Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Sgl no 2 account on direct debit??? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sgl no 2 account on direct debit???
Views: 74,779
# 1
robwiles
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sgl no 2 account on direct debit???

Hi

I'm new to this site, I am writing to ask whether anyone can tell me what

'SGL NO 2 ACCOUNT'

is on my Direct Debit list. It is active and no money or amount is shown, but it is new. I have not given out my bank details to anyone, but, I have lost my bank card.

In writing, I have just realised that someone has set up a DD with SGL the online gaming site, I will call LLoyds TSBnow!!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robwiles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
chrissyb55
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i would hun if i was you i never bank on line and wouldnt i hope you sort it out glxxxxxxxxxxx
well done all winnersits great when we see the posts well done again
The Following User Says Thank You to chrissyb55 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
robwiles
Old 12-06-2010, 3:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi

Cheers for the post, I called and reported the card, and cancelled the DD.

No harm done apparently...
The Following User Says Thank You to robwiles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
thailandmartin
Old 28-07-2010, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, I looked into this as well because i didn't recognise it, but this DD is for Swinton Group Limited (SGL) and is probably for some life or accidental death/injury policy that you signed up for, because this is what it is for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thailandmartin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Exhortation
Old 23-09-2010, 2:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Swinton are bundling accident insurance in with their motor policies (and possibly others, too). You get it free for three months and then they start charging if you don't cancel. I've just been onto my online banking to delete this DD and will be ringing up Swinton over the next couple of days to have the (accident) policy cancelled.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exhortation For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
quasimodo2010
Old 25-11-2010, 1:11 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Intersting!!

thank you all for this information, I also have had the same appear on my On Line account after changing car insurance policy. Have now deleted DD. Once again Thanks!
# 7
pcjc
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Beware - I cancelled my policy after the three months to find that they still took the payment which then left my account overdrawn - when i phoned to ask why they informed me that only my husbands had been cancelled. so if you do phone to cancel insure that if its a joint policy you cancel both!

they have said they will refund the amount but it will take 3 - 10 working days and that I should send copies of bank statements with Charges which they will then refund - I will post again to let you know how successful I am!!!!!
# 8
viclspence
Old 16-02-2011, 8:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just spotted it on my bank account, it's for breakdown cover which is provided free of charge for 3 months. As it includes home recovery which my current policy doesnt but costs the same so i'm planning on keeping it.
Life is like a box of chocolates..........you always seem to pick the hard ones!
# 9
philipchallis
Old 18-02-2011, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sgl no 2

I came across this thread which prompted me to investigate my own bank statements as I too had regular debits SGL NO 2 and I had previously had car insurance through Swinton. I thought it was a transfer I had set up to another account. I investigated and found that I had supposedly received a letter advising that an Amount would be debited from my current account to Swinton every month for a personal accident policy. I phoned Swinton who advised they would cancel the policy and make a transfer of the funds to my account. This did not happen so I phoned Swinton again to be told that a refund had not been set up but now it was. We received another letter (addressed to my wife who has never spoken to Swinton) advising that they would again debit our account. I phoned Swinton who advised I just needed to stop the DD with my bank. I went online but found that there was not a DD set up so nothing to cancel. Next I find that a DD was later set up and the funds left our account. I phoned Swinton but was told they could not speak to me because it was in my wife's name. I told them that she had not solicited this she had never spoken to them and she could not phone them unless late evening or early morning when they were not open. I am collecting my wife from work early this afternoon so that she can call them. Much expense and time wasted because Swinton sent out unsolicited letters - beware of any dealings with them!
# 10
philipchallis
Old 18-02-2011, 5:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sgl no 2

Well would you believe it! Collected wife and rushed home to phone Swinton and get the refund knowing as told do this before 17.30hrs and no problem! I phoned to find that the person I had spoken too had gone home but someone would call me next morning. So much for getting the credit back on my account. Deal with these people with extreme caution or preferably not at all.
# 11
jennyjelly
Old 22-03-2011, 2:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just found the same on mine and googled it and came up with theis thread, isn't MSE fabulous!

