IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
30th birthday ideas for husband
Views: 26,088
# 1
Guinea
Old 10-06-2010, 6:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default 30th birthday ideas for husband

Hopefully somebody will be able to give me some ideas as I am stuck at the moment!

It is my husband's 30th birthday in December and I am busy thinking about ideas for presents for him but I wondered whether anybody else had some ideas.

For my 30th birthday he took me to Toronto, Canada for four days which was the best present ever and we had a fabulous time! This was nearly two years ago and I was working full time at that point and as I am a teacher could only go in October half term ( as this was nearest to my birthday).

Anyway...fast forward nearly two years and I am on maternity leave and so don't have as much disposable cash as I did back then.

The Husband says that he doesn't want anything for his birthday and isn't expecting anything but I like to give him a wonderful present as well but have no clue! We are not 'party people' and so a surprise party would not be a good idea and he's not allowed to take any holiday in December or January.

What can I get him that would have the WOW factor? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Baby Bump born 4th March 2010!

Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
bylromarha
Old 10-06-2010, 6:54 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Our 30th birthdays were 9 months apart, so we had an amazing 3 week New Zealand holiday to celebrate.

Being on mat leave now, when do you return? If you aren't back in January, is there anyone who can look after bubba for a few days in order that you can take OH away somewhere in February? Doesn't need to be abroad, a few days in London maybe seeing a show, meals out together, stay in a hotel. Or cosy cottage in the middle of nowhere, long walks, roaring fire.

I was shocked when I stopped teaching just HOW cheap things are out of school holidays. You can get some amazing deals for when no one else wants to go away!
Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
The Following User Says Thank You to bylromarha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Guinea
Old 10-06-2010, 7:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for these ideas. I return to school in February 2011. I thought about spending the night away, although we also have two dogs to think of, as well as the new baby!!

I do agree about the prices of things. We want to go away in the summer with baby and dogs but in August the price of what we wanted was £1100 but the next week in September was £510. I couldn't believe it! No wonder people take their children out during school times!

I will research some shows and nights out in greater depth. Maybe we could actually get some of those cheap hotel deals I always hear about but never manage to be able to get them because of the dates!

# 4
pinkshoes
Old 10-06-2010, 7:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You could get him a track day driving fast cars round a race track? It's great fun, and not tooo expensive.

Zorbing?
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
pollyanna24
Old 10-06-2010, 8:02 PM

I bought my bf a half day in a rally car. His 30th was last wk.

I know this isn't a lot by some peoples standards, it cost £150 between me and my parents, but it was appeciated and something he wanted.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
House Worth (approx) - £283,293 (according to Zoopla)
Mortgage (3rd October 2014) - £110,892.06
My 50% Equity - £86,200.47

Overpayments in 2014 - £9,585.05 so far
The Following User Says Thank You to pollyanna24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Guinea
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshoes View Post
You could get him a track day driving fast cars round a race track? It's great fun, and not tooo expensive.

Zorbing?
What is zorbing please?

# 7
Guinea
Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyanna24 View Post
I bought my bf a half day in a rally car. His 30th was last wk.

I know this isn't a lot by some peoples standards, it cost £150 between me and my parents, but it was appeciated and something he wanted.
This may sound silly but what did he do during that half day?

# 8
pinkshoes
Old 12-06-2010, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea View Post
What is zorbing please?
http://www.zorbing.co.uk/

Rolling down a hill in a big inflatable ball!! Never done it myself, but know many who have, and loved it!
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Guinea
Old 12-06-2010, 7:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshoes View Post
http://www.zorbing.co.uk/

Rolling down a hill in a big inflatable ball!! Never done it myself, but know many who have, and loved it!
Wow! This looks fab! I think he'd love that. It will have to be an early birthday present though as they are only open from April to October I think.

# 10
pinkshoes
Old 13-06-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinea View Post
Wow! This looks fab! I think he'd love that. It will have to be an early birthday present though as they are only open from April to October I think.

