Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 38
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 25th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    It's a policy I have packaged with a Nationwide Flexplus bank account. Up to the age of 75 and subject to medical conditions etc.they consider up to 180 days on request and payment of the appropriate additional premium. Underwritten by UK Insurance PLC.
    Originally posted by harz99
    I remember enquiring with them a few years ago. Didn't remember the up to 180 day bit. Though probably overall it didn't make sense for me to change at the time.
    • koru
    • By koru 26th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    koru
    This also causes me concerns and has stopped me ever booking a trip for after the current policy expires. Let's look at a possible example: My current annual policy for Europe is valid until next February. I book a trip now for next April. Just as my renewal date approaches, a GP decides that I need a hospital referral for tests with a 6 week waiting list. I am not expecting it to be anything which would prevent me going on holiday but my current insurer refuses to renew because I have pending tests/unconfirmed diagnosis. I therefore have no cover in case of any further illness before departure.
    I don't have an issue with length of trips as in the previous question as mine are all 2 weeks or under.
    Originally posted by katejo
    This was a concern I had, last time my annual policy rolled over. I think this is a major drawback of annual policies, so I've decided to go for single trip policies from now on. You also need to make sure that the policy does not require disclosure of any new medical problems that arise after you buy the policy and book the trip, otherwise there's a risk they just refuse to cover the new condition or demand an extra premium, even though it might be something not serious enough to make you want to cancel the holiday.
    koru
    • Chordeiles
    • By Chordeiles 26th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Chordeiles
    I wonder what would happen if you went on holiday on a ONE WAY ticket
    Originally posted by littlefred
    I think with LV= you'd be covered, wording of policy as follows: "any trip that is booked to last longer than 90 days is not covered on the Premier policy". Thus if you have no return ticket it's not actually booked for more than 90 days (30 days applies on cheaper policy). But best to check with them, of course !
    We have annual travel insurance with Staysure .... our policy does not cover us anyway because journey does not start in UK.
    Originally posted by Garykm
    Can't find a similar clause in my LV= poilicy. Looks like holidays within holidays are included - but again best to check with them.

No, I'm not associated with LV= in any way, indeed I've fallen out with them in the past. But I have to say they are pretty good generally.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 26th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    katejo
    This was a concern I had, last time my annual policy rolled over. I think this is a major drawback of annual policies, so I've decided to go for single trip policies from now on. You also need to make sure that the policy does not require disclosure of any new medical problems that arise after you buy the policy and book the trip, otherwise there's a risk they just refuse to cover the new condition or demand an extra premium, even though it might be something not serious enough to make you want to cancel the holiday.
    Originally posted by koru
    I am aware of the need to declare new conditions and had to do it 18 months ago. It didn't cause any problem. They maintained cover for the already booked holiday but said the premium would increase if I booked another trip (which I didn't do).
    • yellowsunmandy
    • By yellowsunmandy 29th Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    yellowsunmandy
    Re: Leisure Guard Lite - watch out for the sports cover....they don't even cover swimming in the sea! You have to pay extra for every person, also for snorkelling, inshore sea kayaking and surfing!! This made the premium ridiculously expensive for our family, just going on a seaside holiday. Used Axa instead
    • clarker
    • By clarker 17th Aug 17, 12:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clarker
    People with pre-existing medical conditions - try Insurancewith Travel Insurance
    In our experience, Travel Insurance with pre-existing medical conditions can be incredibly expensive but it's worth tring the company Insurancewith as they seem relatively very competitive
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
    • beth95
    • By beth95 20th Sep 17, 5:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beth95
    Hi. Could someone give me the best advice for backpacker travel insurance please - i am visiting more than one country (excluding USA etc) and need it for a year probably.
    Thanks
    • FlowerBob
    • By FlowerBob 25th Sep 17, 12:28 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    FlowerBob
    Trip more than a year away
    Hello all,

Apologies if this is a very newbie question; we usually holiday in the UK in a hired cottage and don't bother to take out insurance.

