Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Help - my 10 jars of tomato chutney are too runny... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Help - my 10 jars of tomato chutney are too runny.
Views: 19,987
# 1
bluenose1
Old 24-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Help - my 10 jars of tomato chutney are too runny.

Have grown my own tomatoes and made green tomato chutney yesterday - 10 jars.
Unfortunately it is too runny, I could scream. Made it last year and it was lovely. Think I haven't let the vinegar evaporate enough.

Don't know whether to put it back in the pan and boil it down, re sterilise jars or should I just chuck it.

Any thoughts.
Anne
Money SPENDING Expert

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
natlie
Old 24-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi you could reheat and use a bit of arrowroot to thicken it arrowroot is clear so won't affect the look of the chutney
good luck
Nat
x
Debt starting (Jan 2014) = 14,461 Debt currently = 0

Save 1400 between Sep-Dec 2014 600/1400
The Following User Says Thank You to natlie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
pancakequeen
Old 24-08-2006, 11:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes if you put it back into the pan and bring back up to the boil, then carry on simmering it until it is thicker. Wash and sterilise your jars again and rebottle and it should be fine.

HTH
Anne
The Following User Says Thank You to pancakequeen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Debt_Free_Chick
Old 24-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Strain some of the excess vinegar off - just put the chutney into a sieve and let some of the vinegar drain off.

Then ... put the chutney back in the pan and simmer until thicker. A long slow simmer is best, with the lid OFF the pan. Had to the same with my plum chutney at the weekend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debt_Free_Chick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
bluenose1
Old 24-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debt_Free_Chick
A long slow simmer is best, with the lid OFF the pan. Had to the same with my plum chutney at the weekend.
That is were I made the mistake. For some stupid reason I put the pan lid ON so didn't let the vinegar evaporate.
When I get home from work today will try and fix. Just the thought of having to clean those jars again.

Thanks for all your comments.
Money SPENDING Expert

# 6
janeawej
Old 24-08-2006, 9:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

deginately reboil then repot into sterile jars
The Following User Says Thank You to janeawej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
bluenose1
Old 24-08-2006, 9:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hurray,
I strained some of the vinegar away and simmered the rest to reduce the vinegar and it has at last thickened up enough to put back into the jars.

Feeling quite pleased with myself. Will try and make another batch in a couple of weeks and see if I can get it right first time.
Regards
Anne
Money SPENDING Expert

The Following User Says Thank You to bluenose1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
demented
Old 25-08-2006, 9:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose1
Hurray,
I strained some of the vinegar away and simmered the rest to reduce the vinegar and it has at last thickened up enough to put back into the jars.

Feeling quite pleased with myself. Will try and make another batch in a couple of weeks and see if I can get it right first time.
Regards
Anne
Hi would you post the recipe please, I have never made Tomato chutney but would love to make some.
Thanks demented
20p savers club
before joining had nothing
joined on 19/03
now have 40.00 saved
saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
Amazon sellers club member 31
# 9
charlies_mum
Old 31-08-2007, 4:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Chutney help

I followed Catznine's recipe for chutney, and it tastes lovely, but it isn't thickening up. I have simmered it for a while, but not sure whether I haven't given it long enough.

Any idea what I can do :confused:
# 10
catznine
Old 31-08-2007, 6:00 PM

It should set as it cools down, if not try a fast simmer but stir it or else it will catch. My last batch was a little bit runny as I didn't have the time to do this (puppy was a bit demanding:rolleyes it still tastes good and will do for popping on some ham in salads etc. Are you making apple chutney or plum? Plums have more liquid in so perhaps a little less vinegar next time.
hth

Catz x
Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to catznine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
charlies_mum
Old 01-09-2007, 7:40 AM

HI

Thanks for the reply, I made apple and plum as that was what was on the trees in the garden. It tastes lovely, but is quite runny, but I'll try less vinegar next time.

