Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 6th Jun 10, 12:02 PM
    • 6,827Posts
    • 71,655Thanks
    mioliere
    Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4
    • 6th Jun 10, 12:02 PM
    Knit Your Square to Give Your Share - PART 4 6th Jun 10 at 12:02 PM
    Hi everyone

Penelope Penguin has been in touch this morning and suggested that it's time for Part 4 because part 3 has grown and grown, thanks to you all for your hard work! She will add links to this thread so that we can carry on seamlessly.

It's wonderful to think that we are now at the start of part 4! It's thanks to you all that this little idea, started just over two years ago, has become such a success!

FOR ALL NEWBIES AND LURKERS - I have tried to post a link to a post but, for some reason, it hasn't worked. Until I have sorted it out, please look for post number 1885, which you will find on page 95 of this thread - it will tell you all about what we do! Do please join us!

For all those who may have been lurking, please, please feel free to join us! You will receive the warmest of welcomes and I just know you will enjoy it here!

KathyXX

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: 'Knit Your Square to Give Your Share' is a wonderful group that knits and crochets for charitable causes, both in the UK and overseas. They provide ideas, links to stockists, tutorials and other useful websites, encouragement to one another and, most importantly, handmade items that are distributed among deserving causes. For more information please see this post. Thanks to mioliere for starting Part 4 of what is, undoubtedly, a fantastic group.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 20-03-2012 at 6:40 PM.
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

Squares: 11, Animal blankets: 2
Page 235
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 19th Sep 11, 2:21 PM
    • 15,280 Posts
    • 195,479 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Mrs Moneypenny The bag looks amazing
    thank you it was a really lucky find. i paid £1.50 for the complete kit at a carboot. the pattern wool and a rather rubbish pair of needles were included, i just needed to add the lining button and bottom reinforcing.
    grocery challenge August budget £400 spent £
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £2,700o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on the Kings curse
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
  • sock-knitter
    roamin, the snow peeps arrived this morning, thankyou ever so much, they are very much appreciated, and i will get round to sewing them up some time soon, ourcarft fayre is in november
    jack woke me up at 6 am whining, and yelping, and i'm tired, so far he's only had one accident indoors today, mainly because he's been in the garden keeping his eyes on daniel this afternoon, while i had my hair cut. jack had his first injections today,and was very brave and made no fuss. off to join them in the garden
    hugs all
    shaz xxx
    loves to knit and crochet for others
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 19th Sep 11, 4:18 PM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Hi everyone.

I'm just collecting up the numbers for the update, and I have a few questions!

Anakat - do you want me to include that lovely crib you made? And your sheep and shepherdess, too?

Jean - do you want me to include all your brilliant snowpeeps? Oh, and your 11 squares - what category are they for?

Chalky - shall I add your lovely MIL's name to our spreadsheet, so that we can add her huge donation of hats?

Knitternan - Jean has already added your name to the spreadsheet - you'll see when you check your totals (when I've done the update, which I haven't yet!) that all baby hats (whether bonnets, preemie hats, and so on) are totalled as 'Baby hats'.

I think that's all the questions for now. I've just heard DH pull up on the drive, so I'd better be off putting the kettle on!

Maytaurus - how are you? I hope you are feeling as well as can be expected.

Mrs MW - I think of you often and wonder how you are.

KathyXX

By the way, I've spoken to my Mum loads of times lately and yesterday was the first day she said that she can see better since her cataract op! I'm so relieved because I thought something may have gone wrong, and she would never ever let anyone near her eyes again! It seems like the op worked!
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• roamin in the gloamin
    • By roamin in the gloamin 19th Sep 11, 4:21 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 9,049 Thanks
    roamin in the gloamin
    Glad to hear that the (FLAT PACK) snow peeps have all arrived where they were supposed to be!

to all you new ladies that have joined us...sorry it's taken me a couple of days to catch up with you all.
    Shaz - Jack sounds like a great bundle of laughs - vinegar in the water when you wash or dab where he has been to the loo in doors and he shouldn't go back there, although it didn't work on MIL's yorkshire terrorist because she just let him pee anywhere and by the time he came to us it was a might too late, so lots of walks were needed!
    I still haven't caught up with the forum posts, someone (DH) keeps giving me little jobs that need to be done RIGHT AWAY, oh and when he has cooked the meals I really do only have a couple of minutes to get to the table or its a monster sulk (not me you understand). He has been so good over the last four months but surely must be getting a bit fed up with it all .... so I plan to start the cooking again on alternate days and see if that takes some of the pressure off him.
    Pippa.S sending loving thoughts to you and your nearest and dearest, hang on in there.
    Also sending every one of you a squishy cuddle and lots of love just for you. I see Mrs Twins has received her blankies, so off to see what else is happening out there in cyber space....I have about 45 minutes before HIS MASTERS VOICE yells to go and have dinner! So I had better make the most of it. Back later lovelies.
    xJean