Next December we want to go away to celebrate a special anniversary. We have found a trip that we really like from a company with good reviews, and are ready to book to secure the trip we want (and the current price).

I realise that we ought to take out insurance now, in case anything happens that means we can't travel. However, the holiday is more than a year away.

Can anyone explain to me how this works?

If I take out a single trip policy, I guess I have to give the dates of the holiday, and we are covered from now until the holiday is finished?

If I take out an annual policy (which I am considering as my brother is moving to the Netherlands next year so we will probably go and visit him there), will we need to hold the policy for 2 years to be covered for our big trip?

We are going to Lapland, not leaving Europe, so I hope it will not be too expensive either way - but as everything is online now I don't know where to ask exactly what our options are.

Many thanks!
    Robin
    • koru
    • By koru 25th Sep 17, 2:12 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    koru
    If I take out a single trip policy, I guess I have to give the dates of the holiday, and we are covered from now until the holiday is finished?

If I take out an annual policy (which I am considering as my brother is moving to the Netherlands next year so we will probably go and visit him there), will we need to hold the policy for 2 years to be covered for our big trip?
    Originally posted by FlowerBob
    Yes, to both.
    koru
    • peewhyeff
    • By peewhyeff 30th Sep 17, 11:21 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    peewhyeff
    UK cover
    Booking 5 day hol by coach.....standard break 5 days at same hotel with coach travel included. Coach company sell insurance costing over £30. With Nhs providing medical treatment it seems very expensive. I know that luggage and cancellation are a consideration but don't know where to look. Has anyone else taken out UK cover for a coach holiday ? Would the more usual European travel cover this? I am under 65 and have no medical conditions.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 30th Sep 17, 11:40 PM
    • 7,940 Posts
    • 8,058 Thanks
    pogofish
    Booking 5 day hol by coach.....
    Originally posted by peewhyeff
    Err....?

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the updated

Travel Insurance guide.
    I don't see what this has got to do with the thread or article?
    • peewhyeff
    • By peewhyeff 1st Oct 17, 7:59 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 929 Thanks
    peewhyeff
    Err....?

I don't see what this has got to do with the thread or article?
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Sorry, new to this area of the website and perhaps I've posted my enquiry in the wrong place. .....would someone be able to move this somewhere more appropriate?
    • koru
    • By koru 1st Oct 17, 12:39 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    koru
    Coach company sell insurance costing over £30. With Nhs providing medical treatment it seems very expensive. I know that luggage and cancellation are a consideration but don't know where to look. Has anyone else taken out UK cover for a coach holiday ? Would the more usual European travel cover this? I am under 65 and have no medical conditions.
    Originally posted by peewhyeff
    As you are asking about travel insurance, it seems relevant for this thread.

I agree with you that £30 seems a lot for travel insurance for 5 days hol in the UK. You don't need medical cover, so it is really just cover for lost luggage and maybe cancellation. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

But if you do want cover, you can get it for a UK trip for a few pounds. Try a search here: https://www.comparethemarket.com/travel-insurance/single-trip/
    koru
    • yoghurt
    • By yoghurt 3rd Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    yoghurt
    Japan insurance
    Hello
    Please can you someone recommend a policy which covers a 2 week family holiday to Japan from 16th December 2017 which includes cover if the foreign office declares it is not safe to visit (or is that something normally covered anyway)?

Many thanks
    • koru
    • By koru 3rd Oct 17, 5:16 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    koru
    Hello
    Please can you someone recommend a policy which covers a 2 week family holiday to Japan from 16th December 2017 which includes cover if the foreign office declares it is not safe to visit (or is that something normally covered anyway)?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by yoghurt
    LV Premier would seem to cover cancellation due to FCO advice. They also cover airlines going bust (Monarch) and cancelling flights (Ryan). They are not cheap, but they seem to be good cover.