I'll just put it down to another learning experience on my way to being a Domestic Goddess
The Following User Says Thank You to charlies_mum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
mrs baggins
Old 26-08-2008, 7:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default my chutney is all runny? what can I do

Hi all I posted about my glut of plums yesterday and barneysmum very kindly gave me this link to a recipie for some chutney.http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/511709

As i had a lot of plums I doubled up the quantities. After te required amount of cooking time it was still very runny so i left it to cook some more. I bottled it and it was still very runny but I thought it may have formed up overnight. Alas no! Any ideas on how I can get it a bit firmer. Can i put it back into a pan at this late date and cook it some more? Any ideas on what went wrong?
# 13
DawnW
Old 26-08-2008, 9:36 AM

It is simply a matter of putting it all back in the pan and cooking it some more! It is hard to give a precise time for chutney because the ingredients vary in the amount of water they contain. Boil it (fairly gently, don't let it burn) till it is thick enough to leave a trail when you stir it with a wooden spoon. As you say, it will thicken up a bit more as it cools, but must be quite thick to start with. All you are doing by boiling it further is evaporating the water. Once enough has evaporated, it will be nice and thick. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to DawnW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
mrs baggins
Old 26-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

cheers thanks!!!
# 15
oliveoyl
Old 26-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I made some chutney a few days ago (mango though) and it took just short of 3 hours to reduce down to being syrupy.
TOP MONEYSAVING TIP

Make your own Pot Noodles using a flower pot, sawdust and some old shoe laces. Pour in boiling water, stir then allow to stand for two minutes before taking one mouthful, and throwing away. Just like the real thing!
The Following User Says Thank You to oliveoyl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Pink.
Old 26-08-2008, 1:03 PM

Hi mrs baggins,

I hope you managed to get it sorted out. I have added your thread to an earlier one on runny chutney to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the In My Home (Includes DIY), I wanna buy-it or do-it, Greenfingered MoneySaving and Old Style MoneySaving boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
# 17
mrs baggins
Old 26-08-2008, 3:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

well I had three jars of quite rnny plum chutney yesterday and so I bunged it all back in the pan for about an hour and I now have TWO jars of plum chutney! hopefully these will set nice
# 18
bigpaws23
Old 21-09-2008, 4:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have chutney on the cooker now. I've simmered it, lid off for 3 hours and it still is really runny, with no hint of sticking at the bottom of the pan.

1/2 an hour ago I strained off some of the liquid, but it's looking quite pathetic - like a load of veg sitting in vinegar tbh. Nowhere near a chutney consistency.

I'm really down about it. Will cornflour do the trick or will I ruin the entire batch? I really want to rescue this as I forked out on cyder vinegar for the occasion

It doesn't have a high fruit content - it's marrow with onions, tomatoes and apples. Does anyone have any rescue tips for me. Having read through the thread I think I've tried everything............
# 19
Penelope Penguin
Old 21-09-2008, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaws23 View Post
I have chutney on the cooker now. I've simmered it, lid off for 3 hours and it still is really runny, with no hint of sticking at the bottom of the pan.

1/2 an hour ago I strained off some of the liquid, but it's looking quite pathetic - like a load of veg sitting in vinegar tbh. Nowhere near a chutney consistency.

I'm really down about it. Will cornflour do the trick or will I ruin the entire batch? I really want to rescue this as I forked out on cyder vinegar for the occasion

It doesn't have a high fruit content - it's marrow with onions, tomatoes and apples. Does anyone have any rescue tips for me. Having read through the thread I think I've tried everything............
I wouldn't have advised straining off the liquid - this will contain the sugar and vinegar which are essential if the chutney is to keep

I'd put them back and be patient in your boiling down of the chutney - it'll work in the end, but may take a while, with high water content ingredients

Penny. x
Life is too short to clean behind the fridge
The Following User Says Thank You to Penelope Penguin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
bigpaws23
Old 21-09-2008, 6:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks Penny; I've taken your advise and just need to be more patient. I was panicking at the thought of all those wasted ingredients (and time!)
The Following User Says Thank You to bigpaws23 For This Useful Post: Show me >>