self respecting instructor will work for less than £20 / hour because it costs a fortune to qualify and keep up to date, and if their instructors are being forced to sell their time for a pittance they are going to have to do so many hours to be able to pay their franchise that they will be too stressed and exhausted to give pupils their full expertise and attention.

Bill Plant lessons arent full hour lessons, on their cheap deal you only get half an hour, and that includes travelling time, and many of the others double up on lessons so that the pupil isnt even getting individual attention for a good portion of the lesson time. I often see instructors parked up during lessons having a cigarette, others go to the shop, eat their lunch and make phone calls / send texts - all at the pupil's expense.

Please do not scrimp on lessons - a good quality instructor will get you through your test and give you the skills to be safe for life in a reasonable amount of time depending on your ability ..... a cheap instructor means you will have to take multiple tests, will only drive on test routes and will not know much of the information you need to be safe and to enjoy your driving once you do pass.

Your best way to find a decent instructor is word of mouth - ask around and find someone recommended by friends / family etc. Also have a look at the SmartLearners website (sorry I cant post the link but it's a co.uk !) - it's an excellent source of information and hints / tips. And good luck :-) !!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vraptorchick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
HandsInTheRuck
Old 11-07-2010, 9:48 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by den169 View Post
Bill Plant are crap they learn you very slowly to get as much money as possible out of you,I wish i'd known this before letting my lad use them.He eventually found a good instructor who works on his own,And goes in for his driving test tomorrow.Again.
My brother learnt with them and they didn't do anything of the sort. You must have had a dodgy instructor. They're a national company so they're not all like that.
# 10
Broken hearted
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Found BSM to do the same. The instructor wasted hours of my time just driving round without learning anything new. He destroyed my confidence by constantly hitting the brake or clutch, in the end I got my money back after many complaints.
Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

# 11
2520years
Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used to be a Driving Instructor.

What I'd advise is you find a local self-employed instructor who's recommended. If you don't know anyone recommended ring three or four and decide by how they spoke to you, not by the price. In the long run you'll save money on lessons if the instructor is trustworthy.

In my opinion most instructors want to be self-employed so they don't have to give a franchise (AA, BSM etc.) a percentage of their takings.

If an instructor isn't successful on his own he will apply at a franchise so that he gets more regular work. This leads to some of the lesser instructors working at franchises. I'm not saying this is the case with every instructor, but I wouldn't recommend paying over the odds when you're not guaranteed a better instructor.

I hope this helps.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2520years For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
lauraland
Old 11-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken hearted View Post
Found BSM to do the same. The instructor wasted hours of my time just driving round without learning anything new. He destroyed my confidence by constantly hitting the brake or clutch, in the end I got my money back after many complaints.
I had the same problem with my first instructor, he constantly had his hand on the steering wheel which was really off-putting, and made me think my steering was terrible (which i now know is actually pretty good). Left him after 10 lessons when he tried to say that my student discount wasnt applicable to single lessons, only block-booking - which was total bull as it clearly stated that on the company website. Didnt feel i could trust him after that so left - and i am so glad i did!

I have now got a fantastic instructor, and i can really see how much of a clown and moneygrabber the last guy was. For example, the first guy wasted 30 mins of each lesson driving to the test centre area for my lesson, with my new instructor i'm in the driving seat from the very start, and i drive to the test centre area, meaning 30 mins of my lessons arent wasted sitting in the passenger seat. Plus my new instructor is taking me to the correct test area, unlike the completely wrong one the last guy was bringing me to!

so yeah, i wouldnt go for the 'cheapest you can find', unless they come highly reccommended, as in the long run you will probably spend alot more than you would if you paid that little bit more for a quality instructor.

If you are in the glasgow area i would be happy to pass on the name of my guy.

oh and good luck with the driving!
I got ham but i'm not a hamster.....

Things that annoy me, No.107: People that replace the word 'Bought' with 'Brought'. It makes NO sense!
# 13
terryw
Old 11-07-2010, 11:50 AM

Oh dear. I sincerely hope that both your instructors and yourself do not think that it is a good idea merely to drive around the area of the test centre.
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
# 14
lauraland
Old 11-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryw View Post
Oh dear. I sincerely hope that both your instructors and yourself do not think that it is a good idea merely to drive around the area of the test centre.
nope, we have been driving all round the city, and a few runs up to nearby loch lomond, but he wants me to get used to the test centre area for obvious reasons.
I got ham but i'm not a hamster.....

Things that annoy me, No.107: People that replace the word 'Bought' with 'Brought'. It makes NO sense!
# 15
wattywattwatt
Old 11-07-2010, 9:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

TO LAURALAND,
Hi there, sorry for butting in on this thread but my son got his provisional licence the other day and now we are trying to find a good instructor on the south side of Glasgow. My daughter had a decent guy a few years ago but haven't been able to contact him so looking for an alternative. Could you give me your guy's name please? Thanks!
# 16
daveyjp
Old 11-07-2010, 9:56 PM

No such thing as cheap driving lessons as there is no limit to the amount of lessons you need - cheap lessons mean more lessons to get the discounted lesson cost back. Far better to pay a good instructor the going rate and pass quicker.

My advice is to have a driving lesson fund of £1500-2000 before starting so you can do two/three lessons a week and never have to cancel because you don't have the money. You'll pass much quicker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveyjp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
2520years
Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As a guide...

The amount of lessons you should have is 1.5 times your age. So if you are 20 years old you should have about 30 lessons, if you are 30 years old you should have about 45 lessons.
# 18
Hammyman
Old 11-07-2010, 11:27 PM
PPR

Another for local self employed. What would you rather have:

A) Someone who decided to do it for a career and invested much time and money?
B) Someone who worked in a factory putting cherries on cakes, saw an ad on the telly for "Make £30k a year and work your own hours", took a crash course and then became a franchisee?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Evilm
Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmineswhiskers View Post
If you collect clubcard points you can exchange them for a 4hr BSM lesson package. (£52 in vouchers.)
considering clubcard vouchers are normally worth 4 times their face value on the deals then this sound like they are charging over £50 an hour?

£180 used to get me 10 hours of training (1 hr free if you paid for a block of 10 in one go, £20 an hour otherwise - although that was about 2 years ago).
# 20
LeeUK
Old 12-07-2010, 12:45 PM

I was glad when I finally passed my test as I was getting board of having the lessons every week. I just don't know how an instructor can spend all day every day sitting in the car going around all the usual places while teaching. It would do my head in after a while.
Lee's No More Kebab Club No.1
Closed Thread