Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Savings & Investments > Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on... (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on up to 50k savings (up to 35 only)
Views: 86,916
# 41
N1AK
Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkingkong View Post
@ 100pcm it'd be just over 4 years before you hit the 50k limit. Guess it depends on when people want to use the cash.
Exactly

Chances are you'll be able to get 5% somewhere else in 3+ years, or at least close. I don't think many people are expecting to see interest rates stay this low into the middle to the decade.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 42
Essex123
Old 10-11-2010, 10:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
@ 100pcm it'd be just over 4 years before you hit the 50k limit. Guess it depends on when people want to use the cash.
In this example, you will actually hit 50k on the second anniversary/interest payment date:

45k initial investment
2.4k monthly payments
1.8k interest year one (assuming 20% tax)
1.9k interest year two (assuming 20% tax)

Total 51.1k

I think this strategy is good - after all, who knows what the savings market will look like in two years.

In any event, who knows whether Santander will actually take action once the 50k limit is reached...
# 43
donkingkong
Old 11-11-2010, 8:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex123 View Post
In this example, you will actually hit 50k on the second anniversary/interest payment date:

45k initial investment
2.4k monthly payments
1.8k interest year one (assuming 20% tax)
1.9k interest year two (assuming 20% tax)

Total 51.1k

I think this strategy is good - after all, who knows what the savings market will look like in two years.

In any event, who knows whether Santander will actually take action once the 50k limit is reached...
Does the annual account interest definitely count towards the account balance or can you have interest paid into another account?
# 44
TheJimster
Old 13-11-2010, 12:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by housesitter View Post
TheJimster: is your account still alive and well ?
Yes - my account is still alive and well and paying 5% at >40k. Santander's official line is they 'may' close your account if you overpay. But for once their own incompetence works agaisnt them.

For the worriers suggesting you'll only get 0.1% - that is for the month of the overpayment only. The account terms say after that month you're back to the usual rate.

I can't believe this loophole isn't all over the internets. 5% is as good as it gets in this climate.
# 45
TheJimster
Old 13-11-2010, 12:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveika View Post
Can I ask how can you pay in 40k without the bank even noticing that? By cheque? Thanks.
You can do a BACS transfer once you have the account payment details. Then a week later go in to a Santander branch and ask for an account balance print out to confirm the money has landed safely.
# 46
Boseley
Old 19-11-2010, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down That wont work....

Hi guys,
Just to let you know, this idea does not work, yes, after speaking to a sales rep, you could dump a huge wad of money in, however, you only actually gain money on the amount you put in each month, so 300 max, you do not gain interest on the total account balance. Therefore that money will accumulate no interest what so ever. All you will achieve is no interest on any of the money at all for that month.
# 47
Psychonaut
Old 19-11-2010, 2:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Boseley, are you saying that nobody is earning any interest on their initial (up to) 5000-pound deposit as well?
# 48
owains
Old 20-11-2010, 6:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boseley View Post
Hi guys,
Just to let you know, this idea does not work, yes, after speaking to a sales rep, you could dump a huge wad of money in, however, you only actually gain money on the amount you put in each month, so 300 max, you do not gain interest on the total account balance. Therefore that money will accumulate no interest what so ever. All you will achieve is no interest on any of the money at all for that month.
Wow... can anyone else confirm this? I have deposited an additional 5,000 in my account, which would mean a significant loss in terms of potential interest. I'm sure someone deposited 40,000... they could be in for quite a shock!
# 49
rb10
Old 20-11-2010, 8:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Hi guys,
Rubbish, it just shows the lack of knowledge of many bank staff.

Either:

(1) They accept the deposit and pay you 5% on the whole balance; or
(2) They close the account.

From people's experiences in this thread, it looks as though they tend to do (1).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rb10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
gsmmad
Old 20-11-2010, 11:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

rb10 is 100% correct......

you get 5% on the whole balance.....
The Following User Says Thank You to gsmmad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
Irie87
Old 21-11-2010, 9:52 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Taken from their website (can't post links yet!):

"You will receive a lower rate of 0.10% gross/AER when you pay in under 100 or over 300 in any calendar month, but for that month only" so if you put in a large lump sum other than the initial start up amount, you will experience a 1 month drop in interest.

"Interest is calculated on the daily balance of the account, and is paid annually on the anniversary of account opening" not just the amount you paid in.
# 52
Boseley
Old 30-11-2010, 12:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sorry Guys

I spoke to 3 managers whilst being passed through different people and the end verdict is that yes you get interest on your initial deposit, but it is a one off, you deposit 5000 you get 5% on that back, for that month, after that, you only gain interest on the amount put into the account. Max of 300 a month, you do not get 5% on everything you put in there every month added with your total (so far). They confirmed this is in conditions many times over for me.

Also when i asked what would happen if i over deposited one month, they said it would just sit in the account, and earn no interest, just like the deposit after the first month.

Last edited by Boseley; 30-11-2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Addition
# 53
Boseley
Old 30-11-2010, 12:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmmad View Post
rb10 is 100% correct......

you get 5% on the whole balance.....
How do you know this? Have you actually had the interest paid at the end of the year on all of it, reoccurring each month?
# 54
finder
Old 30-11-2010, 3:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
I spoke to 3 managers whilst being passed through different people and the end verdict is that yes you get interest on your initial deposit, but it is a one off, you deposit 5000 you get 5% on that back, for that month, after that, you only gain interest on the amount put into the account. Max of 300 a month, you do not get 5% on everything you put in there every month added with your total (so far). They confirmed this is in conditions many times over for me.