KAHTY - BLANKET SQUARES.....had 11 before (I will make the lot into a blanket at some stage - promise)
    snowpeeps.......I only did the knitting......the others will be doing the stuffing and sewing
    -50 Shetland School, 50 Aberdeen (PSSO) school, 50 Kent (DWS) School, 50 Baden France School, 20 ISOM, 20 SOCK KNITTER, 20 MRS MONEYPENNY - I didn't intend to count them.
    perhaps a general heading of TOYS.....COVERS ALL SORTS??
    Last edited by roamin in the gloamin; 19-09-2011 at 4:30 PM.
    The Hooligan Wooligan – age 9¾
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    2xSIBOL butterflies -86x squares
  • In Search Of Me
    now I know theres stuffing somewhere lol! Going to try and do a couple of snowmen putting togeather a day...feels like a factory here - chutney on the go; piggy drying; just about to paint a set of decopatch things and then thats them done so just need to felt hearts and add them to the wreaths I got at hobbycraft! Not even thought of my presents yet lol! Nice early return home as managed to get to the osteopath and was clicked top to bottom of my poor back! Will need to go back and am quite sore but at least know I wasnt being OTT - he said it was a mess and hes been doing my back for over a decade!
    Socky sounds like Jack has your heart!! Does he sleep on your bed? Bound to have accidents for a bit as just a baby! Hope he gives you lots of love! Good that he was brave too!
    Roaming can understand what you mean but go gently me lovely or you'll end up a few steps back - must be frustrating for you too?
    Miol sounds like youve been busy? What news of mr and mrs Pig?
    Pippa hope the treatment is going ok?
    Chalky hope youre ok amongst the rushing here and there?
    Anakat the little lambs are especially lovely...do you have a pattern for them as may try to make some more!
    Mrs M how is health in your neck of the woods?
    Seakay havent seen you for a while and hope you are ok?
    Salome not seen you of late...hope all ok amongst schooling etc...
    This time of year is tough going me thinks; this year Ive been feeling it a bit as the days darker and woke up thinking it was middle of night but no, 6.30! Heating going on tonight too! Right off to sort out the chutney and have a think about supper! hugs all!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• Mrs Twins
    • By Mrs Twins 19th Sep 11, 6:00 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 1,256 Thanks
    Mrs Twins
    Wow! Wow! Wow!
    That's all I can say Ladies.
    Today I receive a very large parcel, and I was absolutely amazed to find out what was inside!
    Four beautiful beautiful Blankets. and 'two squares' I have to add.
    Thank you all so very very much!
    I actually had tears in my eyes when I opened the parcel, how kind you all are!
    I cannot thank you enough.
    I read on Chalkys blog the other day and saw the blankets but I never for one minute thought they were for SIBOL!
    The Elderly folk are going to have some really lovely blankets on their knees this year again.
    Each and everyone of the squares was just superb. They were all made up beautifully also by Chalky. Thank you Chalky for doing that
    and for sending them and been able to keep it an absolute secret!

I am very busy making these Challenge Blankets up at the moment.
    I do hope you will pop across to SIBOL and see what's been going on over there.
    There are lots of new Blankets and I would just like to thank everyone for their fabulous support this year.

www.sunshineinternationalblanketsoflove.blogspot.c om

Thank you all so very much.
    You've made my day and you will be making the Elderly folks too very soon.

Love Suex
    • anakat
    • By anakat 19th Sep 11, 6:31 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    anakat
    Hi everyone.

Anakat - do you want me to include that lovely crib you made? And your sheep and shepherdess, too?

KathyXX
    Originally posted by mioliere
    Yes plese the crib went preemies uk and the sheep to ISOM for fund raisers

Anakat the little lambs are especially lovely...do you have a pattern for them as may try to make some more!
    Originally posted by In Search Of Me
    As i said earlier my PC died and I lost all my saved online links, but as far as I remember it was a ravely patt and I think called sheep in sheeps clothing. They are really quick and easy to do
  • PurpleTeddyBear
    de-lurking to say "'ello" - been feeling decidedly rubbish over the last few weeks, so haven't been up to posting much, although I have been keeping an eye on you all!

