Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Referrers > Quidco - the latest internet scam? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Quidco - the latest internet scam?
Closed Thread
Views: 13,129
# 1
dabhand
Old 05-09-2006, 8:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Quidco - the latest internet scam?

I bet I'm just one of many today who have had their accounts with Quidco terminated.

Could Quidco have just been waiting for Europcar to pull their campaign so that they could make their excuses about 'abuse' and run off with our money? Quidco seem to be suggesting in their 'Account termination' email that Europcar have pulled from their site because of abuse of the program through Quidco. However, Europcar have, in fact, ended their campaign with ALL cashback sites. Very sly Quidco.

I'm absolutely fuming about this.

By the way, this is not the first time Quidco have been aggressive in their approach. There was a post on some Forum (which I wish I had bookmarked!) a while back about how they tried to put TopCashBack out of business when TCB was just starting up. Apparently they contacted all the affiliate networks and said something to the effect that TCB were abusing their affiliate links and that everything was not above board with TCB. Utter nonsense of course, just scared witless of some competition.

Not looking so 'ethical' now, are we Quidco?!

If you're new to cashback sites then avoid Quidco at all costs!

Topcashback.com is actually better anyway, run by decent, honest people. What's more TCB actually keep you informed when you make enquiries about missing cashback.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dabhand For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Graham_Devon
Old 05-09-2006, 8:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

How many clicks for europcar were you doing per day? Honestly?

Not getting the legit money owed to you is a bit harsh, but you may get it yet, when it's been confirmed. WOuld change my perception of them if they took all the money in the account.
# 3
amit_1
Old 05-09-2006, 8:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

same they did to me and i was doing around 3-4 clicks a day
# 4
dabhand
Old 05-09-2006, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just one click a day (honestly!)

My account has been 'terminated', I can't login and so I think it's unlikely I'll see any of the remaining money from other sites (some of which was confirmed, ie. had become payable.)

Waiting for a reply to my 'appeal' email. I'll let you know if anything transpires.
# 5
grex9101
Old 05-09-2006, 9:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to grex9101

hm, there was talk of other sites allowing 2 europcar "daily clicks" per day. thought this would have been ok.
# 6
blueblazer
Old 05-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm shocked by this. Terminating accounts is acceptable but not to give someone the money they have earned is out of order. I only did Europe car 6 or 7 times in the couple of months but it makes you wonder.

What is Highstreetweb suddenly get miffed ? I often click them twice a day. Is that too much ? Will they keep the 170 tracked on my account just because I clicked it a few too many times.

Quidco are still the best but this seems a bit heavyhanded.
# 7
siamesecats
Old 05-09-2006, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

big time avoid QUIDCO at all costs theyve even terminated my account thru europcar.
taking the !!!! they have made alot thru me this month .
topcashback are the tops they dont rip you off
# 8
Pound
Old 05-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

What is europcar?
# 9
grex9101
Old 06-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pound
What is europcar?
a car rental firm who were giving 30p per quote on cahback sites. Seems it was getting abused and some peoples quidco accounts were terminated.
# 10
CharleneUK
Old 06-09-2006, 12:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to CharleneUK

Wow! Never heard of this till now.

I think Quidco can terminate accounts if abuse is taking place, but to keep earned cashback is in bad taste and off putting.
"I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"

Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 2
# 11
Clasics
Old 06-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have to agree. No probs with terminating their accounts, but surely LEGITIMATELY earned cashbcak should still be paid?
I spelt my username wrongly on purpose, by the way!
# 12
grex9101
Old 06-09-2006, 1:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clasics
Have to agree. No probs with terminating their accounts, but surely LEGITIMATELY earned cashbcak should still be paid?
of course it should - Quidco are nothing more than THIEVES if they don't pass on the LEGITIMATE cashback that people earn.

