Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • BlightyAndy
    • 25th Jun 10, 12:02 AM
    • 25th Jun 10, 12:02 AM
    Passbook sleeve?
    Hi, I've already asked and been granted for permission via PM for a Help for Heroes link. Pfft.

As my previous signature said, I support Help for Heroes
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 25th Jun 10, 8:06 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 25th Jun 10, 8:06 AM
    • 25th Jun 10, 8:06 AM
    The only passbook "covers" that any bank or building society issues are cheap plastic wallets. If Northern Rock haven't given you one than you might be able to get something suitable from a stationers, e.g. WH Smith, or Rymans. The cost of posting one to you would be more than the cost of the wallet itself.
  • martinman3
    • 25th Jun 10, 9:00 AM
    • 25th Jun 10, 9:00 AM
    Useless fact for the day.

Northern Rock passbook covers have the opening at the side instead of the top making it easier to insert the passbook.

Everyone will want one now.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 25th Jun 10, 1:04 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 25th Jun 10, 1:04 PM
    • 25th Jun 10, 1:04 PM
    ..Northern Rock passbook covers have the opening at the side instead of the top making it easier to insert the passbook....
    Originally posted by martinman3
    And easier for the passbook to fall out, as well.
  • opinions4u
    • 26th Jun 10, 7:16 AM
    • 26th Jun 10, 7:16 AM
    Rather than worrying about a cover for your passbook, I think you'd be better spending time on researching the rate of interest you are currently getting and what is available elsewhere.

Passbook accounts usually pay you peanuts.

www.moneyfacts.co.uk/savings may help.
  • fairtrade
    • 26th Jun 10, 4:07 PM
    • 26th Jun 10, 4:07 PM
    have passbook covers/protectors
    Originally posted by BlightyAndy
    I use a resealable freezer bag. Waterproof,safe and available from your local supermarket.
    • steady__eddie
    • By steady__eddie 26th Jun 10, 4:51 PM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    steady__eddie
    • 26th Jun 10, 4:51 PM
    • 26th Jun 10, 4:51 PM
    I seem to remember having one of these somewhere, it's in a collection comprising Alliance & Leicester, National & Provincial, Birmingham Midshires, Staffordshire, Lambeth, Portman, Derbyshire, Cheshire, Dunfermline, Chesham, Scarborough and Barnsley.
    If you can hang on a while, I might be let you have a Stroud & Swindon one.
  • BlightyAndy
    • 26th Jun 10, 5:00 PM
    • 26th Jun 10, 5:00 PM
    Rather than worrying about a cover for your passbook, I think you'd be better spending time on researching the rate of interest you are currently getting and what is available elsewhere.

Passbook accounts usually pay you peanuts.

www.moneyfacts.co.uk/savings may help.
    Originally posted by opinions4u
    I did. I haunted for the best passbook account within my area as I find passbooks are better way to save as there's no temptation to transfer money online, or withdraw at an ATM.

I get 1.9% p/a on July 31 - an ISA would be no good either as I like to put money in when I can, plus I am not taxed.
    Last edited by BlightyAndy; 26-06-2010 at 5:03 PM. Reason: Added info
    Hi, I've already asked and been granted for permission via PM for a Help for Heroes link. Pfft.

As my previous signature said, I support Help for Heroes
  • martinman3
    I did. I haunted for the best passbook account within my area as I find passbooks are better way to save as there's no temptation to transfer money online, or withdraw at an ATM.

I get 1.9% p/a on July 31 - an ISA would be no good either as I like to put money in when I can, plus I am not taxed.
    Originally posted by BlightyAndy
    So, I presume that you have a Branch Saver Issue 3.
    Did you consider putting some in the Branch Saver 90 at 2.5% with 90 days notice ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Is it time to ditch your cash ISAs now all savings are about to be tax free? Here's my answer... https://t.co/bzycf0PCjd

• Do you have questions on flight delay compensation? Have you succeeded in getting it? Do let me and @itvMLshow know for this Friday's prog

• Most ovo customers rave about its service. Im sure some will tell you (or may disagree) when I tweet this https://t.co/TwUSgeKVg0

• Follow Martin