DD started nursery this morning (at the ripe old age of 3 and a week...). Where ah where did my baby go to? (have tried adding a picture, but it won't let me)

Am making a super chunky pressie at the moment, the 12mm(eek) needles are soooo big it's like knitting with broomhandles, and making my wrists ache!

Hugs all round - hope I be feeling brighter soon

Dawn xx
    Last edited by PurpleTeddyBear; 20-09-2011 at 3:06 PM. Reason: Added picture!
  • sock-knitter
    dawn, what is it that u are making with the hugs needles?? i remember leaving mine at nursey when they were little,
    in fact after seeing daniel all weekend, i almost had a tear dropping him off at his flat this evening
    jack dosent seem to like being left on his own at all, can see this becoming very tiring, have to leave the tv on, just so he is quiet long enough for me to have a bath or prepare a meal. as he isnt house trained his crate/ bed are downstairs, best to keep the accidents in one or two rooms, and in his crate when i have to go out, so he dosent wreck the house, as he dosent like been left, but he is so adorable and lovable, and loves to snuggle up to me anytime he can, so thats the knitting out for the time being
    hugs all
    shaz xxx
    • notjustlaura
    • By notjustlaura 19th Sep 11, 8:35 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 5,992 Thanks
    notjustlaura
    Just finished my first SANDS shawl. Think next up is a coloured blankie for my Church's Life charity.
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
    • psso
    • By psso 19th Sep 11, 9:23 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    psso
    Anakat - is this the pattern you used for the sheep?
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sheep-in-sheeps-clothing

By the way, welcome to all the newbies, nice to have you aboard.

notjustlaura - well done on finishing the SANDS blanket. I like doing them as my mindless piece of knitting when I have to hang around for hospital appointments, waiting to pick up various family members etc. I also do the little version in pastel colours for other prem baby charities.
    knitternan - what a lot of little gowns you have done. So many people will be touched by your kindness.

Mrs Twins - so pleased you liked the blankets. A few more for your elderly people and you didn`t have to sew them together - bonus!!

Kathy - hope you enjoyed the peace and quiet today. Make the most of it, something is bound to come along and disrupt things.

Socky - give Jack a warm hot water bottle to snuggle up to. It might help to settle him.

Well I didn`t get the weeds out today as we spent too long with FIL and it gets dark earlier now. They`ll have to wait a while longer I suppose.

Going to watch Doc Martin on +1 shortly as DD is hogging the telly just now, then off to bed and hope to sleep a bit better tonight as have been waking at stupid o`clock and not getting off again for ages.

Night all.
    Fully paid up member of S.A.B.L.E.
    Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

Charity knitting 2015
    • chalky 75
    • By chalky 75 19th Sep 11, 10:14 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 15,062 Thanks
    chalky 75
    Kathy -- I have asked dear Mother In Law and she is tickled you have all seen the photo but she is not at all worried about having her name on the list!!

Some really lovely posts and work going on here of late. Isn't it lovely that we can all come together to share such a lot of woolly goodness.

Tired this evening as I have been doing C******** ALL DAY-- I know ! I know ! But we shall be back in Spain 3 weeks today and with little one expected on the 17th of December - the day we fly home for Christmas I do not want to be writing cards and packing presents when we get home ( might have a call to do some cuddling!!!!!)

--- SO only 2 more presents to wrap, except my DD1 , DD2 and DS and DDILto do!
    DD2 has extended her trip in Oz so that will be a money transfer!!
    Try and do a good deed every day.
  • PurpleTeddyBear
    Shaz

Have just finished the super chunky 12mm "thing" - not bad, in that I cast it on at teatime....cast off at 10pm! It's a superchunky cable scarf and looks lovely...will get a picture onto flickr when I can find the camera cable (I had it this morning, but DD has tidied up since then). All done in blues Sirdar Bigga...18sts and 24 rows to the pattern. 4 balls and tis done!

Dawn xx
  • sock-knitter
    morning all
    dawn, that was one quick scarf, maybe your camera cable is hiding along with mine. am thinking about getting another, as camera sems to have vanished now lol
    am exhausted this morning, jack kept me awake most of the night barking and whining,now hes been fad, and been out he's laid in his bed, but as soon as i move out of the room, he follows me
    shaz xxx
    • mioliere
    • By mioliere 20th Sep 11, 9:37 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 71,655 Thanks
    mioliere
    Hi everyone - at long last I've done the update. I do hope it's all correct but please let me know if there are any mistakes! The update can be found by clicking into my name at the side of this post, then going to my 'homepage'.

Chalky - it's really not a long time to wait now for little Gilberto, is it?! Hope DIL is keeping well and enjoying pregnancy! I added your MIL to our list! Please thank her for such a magnificent number of hats, all beautifully knitted, too!

