Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 2nd Feb 05, 12:36 PM
    • 1,431Posts
    • 4,006Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    DIY shoe repair
    • 2nd Feb 05, 12:36 PM
    DIY shoe repair 2nd Feb 05 at 12:36 PM
    I'm pretty sure I recall my grandfather saying that back in the day he repaired all his family's shoes rather than pay a cobbler to do it.

Now I know a good cobbler is a valuable resource, and I do use them for things like putting new leather soles on, but you can do a fair few shoe repairs yourself:

Resoling and heeling - these can be done with kits from Woolworth's that cost about £3-4 including glue. I have even fixed shoes that cobblers said were beyond repair using these kits. They are also great for putting on new leather soles to make them last longer. Make sure you wear the shoes for a few days first however to sufficiently roughen up the soles.

Internal repairs. Keep odd bits of leather from things like old wallets, purses, that you're throwing out. You can glue these to patch up worn areas inside the shoes, esp the bit of lining at the heel that always seems to go.

Make polish go a long way. You can get polish cheaply from pound shops and you only need to use a TINY amount for a good shine - I learned this at school in the army cadet corps. If you use more than about the diameter of a five pence piece then most of it gets wasted on the duster.
Page 2
  • sarzzz
    I would like to know if anyone has any ideas for a pair of shoes where the metal heel is slightly worn down, but the sides of the heel (mock wood type in a slightly chunky heel) have grated on stones etc and so they are peeling. Replacing the heel tip would be OK but the main body of the heel? Help!
    • HuttonFrank
    • By HuttonFrank 20th Oct 10, 11:28 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Shoe repairs: heels, soles, etc.
    jimi2661's posting led me to look in EBay

Home & Garden >Clothing & Shoe Care>Shoe Repair

Then search for heels (in my case)
    I always order my search "lowest price + post and packing"
    I got ladies heels for £2.99 - cut to size.
  • josbd
    Came across this thread quite by accident, whilst looking for info on DIY shoe repairs.

I felt particularly old to read that the earlier poster's grandfather used to mend their shoes!

My father (like most fathers in the 60s) would repair the family's footwear. In his shed he had a "last" with different sized metal *feet*. We were encouraged (made!) to clean our shoes every two days, and I still do the same now. There is a certain amount of satisfaction to be found in producing a real shine to leather shoes.

Our village had a cobbler, as did most, and I still remember the smell of those dark little shops. In the early seventies, we used to save up to buy packs of blakeys and segs from the cobbler. These were metal sole protectors which we (as 13 year old skinheads!) would hammer into the soles of our tassel loafers to make us sound cool when we walked. (Well, we thought so!)

It is a sad thing that cobblers are an increasing rarity. I have had several bad experiences with Timpsons. The most recent of which was being told by a "manager" that they did not put quarter irons in boot heels as "the metal is too heavy"... Whilst I was attempting to regain my composure over this piece of rubbish, he carried on: "we only put them into City type brogues and the like".... Needless to say my composure refused to be regained!

Apologies for the ramblings of an old git!
    • kardaa
    • By kardaa 23rd Oct 15, 11:56 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks

I've always bought the exact woolies ones from eBay and they have prolonged shoe life incredibly. you can get the full set of soltrack soles and heels and they are very easy to apply. The glue and a roughing grater comes with it. I'm sure there are other places to buy but have always been happy with the seller prestigeshoecare-uk. The item i am referring to can be found by searching the bay for 261154800703. Keep repaairing and saving money
    • nhow
    • By nhow 11th Oct 16, 4:58 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Is it possible to attach new soles to existing crepe soles? Anyone ever tried this?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,933Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hmmm not good for #xfactor juke box to land on fright night for the hallowean theme. I suspect it actually isn't a fix, but it looks it!

• RT @LondonMudlark: Just found by eye on the Thames foreshore. Roman coin, beautiful condition. I'm a very happy Mudlark #londonmudlark http?

• RT @NHSMillion: If everyone who thinks the NHS is worth fighting for follows & RTs we'd reach a million in no time & have such a strong col?

• Follow Martin