Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sassyblue
    • By sassyblue 21st Jun 10, 9:35 AM
    • 3,198Posts
    • 8,094Thanks
    sassyblue
    Holiday cancellation & CC refund??
    • 21st Jun 10, 9:35 AM
    Holiday cancellation & CC refund?? 21st Jun 10 at 9:35 AM
    Hi all, not sure if this is in the right place please move if not......

We booked a holiday to Center Parcs a few months ago with another couple but we're not due to go until May 2011. The other party want to cancel as they can't afford to go (surprise baby on the way).

We couldn't afford to go without their half, l rang CP at the weekend and asked about downgrading but won't be saving much on the villa price at all.

We took out (their) cancellation insurance at time of booking but it only covers redundancy or inability to go on the holiday through illness, so my question is if we cancel and lose the deposit through CP is this where my credit card insurance would come in?

TIA
    Always overpaying on mortgage.

Happy moneysaving all.

Page 1
  • ILW
    • 21st Jun 10, 9:37 AM
    • 21st Jun 10, 9:37 AM
    Hi all, not sure if this is in the right place please move if not......

We booked a holiday to Center Parcs a few months ago with another couple but we're not due to go until May 2011. The other party want to cancel as they can't afford to go (surprise baby on the way).

We couldn't afford to go without their half, l rang CP at the weekend and asked about downgrading but won't be saving much on the villa price at all.

We took out (their) cancellation insurance at time of booking but it only covers redundancy or inability to go on the holiday through illness, so my question is if we cancel and lose the deposit through CP is this where my credit card insurance would come in?

TIA
    Originally posted by sassyblue
    Section 75 will only come in to play if the supplier fails to deliver, not if you cancel.
    • Typhoon2000
    • By Typhoon2000 21st Jun 10, 9:45 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    Typhoon2000
    • 21st Jun 10, 9:45 AM
    • 21st Jun 10, 9:45 AM
    Section 75 wont cover it. You may have some other form of insurance with your credit card though (eg American Express cover such things upto a certain amount)
    • sassyblue
    • By sassyblue 21st Jun 10, 9:51 AM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 8,094 Thanks
    sassyblue
    • 21st Jun 10, 9:51 AM
    • 21st Jun 10, 9:51 AM
    Damn! cheers anyway typhoon and ILW.

What to do....

Happy moneysaving all.

• goggle
    • 21st Jun 10, 10:02 AM
    • 21st Jun 10, 10:02 AM
    you want to cancel for non-emergency reaosns, you lose your deposit - that's the way of life ...
    • sassyblue
    • By sassyblue 21st Jun 10, 10:13 AM
    • 3,198 Posts
    • 8,094 Thanks
    sassyblue
    • 21st Jun 10, 10:13 AM
    • 21st Jun 10, 10:13 AM
    you want to cancel for non-emergency reaosns, you lose your deposit - that's the way of life ...
    Originally posted by goggle
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but it's never happened to me before and l've never had to claim on credit card insurance wise so l wouldn't know, hence my question.

Happy moneysaving all.

• Fiddlestick
    • 21st Jun 10, 11:05 AM
    • 21st Jun 10, 11:05 AM
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but it's never happened to me before and l've never had to claim on credit card insurance wise so l wouldn't know, hence my question.
    Originally posted by sassyblue
    As stated by another poster, this protection is only there to cover you against a failure to deliver on the part of the supplier.

If Center Parcs went bust and could not deliver the holiday, you would have a valid reason to claim, but since you are voluntarily canceling the trip then you do not.
    • Desperado99
    • By Desperado99 21st Jun 10, 4:40 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,674 Thanks
    Desperado99
    • 21st Jun 10, 4:40 PM
    • 21st Jun 10, 4:40 PM
    How about finding someone else to take their place. We had the same thing happen a few years ago and ended up going with my parents instead.
  • ILW
    • 21st Jun 10, 5:00 PM
    • 21st Jun 10, 5:00 PM
    How about finding someone else to take their place. We had the same thing happen a few years ago and ended up going with my parents instead.
    Originally posted by Bunting
    Do you think the OP would want to go on holiday with your parents?
    • Desperado99
    • By Desperado99 21st Jun 10, 7:01 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 4,674 Thanks
    Desperado99
    Do you think the OP would want to go on holiday with your parents?
    It would certainly help me out!
    • Debras Angel
    • By Debras Angel 22nd Jun 10, 3:24 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Debras Angel
    Oh that made me chuckle ILW!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 22nd Jun 10, 3:50 PM
    • 20,542 Posts
    • 9,654 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Morally I think the other couple should pay your costs (deposit).
    You had an agreement with them and they pulled out.
    Obviously it's difficult, but really they should offer if they are real friends.

Could you find someone else to go with?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,446Posts Today

5,666Users online

Martin's Twitter