rice pudding in slow cooker

I put a rice pud in the slow cooker this morning at 10am (used boiling milk) and it is still not ready. Used a recipe for standard measurements and checked it with another recipe ( 100g rice to 1 litre milk) its been in now for over 7 hours and I took a sneaky peek its very liquidy, do you think I put too much milk in? I daren't keep looking at it so I thought if I leave it till about 9pm it might be cooked. I have it on high now (was on auto) thanks in anticipation :)
:)

Comments

• V.Lucky
    V.Lucky Posts: 806 Forumite
    I did the coconut rice recipe on another thread and it only took 4 hours to cook. Have you tried stirrring it? With mine the rice kept on sticking to the bottom of the pot, and when I stirred it it soon thickened up. Cooked much quicker than I thought and I did mine on low.
    :hello:
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    This is taking forever and the pot is hot too. I have stirred it and put 2 tspns of custard powder in it to thicken it up. I wonder what the prob is?
  • V.Lucky
    V.Lucky Posts: 806 Forumite
    Sorry no idea. Maybe someone else can help?
    :hello:
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Have you tasted it to see if the rice is tender? It may be that there was just too much liquid for the rice to absorb. When I do rice pudding in my slow cooker it takes about 3 hours on low. HTH
  • liz.._4
    Just had it and I think the rice was passed its barf by date. Seemed a bit hard and lots of liquid. Never mind, I've chucked the lot and got a bacon joint in there at the mo ready for tomorrow. I hope its not the slow cooker itself thats the problem. Seems to take ages to cook but it is very hot to touch...
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    I also only cook it on the warm setting, put mine on this morning at 9`oclock, and it was ready by 2pm.
    I switched it off, and then turned it back on at 7pm and kids have just had it before they went to bed.
    I put 4 pints of cold milk( infact i made up powdered milk today,tasted great,And cheaper than fresh!) to half a small pack of pudding rice, 3 large spoons full of sugar, some nutmeg and mixed spice in.Dont mix it at all until its time to searve up.
    Sounds alot but have 4 kids and myself and hubby to feed, a one bowl is never enough, we love rice pud done in the slow cooker.
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I use just under a pint of milk to a glass ramkin of rice. Never had any problems and I only cook if for about 2-3 hours max on high.

Umm might make one tomorrow not had it all summer.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • liz.._4
    must have been the rice itself then, got a bit of a 'lead weight' feeling at the mo. I don't think it was that out of date but I've binned it all anyway. Thanks guys for the tips, you're all great..
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just a thought but you did use short grain pudding rice?
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • liz.._4
    ariba10 wrote:
    Just a thought but you did use short grain pudding rice?
    It was pud rice but thanks for the suggestion. I think I know what it is nom, I don't think the sc is working properly so I have decided to get a new one. Maybe it was in the shed too long.
    Thanks everyone for being so kind...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family