I remember being talked into a "free for ? months" policy some time ago so I'm glad I discovered it before they took any money. I think it's an excellent policy to just look through your DDs once in a while and get rid of the stuff that shouldn't be there.

I don't know if this makes me a bad person, but I never ring companies to cancel - I just cancel the DD and they soon get the message. When I had a financial tidy up a couple of years ago (probably when I discovered MSE) there were 3 or 4 I couldn't identify and the bank couldn't help either. I cancelled them and within a few days I had letter from all of them asking me to redo my DD as it had obviously been cancelled 'in error' so the mystery of who they were was solved.
Oh dear, here we go again.
The Following User Says Thank You to jennyjelly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Annielou
Old 27-04-2011, 11:18 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I too had an unsolicited SGL No 2 Account DD - is this illegal mis-selling?

I set up a buildings/contents house insurance policy with Swinton Group and have just noticed an extra DD going out of my account for SGL No 2 account. When I phoned them they said I had agreed to a free 3 months of personal accident cover which then is charged after the 3 month free period. I had absolutely no knowledge of asking for it, or even being told about it, but was told it was in their "script". I am always pretty careful about things like that and would never ever have agreed if I'd realised what it was, so I wonder is it carefully worded in their script so the customer doesn't cotton on to what is being sold? But however it is sold, isn't this extremely unethical these days that so many people seem to be duped into this by one specific company??!!! I am going to write to them and ask them how it was presented to me in their script, but your thoughts and experiences would be interesting.
# 13
funkyg
Old 27-04-2011, 12:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just found this entry on my online banking too.
So thanks for poiting out who it was! Just cancelled it and got a cheque on the way.
# 14
stereophonics
Old 04-07-2011, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Heres how to get your money back guys!

Just recieved one of these also on my account as i have car insurance with them. They told me I wouldnt recieve a refund and if they tell you this also THEY ARE LIEING!

ALL DIRECT DEBITS are covered by direct debit indemnity, which means that you can recover the full cost of the direct debit as it waqs unauthorised by you. Simply go into your local bank, book an appointment and tell them which direct debit it was. They'll write down a code and you'll recieve a full refund of the money in 3 - 5 working days.

Stereophonics
# 15
stereophonics
Old 04-07-2011, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Phillip just quickly I had the same problem. You can get your money back from the bank as it was unauthorised! You Just need to pop into your local branch and tell them which direct debit name it was. All direct debits are covered by a direct debit indemnity which means that the bank will recover the full cost of any such dealings. Swinton won't tell you this though (obviously). Go get your money back and make sure you cancel your account from these pigs. You've been duped.
# 16
CaggyB
Old 05-07-2011, 11:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereophonics View Post
Phillip just quickly I had the same problem. You can get your money back from the bank as it was unauthorised! You Just need to pop into your local branch and tell them which direct debit name it was. All direct debits are covered by a direct debit indemnity which means that the bank will recover the full cost of any such dealings. Swinton won't tell you this though (obviously). Go get your money back and make sure you cancel your account from these pigs. You've been duped.
I tried this today with my bank RBS. They informed me "if you have had any dealings with Swinton in the past and if you have previously given them your account details then it may not be fraud. We do not know the relationship you have with them. We have cancelled the direct debits but we will not be refunding you. You will have to seek compensation from Swinton or other consumer agency". Swinton are disgusting and I would advise anyone to stay very clear!!!!
# 17
joe14729
Old 05-07-2011, 2:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This is an odd thread to be in the "game over" section!
I,m so stupid that I forgot the mnemonic
# 18
phil63
Old 17-08-2011, 8:22 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sgl no 2 account

I have a 7.98 monthly direct debit coming out of my bank account each month, the ref number is ocfo1f8d. I would like this cancelled as soon as possible. Thankyou. Philip Livingston
# 19
beck1991
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Just noticed one of these on my account too but nothing been collected yet however when I looked into it I found out it was my home emergency cover that is now under a separate dd rather than being bundled with home & conts. So if anyone has this might be worth checking before cancelling the dd.
# 20
DelBoyPhil
Old 28-09-2011, 4:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

just found that to and cancelled it. lucky for google lol