Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Holiday cancellation & CC refund?? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Holiday cancellation & CC refund??
Closed Thread
Views: 779
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
sassyblue
Old 21-06-2010, 9:35 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,138
Default Holiday cancellation & CC refund??

Hi all, not sure if this is in the right place please move if not......

We booked a holiday to Center Parcs a few months ago with another couple but we're not due to go until May 2011. The other party want to cancel as they can't afford to go (surprise baby on the way).

We couldn't afford to go without their half, l rang CP at the weekend and asked about downgrading but won't be saving much on the villa price at all.

We took out (their) cancellation insurance at time of booking but it only covers redundancy or inability to go on the holiday through illness, so my question is if we cancel and lose the deposit through CP is this where my credit card insurance would come in?

TIA
Always overpaying on mortgage.

Happy moneysaving all.


sassyblue is offline
Report Post
# 2
ILW
Old 21-06-2010, 9:37 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyblue View Post
Hi all, not sure if this is in the right place please move if not......

We booked a holiday to Center Parcs a few months ago with another couple but we're not due to go until May 2011. The other party want to cancel as they can't afford to go (surprise baby on the way).

We couldn't afford to go without their half, l rang CP at the weekend and asked about downgrading but won't be saving much on the villa price at all.

We took out (their) cancellation insurance at time of booking but it only covers redundancy or inability to go on the holiday through illness, so my question is if we cancel and lose the deposit through CP is this where my credit card insurance would come in?

TIA
Section 75 will only come in to play if the supplier fails to deliver, not if you cancel.
ILW is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to ILW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Typhoon2000
Old 21-06-2010, 9:45 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 546
Default

Section 75 wont cover it. You may have some other form of insurance with your credit card though (eg American Express cover such things upto a certain amount)
Typhoon2000 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Typhoon2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
sassyblue
Old 21-06-2010, 9:51 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,138
Default

Damn! cheers anyway typhoon and ILW.

What to do....
Always overpaying on mortgage.

Happy moneysaving all.


sassyblue is offline
Report Post
# 5
goggle
Old 21-06-2010, 10:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 345
Default

you want to cancel for non-emergency reaosns, you lose your deposit - that's the way of life ...
goggle is offline
Report Post
# 6
sassyblue
Old 21-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggle View Post
you want to cancel for non-emergency reaosns, you lose your deposit - that's the way of life ...
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but it's never happened to me before and l've never had to claim on credit card insurance wise so l wouldn't know, hence my question.
Always overpaying on mortgage.

Happy moneysaving all.


sassyblue is offline
Report Post
# 7
Fiddlestick
Old 21-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyblue View Post
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but it's never happened to me before and l've never had to claim on credit card insurance wise so l wouldn't know, hence my question.
As stated by another poster, this protection is only there to cover you against a failure to deliver on the part of the supplier.

If Center Parcs went bust and could not deliver the holiday, you would have a valid reason to claim, but since you are voluntarily canceling the trip then you do not.
Fiddlestick is offline
Report Post
# 8
Desperado99
Old 21-06-2010, 4:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,018
Default

How about finding someone else to take their place. We had the same thing happen a few years ago and ended up going with my parents instead.
Desperado99 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Desperado99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
ILW
Old 21-06-2010, 5:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunting View Post
How about finding someone else to take their place. We had the same thing happen a few years ago and ended up going with my parents instead.
Do you think the OP would want to go on holiday with your parents?
ILW is offline
Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ILW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Desperado99
Old 21-06-2010, 7:01 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Do you think the OP would want to go on holiday with your parents?
It would certainly help me out!
Desperado99 is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desperado99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Debras Angel
Old 22-06-2010, 3:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 608
Default

Oh that made me chuckle ILW!
Debras Angel is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Debras Angel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
lisyloo
Old 22-06-2010, 3:50 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,640
Default

Morally I think the other couple should pay your costs (deposit).
You had an agreement with them and they pulled out.
Obviously it's difficult, but really they should offer if they are real friends.

Could you find someone else to go with?
lisyloo is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:41 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 27 August 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 88
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.