Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Selling Home Made Bath Bombs (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Selling Home Made Bath Bombs
Closed Thread
Views: 5,559
# 1
nataliekara123
Old 15-06-2010, 12:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Selling Home Made Bath Bombs

Hello, i have been making home made bath bombs for a while now and wondered how i would go about selling them. Do i need any special insurance incase any one is allergic?? Also i am worried abotu them staining peoples baths etc. Maybe i should give up!!
Freemans = £450, Alliance & Leicester Overdraft £275.00, Vanquis Credit card = £850 Second job = £200 per month.
# 2
Mrs Money
Old 15-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliekara123 View Post
Hello, i have been making home made bath bombs for a while now and wondered how i would go about selling them. Do i need any special insurance incase any one is allergic?? Also i am worried abotu them staining peoples baths etc. Maybe i should give up!!
Well, I've never used them, but they seem to be popular. Have you tried them in your bath/ or friends' and relatives'- if you've tested them and they don't stain you should be okay- but where did your recipe come from? If you state the ingredients on the label and say something like "Do not use if you are allergic to..." then I suppose it may be okay - I think there are other people on here making similar things - so someone more knowledgeable than me may be along in a while to offer more advice!
good Luck with it anyway - sounds great - if you package them attractively I think they'd be a hit with people especially for gifts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Money For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
goonerAFC
Old 15-06-2010, 1:42 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert

Im interested. Id happily help you sell them. Send me a PM
# 4
carolbe
Old 16-06-2010, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hiya!

By law, you need to have cosmetic products (which includes bath bombs) safety assessed. This basically involves you describing your recipe and manufacturing process to a cosmetic chemist, who then gives you an assessment document confirming the ingredients you can use and the amount you can safely use per batch.

You also need to keep a product information file (PIF), which has details of all your ingredients, suppliers, batch numbers/details etc.

Each product you produce has to be correctly labelled with a trading address, batch number and ingredients (using correct INCI names and % quantities where required).

You should also have product liability insurance, and public liability insurance if you plan to sell at craft fairs etc.

Here are a few links about safety assessments:
http://www.cosmeticsafetyassessment....1_4_Craft-Soap
http://www.gracefruit.com/safety-assessments/
http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/safe...ent_advice.htm

And some links about insurance:
http://www.craftinsurance.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.gcstm.co.uk/insurance.html

HTH! I used to make & sell soaps and found the paperwork was by far the most time consuming (and tedious!) part!
The Following User Says Thank You to carolbe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
nataliekara123
Old 17-06-2010, 2:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the info guys thats great
Freemans = £450, Alliance & Leicester Overdraft £275.00, Vanquis Credit card = £850 Second job = £200 per month.
# 6
nataliekara123
Old 17-06-2010, 2:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Gooner, what do you want to know?
Closed Thread