IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Removing radiator and blanking off
Closed Thread
Views: 2,019
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
GAZB
Old 29-05-2010, 2:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.K
Posts: 23
Default Removing radiator and blanking off

Im in the process of converting my loft , I want to fit the staircase up against the bedroom wall but there is a small radiator on there that will need to be removed , I dont want to refit it again , I know how to remove the radiator but im not sure what to do with the pipe work under the floor boards , is it just a case of cutting the pipes and blanking both ends off under the floor boards
GAZB is offline
Report Post
# 2
ormus
Old 29-05-2010, 3:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bolton le moors
Posts: 40,869
Default

assuming its the common two pipe system, then yes.

if its a single pipe system then join the two cut ends together again.
Get some gorm.
ormus is offline
Report Post
# 3
mikey72
Old 29-05-2010, 3:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,412
Default

Basically yes.
If there are two different pipes, one in, one out, drain it down, then cut them and cap them off. Re-fill with a corrosion inhibitor as well.

Beat me to it.
mikey72 is offline
Report Post
# 4
gabyjane
Old 29-05-2010, 3:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,485
Default

Hi we had this done in our kitchen, we used a plumber as he fitted our USA fridge so got him to do at the same time and was about 20 if that. Our pipes that were left though were out of the wall as opposed to the floor and he just capped them in the wall and then we had to re fill and plaster the wall.
gabyjane is offline
Report Post
# 5
mikey72
Old 29-05-2010, 3:26 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,412
Default

For 20 he couldn't have drained and re-filled.
If you're fast you can do it without draining down, and cap them off.
If you miss, or it goes wrong it's messy though. Plug the tank in the loft if you do it this way, but for a loft coversion the water will have a long way to go if it goes bad on you.
mikey72 is offline
Report Post
# 6
27col
Old 29-05-2010, 4:37 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 5,567
Default

If you cut the pipes using a pipe cutter, so as to leave a smooth end, all you then have to do is to put a push-fit stop-end onto the pipe. I always used to carry plastic stop-ends with me in case of emergency or for a temporary cap to put on the pipe.
I can afford anything that I want.
Just so long as I don't want much.
27col is offline
Report Post
# 7
gabyjane
Old 29-05-2010, 5:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey72;33276865[B
]For 20 he couldn't have drained and re-filled.[/B]
If you're fast you can do it without draining down, and cap them off.
If you miss, or it goes wrong it's messy though. Plug the tank in the loft if you do it this way, but for a loft coversion the water will have a long way to go if it goes bad on you.
Well he drained it how would i know if he refilled it? would he need to if it is not being used again..not sure on how they work hence him doing it! Anyway he did the whole job for 20 (just asked dh!), he was plumbing in our fridge at the same time so said he would do then. he is also a friend so it was cheaper than i guess should be.
gabyjane is offline
Report Post
# 8
mikey72
Old 29-05-2010, 5:24 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabyjane View Post
Well he drained it how would i know if he refilled it? would he need to if it is not being used again..not sure on how they work hence him doing it! Anyway he did the whole job for 20 (just asked dh!), he was plumbing in our fridge at the same time so said he would do then. he is also a friend so it was cheaper than i guess should be.

I'm not criticizing him, just advising if you do it yourself, drain the system down, then re-fill with inhibitor included.
I do know plumbers who chop the pipes, get there thumb on, then get a stop end on, without draining down though. (Me, for one, but maybe not in a loft)
mikey72 is offline
Report Post
# 9
shandypants5
Old 29-05-2010, 5:29 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Back of the class
Posts: 2,025
Default

UhOh! I drained and repaired my heating system about 2 years ago and just let it refill itself fron the ball valve in the loft tank...

How much is this inhibitor and is it too late for me to add some now?
Careful. We don't want to learn from this.

shandypants5 is offline
Report Post
# 10
1984ReturnsForReal
Old 29-05-2010, 5:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14,481
Default

has it got 2 lockshields on it?
1984ReturnsForReal is offline
Report Post
# 11
mikey72
Old 29-05-2010, 5:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandypants5 View Post
UhOh! I drained and repaired my heating system about 2 years ago and just let it refill itself fron the ball valve in the loft tank...

How much is this inhibitor and is it too late for me to add some now?
I'd drain and re-fill, circulate by turing the heating on, drain and re-fill etc until the water comes out clean, then re-fill with
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79683/...Inhibitor-1Ltr

added to the header as you re-fill.
mikey72 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
gas4you
Old 29-05-2010, 5:56 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 2,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey72 View Post
For 20 he couldn't have drained and re-filled.
If you're fast you can do it without draining down, and cap them off.
If you miss, or it goes wrong it's messy though. Plug the tank in the loft if you do it this way, but for a loft coversion the water will have a long way to go if it goes bad on you.
This is a very common way to work live on pipes that don't need soldering.

You have to bung the cold fill, but also cap the open vent.

I have had many a strange look from customers when I have asked if they have a spare carrot!

If a combi or system boiler, then just release the pressure down to zero and the vacuum will soon form to stop water running out.

You could of course always freeze the pipes, but then this involves extra cost.
gas4you is offline
Report Post
# 13
mikey72
Old 29-05-2010, 7:05 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 14,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas4you View Post
This is a very common way to work live on pipes that don't need soldering.

You have to bung the cold fill, but also cap the open vent.

I have had many a strange look from customers when I have asked if they have a spare carrot!

If a combi or system boiler, then just release the pressure down to zero and the vacuum will soon form to stop water running out.

You could of course always freeze the pipes, but then this involves extra cost.
You cut the pipe, and have a small trickle of water, which stops.
Then from somewhere above you hear a gurgle in the pipes................
How fast can you get a compression stop end on?
mikey72 is offline
Report Post
# 14
gabyjane
Old 29-05-2010, 7:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,485
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey72 View Post
I'm not criticizing him, just advising if you do it yourself, drain the system down, then re-fill with inhibitor included.
I do know plumbers who chop the pipes, get there thumb on, then get a stop end on, without draining down though. (Me, for one, but maybe not in a loft)
No i know you weren't! Ah i see in that case he did drain it as remember him sitting there waiting for it to ..well drain!
gabyjane is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:55 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 30 July 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 88
  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSTHE HOUSE THAT GARAGE BUILT - MINISTRY OF SOUND

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.