Edit: I notice they say "We won’t cover you for any claim that is caused by or is in any way related to ...war..." So if the FCO advice was in relation to the risk of KJU declaring war against Japan, would this be "related to war" and thus not covered? I would check.
    Last edited by koru; 03-10-2017 at 5:38 PM.
    koru
    • yoghurt
    • By yoghurt 16th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    yoghurt
    Many thanks Koru

I had a look and under the section "if you need to cancel
    your trip before you travel" it says

Cover for trip expenses youíve paid but havenít used and
    canít get back from anywhere else if you need to cancel
    your trip because:
    Ė you, a relative, someone youíre going to stay with or
    have booked to travel with, dies, is seriously ill
    or seriously injured
    Ė the FCO advises against travel to your planned
    destination
    So I think it is covered if the FCO warns against travel and we cancel the holiday before we go (and its currently ok by them when we take out cover)
    • justinf1967
    • By justinf1967 5th Dec 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    justinf1967
    E signature for Travel Insurance Claims??
    Can anyone advise

Just had a "banging head against wall" phone conversation with an insurer claims department

I registered and submitted a claim under a Coverwise travel insurance policy which is processed by AXA Insurance. The policy was purchased on line and paid for online with all the details of my family and payment typed in as requested.

Following an event on holiday I, i needed to start a claims process. I submitted all the required claim information including PDF of quotations and paperwork and confirmed my details as per the original policy - printing my name on the claim form.

The claims handler then took 10 days to come back andsay that I hadn't physically signed the form and I quote "Please note that your disclaimer form should be signed handwritten. Kindly do needful"????

I asked the to confirm why they need a copy of a signature which they have never seen - when the policy was bought remotely and all information has been provided. The only answer given was that was their process and I must sign the form.

Commercially, electronic forms and emails are used to authorize contracts/agreements - Is there any legal reason why a physical signature must be applied to an insurance claim form?
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 5th Dec 17, 11:21 PM
    • 24,259 Posts
    • 11,538 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Can anyone advise

Just had a "banging head against wall" phone conversation with an insurer claims department

I registered and submitted a claim under a Coverwise travel insurance policy which is processed by AXA Insurance. The policy was purchased on line and paid for online with all the details of my family and payment typed in as requested.

Following an event on holiday I, i needed to start a claims process. I submitted all the required claim information including PDF of quotations and paperwork and confirmed my details as per the original policy - printing my name on the claim form.

The claims handler then took 10 days to come back andsay that I hadn't physically signed the form and I quote "Please note that your disclaimer form should be signed handwritten. Kindly do needful"????

I asked the to confirm why they need a copy of a signature which they have never seen - when the policy was bought remotely and all information has been provided. The only answer given was that was their process and I must sign the form.

Commercially, electronic forms and emails are used to authorize contracts/agreements - Is there any legal reason why a physical signature must be applied to an insurance claim form?
    Originally posted by justinf1967
    i don't think there is but then again its not illegal to ask.
    Somewhere in the terms and conditions I'm sure they will point this out to you.
    Why not do what they ask to get your claim moving?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • adindas
    • By adindas 6th Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    adindas
    International Travel Insurance and Section 75
    If you buy a ticket or holiday package, it is a common practice that the travel agents / operator is adding 2% if the ticket paid by Credit Card but free of charge for payment by DD. So a ticket/holiday package of 1500 (say), it will be an additional of £30.

If you already have a Nationwide Flex insurance which Cover EU + Extended worldwide cover for outside EU coverage, is the S75 still needed considering there is already quite comprehensive travel insurance ??

Any comment on this will be very much appreciated.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 7th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    katejo
    I am not familiar with Nationwide Flex but I would always pay for at least part of a holiday with a credit card. You can avoid the full CC fee by just paying for part of it by credit card and the rest by debit card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,051Posts Today

6,941Users online

Martin's Twitter