Wonder how it would stand up in court - they are effectively withholding earnings...
# 13
destiny_open
Old 06-09-2006, 1:09 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Firstly i am not a member of Quidco (thankgod). I have just read the quidblog on this subject and would just like to say if Quidco take such a high moral stance as the blog would suggest, how can they justify taking money earnt legitimately I.E. taking out car insurance etc..
Fine don't pay out for Europcar, if you really feel they are not the type of people you wish to use your site then okay terminate their accounts, but do not STEAL money earnt honestly.
For everyone affected i really hope Quidco change their minds and you get the money you are owed.

Last edited by destiny_open; 06-09-2006 at 2:43 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to destiny_open For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
grex9101
Old 06-09-2006, 1:50 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny_open
Firstly i am not a member of Quidco (thankgod). I have just read the quidblog on this subject and would just like to say if Quidco take such a high moral stance as the blog would suggest, how can they justify taking money earnt legitimately I.E. taking out car insurance etc..
Fine don't dont pay out for Europcar, if you really feel they are not the type of people you wish to use your site then okay terminate their accounts, but do not STEAL money earnt honestly.
For everyone affected i really hope Quidco change their minds and you get the money you are owed.
you are 100% correct - by doing this, quidco are theiving money from people. There is no proof whatsoever that they are giving it back, or to charities. Very dishonourable.
# 15
Graham_Devon
Old 06-09-2006, 8:34 AM

Yes, its changed my stance on them, thats for sure, nearly as bad as rpoints now!
# 16
Clasics
Old 06-09-2006, 8:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As some regulars on here will know, I've always been a huge fan of Quidco and have always defended them against the rpoints crowd but this episode has raised doubts in my mind, tbh. I repeat, NOT against the termination of accounts for abuse but the fact that the people who have had their accounts terminated don't look like they will even get cashback that was earned in a completely kosher way. I think we need a response from Quidco on this. In the meantime I'll be looking at Topcashback more closely. A sad day for me to have to say this.
I spelt my username wrongly on purpose, by the way!
# 17
sirboz
Old 06-09-2006, 9:12 AM

I agree they should pass on the other money earnt as that does seem a bit over the top, however clicking europcar lots of times per day when you have not intention whatsoever of hiring a car is surely taking the mickey and asking for trouble ! its obviously not the point of it at all, and I think accounts should be closed, but not passing on monies already earned is a bit out of order !
# 18
bpyoung
Old 06-09-2006, 9:22 AM

This is why you should read the terms and conditions before you sign up:

Quote:
3.1 Fraudulent Transactions
If an account is found to contain transactions gained as a result of fraudulent activity the account may be terminated without notice and any earnings contained will not be paid out to the member. Fraudulent activity will be defined by the relevant merchant. In the event of a merchant claiming fraudulent activity Quidco will communicate an appeal on your behalf, however the merchant decision is final.
Matched betting profit: ~ 30,000 since Jan 2005
Quidco cashback: ~ 3,500 since May 2005
Topcashback: ~ 2,100 since Oct 2005
Rpoints: ~ 600 since June 2004

It's only fraud if you get caught.

I don't offer advice by PM so please post your questions in the appropriate thread.
# 19
Graham_Devon
Old 06-09-2006, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clasics
As some regulars on here will know, I've always been a huge fan of Quidco and have always defended them against the rpoints crowd but this episode has raised doubts in my mind, tbh. I repeat, NOT against the termination of accounts for abuse but the fact that the people who have had their accounts terminated don't look like they will even get cashback that was earned in a completely kosher way. I think we need a response from Quidco on this. In the meantime I'll be looking at Topcashback more closely. A sad day for me to have to say this.
Yep, me and you both. Maybe we should start defending TCB now?! I know it's where I'm heading!!
# 20
payless
Old 06-09-2006, 9:39 AM

I would have thought daily clickers ( especially those that abuse) put cashback sites at risk and use up more resources ... although I can undersand why the sites that take a big cut being prepared to put up with them

In response to thread title, so far ( about £500 in my bank account - none on just click thro's ) I don't think they are a scam . The rule about terminating / withholding seems harsh if the account is used mainly withgin the rules- I hope they will take an individual view
Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.

Last edited by payless; 06-09-2006 at 9:45 AM.
Closed Thread