Anakat - I've listed your sheep and shepherdess under 'toys.

Jean - I'd be really really grateful if you could alphabetise the spreadsheet for me, pretty please, and only if you have time. I've added Chalky's MIL but for the life of me I can't find out how to reproduce the same font and colour that you've used for all the other names, and I've added 'cribs' and 'toys' to the item list.

Well, DH is back out at work. He got on really well yesterday and it looks as if he will have all the work that needs doing to the property. It's a house that needs total renovation, both inside and out and, although it's going to be hard work, especially after having spent the last two and a half years doing our place, I think he's enjoying it; it's even better now that he's earning! As for me, I'm ticking all sorts of jobs off my 'to-do' list, and it's only my second day on my own. Like you, Chalky, I am spending a couple of hours a day on C*******s!

I still have some admin to do but I should get that finished by lunchtime today - fingers crossed, and as long as I don't get distracted on here!

Purpleteddybear - great to hear from you. What a gorgeous little girl; a real cutie, and the cardi is great, too. I've used Sirdar Bigga before, in a denim colour. I made a handbag with it as a present for someone. It's lovely and touchy-feely when it's all knitted or crocheted up!

Well, I'd better go and get on with the paperwork (yawn!). I also have ironing (yawn, yawn!) but I really cba to do that today!

KathyXX
    KNIT YOUR SQUARE TOTALS:

• roamin in the gloamin
    • By roamin in the gloamin 20th Sep 11, 12:01 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 9,049 Thanks
    roamin in the gloamin
    MIOLIERE - you now have alphabet tartan spready...........couldn't resist it......! back later being yelled that lunch is on the table!
    xx
    Charity Knitting 2015-
    • chalky 75
    • By chalky 75 20th Sep 11, 12:31 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 15,062 Thanks
    chalky 75
    Hello to one and all and love tucked in especially for Pippa and Doh x
    Well it was so lovely for Mrs Twins and I love the fact that she is soooo appreciative. So 3rd challenge kissing the Geezers and all going well. Thank you again for such wonderful support!

PTB-- What a gorgeous young ladt! Hope you feel better soon x
    ISOM -- Hope you are getting over your crash now and there is continued good news from Mum x
    Kinsey -- Hope all well as have not heard from you for a while.
    Psso-- Hope job is going well.
    Mrs M- and Shaz - Sounds as if you are going to be busy collecting for your stalls --- would some curly key rings be of any help. Please shout if so as they are quick and easy!
    Jean- My DOH is exactle the same he even says you have a 2 minute warning when the food is nearly ready!Love your blanket.
    F1 -- How are you?
    Anakat --Glad you have found the sheep pattern!
    Not Just Laura-- Brilliant on the Sands blanket!
    Kathy -- I will tell DMIL she will be tickled. She is in Scotland just now but has her needles with her-- Sounds like you are getting some well deserved peace. Glad to hear a bit better news of Mum's eyes! Yes, the weeks are speeding by to the wonderful day we meet baby Gilberto! All well in North Devon and we are going to visit this weekend! Can't wait.

May,Pfungi, Seakay, Mrs mw and anyone else just having a little lurk -- Lots of gentle thoughts coming your way!

Well 4 banana cakes are making the kitchen smell gorgeous. The bananas were down to 15p a kilo so had to be popped in the trolley!
    I am still busy making hedgies for next batch! So easy when it is evening time!
    Try and do a good deed every day.
  • knitter nan
    Well have just waved the youngest back off to uni It will certainly be a lot quieter around here.

A friend has told me of a place that quite often has bargain wool for sale not too far away. Am planning a trip tomorrow as it is close to a small market in the next town that is on on Weds that has cheap but great veg and also a couple of stalls selling local farm meat. It will be great if I manage to get some as I don't have much of anything at the minute.
  • PurpleTeddyBear
    Super Chunky Scarf
    Found camera lead ----

It's almost 6' long.....but v quick to do! Cable is reversible too, so looks the same from both sides. V impressed
    I have another 9 balls of blues, and 5 cream.....

Dawn xx
    • roamin in the gloamin
    • By roamin in the gloamin 20th Sep 11, 3:19 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 9,049 Thanks
    roamin in the gloamin
    WOW, loving that Dawn.....especially as it is done in one evening in front of the telly Off to sort out my signature (those flippin snow peeps) then read back and catch up on what has been going on
    x Jean
    x
    Charity Knitting 2015-
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,059Posts Today

4,675Users online

Martin's Twitter