Looks like you can get 2 for 1 tickets if you travel by train too:

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/zorbit...s-zorbing-park
# 11
leopard85
Old 13-06-2010, 1:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Trip in a helicopter or a flying lesson? I can recommend hiring a private speed boat and taking a trip down the Thames - it's about £500 but it's amazing fun and a great way to see London, and you could split the bill with some of his mates?
# 12
ellay864
Old 13-06-2010, 1:55 PM

There's several places you can buy adventure days of various sorts...driving, flying, skydiving, shark swimming and loads loads more. I've used Red Letter Days and Virgin Experiences and both were great
Married 15 Oct 2011 at Chester Zoo

Caution...weight loss in progress. May cause mood swings!!
# 13
mumOf2wonderfulkids
Old 14-06-2010, 2:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

ill be watching this thread with interest,

my DH turns 30 in july, and what with it being smack in the middle of july all the holidays are about 4 times the price than normal so i think thats out of the window!

ive booked us for a skydive the week after as he wants to do something different (it is also our wedding anniversary on his birthday hence me skydiving too!)

as to what else to get i simply have no idea. i was looking at a nice romantic hotel somewhere for 2 nights but thats like £600 just for two days! *ouch!*
Can you see the mountains through the fog?
# 14
Bufger
Old 14-06-2010, 2:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

you can rent a cottage in the lake district for really cheap if you book last minute. Some of them are 'Grand Designs' style places and are really swanky! Not just in the lake district but thats where i go for a few days off with my OH when we get stressed and its lovely. The last one just had a local pub, one small shop and loads of walking trails and that was it! it was brilliant and time stood still.

Let us know more about him, what are his hobbies/interests and types of holiday etc.
MFW - £115,216 (£128,000 @ 5.99%)
Sofa - £757 (£1584 @ 0%)
Student Loan - £899 (£15,600 @ 1%)
Car - £0 (£12,550 @ 6%)
Cards - £0 (£8,201 @ various)
# 15
Guinea
Old 14-06-2010, 4:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi
Some great ideas here. Here's some background:
he's a HGV driver
he enjoys snow boarding and speed cycling (both relatively new)
used to be a footballer
enjoys football and Formula One
wants our son (who is 14 weeks old!) to be a Formula One driver
would love to visit Australia or go on a snow boarding holiday (I would like to do the first but NOT the last!)
Anything else you think would be helpful?

# 16
ailuro2
Old 14-06-2010, 7:45 PM

visit to a dry ski slope?

my hubby wanted his nipple pierced for his 30th, thankfully when we got to the shop it was closed. He got me an emerald pendant for my 30th, which I still treasure, it's beautiful!

for his 40th he wanted to go to a festival for a weekend, so we went podpadding to T in the Park.

for my 40th we are cruising Alaska - but that's because he'd not had many inspired ideas and said I could go anywhere in the world on holiday for my birthday present. I had earlier asked to go see the Northern Lights (in Iceland or Norway, not Aberdeen), but DH said at £1500 it was a bit over budget so soon after our Christmas holiday.... bet the bank account wishes he'd said yes to the Northern Lights now!

What about a tattoo with the baby's name on it? Is he into body art?
Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
# 17
xxlaurissaxx
Old 14-06-2010, 8:39 PM

I have just done a Ferrari Driving experience today that I won off a radio station. It was amazing! I am not a big fan in car racing but may now be. If he's into Formula 1 then I'm guessing he would love this. Xx
0/2013
# 18
Glad
Old 14-06-2010, 8:40 PM

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com
I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Compers please read the Comping Guide

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide. Click HERE
# 19
Bufger
Old 15-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

how about a weeks holiday near an indoor snowdome so he can go there for a few days? they even do little packages so you can have some freestyle lessons from some experts or just improvement lessons etc. You could just sit there and grit your teeth whilst you're bored but it'll only be for a couple of days and you'll make him happy
MFW - £115,216 (£128,000 @ 5.99%)
Sofa - £757 (£1584 @ 0%)
Student Loan - £899 (£15,600 @ 1%)
Car - £0 (£12,550 @ 6%)
Cards - £0 (£8,201 @ various)
# 20
scrivette
Old 15-06-2010, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

How about tickets to see next years British GP?