Also when i asked what would happen if i over deposited one month, they said it would just sit in the account, and earn no interest, just like the deposit after the first month.
Boosely, I am sorry to disagree with you on this as well, but you are assuming 'your chat with a bank manager' as being equivalent to the written terms and conditions of the account. Obviously, that is miles, miles away from reality. Summary of the terms and conditions here; if you skim through them you won't be able to verify those 3 managers' account of the T&C's (assuming that they have even read the terms and conditions themselves!)

You are given a couple of pages of terms and conditions when you open the account. The additional piece of information to that on the webpage is that they say that they 'reserve their right to close your account if you overpay'. Obviously, if they don't and as previous posters have rightly stated, they will pay 0.10% for the month when you overpay, but will have to pay 5% thereafter as per their own terms and conditions. I can only picture very, very creative minds to come up with a different interpretation of what it's written!

So, I would suggest that next time you talk to one of those 'knowledgeable managers' you ask them to please print out a copy of the T&C's and pinpoint you to the exact line that backs up their claims! That will be the end of the discussion.

Regards

Last edited by finder; 30-11-2010 at 3:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to finder For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
Boseley
Old 30-11-2010, 10:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Angry ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by finder View Post
Boosely, I am sorry to disagree with you on this as well, but you are assuming 'your chat with a bank manager' as being equivalent to the written terms and conditions of the account. Obviously, that is miles, miles away from reality. Summary of the terms and conditions here; if you skim through them you won't be able to verify those 3 managers' account of the T&C's (assuming that they have even read the terms and conditions themselves!)

You are given a couple of pages of terms and conditions when you open the account. The additional piece of information to that on the webpage is that they say that they 'reserve their right to close your account if you overpay'. Obviously, if they don't and as previous posters have rightly stated, they will pay 0.10% for the month when you overpay, but will have to pay 5% thereafter as per their own terms and conditions. I can only picture very, very creative minds to come up with a different interpretation of what it's written!

So, I would suggest that next time you talk to one of those 'knowledgeable managers' you ask them to please print out a copy of the T&C's and pinpoint you to the exact line that backs up their claims! That will be the end of the discussion.

Regards
As much as i would love to agree with you there, not one single person in this thread has proven otherwise, nor has any Santander employee stated that these assumptions are correct. If you have studied the T&Cs then where in the T&Cs does it actually state that you will receive 5% on the whole account balance, the answer - It Doesn't. All it states is 5% on payment, nothing about whole balances. You do not have a case with them if they do not pay it any you say "It does not say in the T&Cs that you won't get it on the whole balance." Because they will simply say "Where does it state in the T&Cs that you do?".

Unless you can get someone who actually opens the account and created it etc to say that you are correct, as someone has done above, you may put in 40,000 for a whole year and then receive absolutely no interest, big risk for something that you can not prove and you will never know till you close the account......

Kind Regards,
Boseley

# 56
Ibliss
Old 30-11-2010, 11:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

From the Santander website:

First Home Saver (Special Issue 1) rates below are variable

Tier - 100 - 50,000 | Gross p.a./AER - 5.00%

..and...

"Interest is calculated on the daily balance of the account, and is paid annually on the anniversary of account opening. For example, if you saved 100 per month for 12 months, you will get back your deposits totaling 1,200 (12 x 100), and will have received in total approximately 32.50 gross interest during the year (provided no withdrawals are made during the year)."

So they have said that you get 5% on balances between 100 and 50K and this interest calculation is based on the daily balance. Seems fairly clear to me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ibliss For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
Boseley
Old 01-12-2010, 12:03 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibliss View Post
From the Santander website:

First Home Saver (Special Issue 1) rates below are variable

Tier - 100 - 50,000 | Gross p.a./AER - 5.00%

..and...

"Interest is calculated on the daily balance of the account, and is paid annually on the anniversary of account opening. For example, if you saved 100 per month for 12 months, you will get back your deposits totaling 1,200 (12 x 100), and will have received in total approximately 32.50 gross interest during the year (provided no withdrawals are made during the year)."

So they have said that you get 5% on balances between 100 and 50K and this interest calculation is based on the daily balance. Seems fairly clear to me.
:O I retract what i said! I did not see that bit in the documents they sent me by post but i can see it on the website! Even though it contradicts everything the people on the phone said i apologise that seems a lot clearer.

One question though, how can 32.50 be the interest from 1200? 5% works out at 60. 5 a month?

I hope this is all correct and that you can do this, because it is a lot to risk!
# 58
Ibliss
Old 02-12-2010, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi,

It's 5 when you have 1200 in the account, but this is only for the final month. In your first month you would get 5% on 100, then 5% on 200 in the second month etc. I would look like this:

month 1 100 - 0.42
month 2 200 - 0.83
month 3 300 - 1.25
month 4 400 - 1.67
month 5 500 - 2.08
month 6 600 - 2.50
month 7 700 - 2.92
month 8 800 - 3.33
month 9 900 - 3.75
month 10 1000 - 4.17
month 11 1100 - 4.58
month 12 1200 - 5.00

Total - 32.50 (gross)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ibliss For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
donkingkong
Old 16-12-2010, 7:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Does the annual account interest definitely count towards the account balance or can you have interest paid into another account?
To answer my own question, interest is paid into the account and would therefore count towards the account balance (a max. of 50k).
# 60
intalex
Old 04-01-2011, 1:30 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston87 View Post
This works. I opened a first home saver in March 2009 and deposited 45k in the first month. Each month after I deposited 100. In March 2010 i got 5% interest on the full balance for 11 months. The lower rate of interest only applied to the month in which I overpaid.
Here we go with a definite answer! Are there any more people who have had the account for over a year and over-funded it initially - did you receive 5% interest on all months apart from the month of over-funding?