Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 12
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 27th May 17, 10:25 AM
    • 12,495 Posts
    • 10,496 Thanks
    zagfles
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/05/ehic-website-has-crashed-but-dont-be-tempted-to-use-a-shyster-site?_ga=2.237551301.437461428.1495877063-134932888.1451414882
    • postmaster0
    • By postmaster0 7th Jun 17, 3:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    postmaster0
    Scam on Renewal of European Health Insurance Card
    I contacted EHIC Direct on line to renew my card. At the end of the process I had to put in my credit card details, I thought it was odd, but I did it. Almost immediately after I had left the web site I thought 'you fool'......I found a phone number for them on the web site and rang them to cancel the transaction, they said OK they would do it straight away............two days later I can see on my credit card statement £34.50 out and £34.50 in. I've been amazingly lucky!
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 7th Jun 17, 3:46 PM
    • 7,927 Posts
    • 8,034 Thanks
    pogofish
    I contacted EHIC Direct on line to renew my card. At the end of the process I had to put in my credit card details, I thought it was odd, but I did it. Almost immediately after I had left the web site I thought 'you fool'......I found a phone number for them on the web site and rang them to cancel the transaction, they said OK they would do it straight away............two days later I can see on my credit card statement £34.50 out and £34.50 in. I've been amazingly lucky!
    Originally posted by postmaster0
    Why do you think it was free then?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=33245177&postcount=1

There are any number of appropriate threads to discuss the paid for EHIC sites and why to do about them!
    • pollywoggle123
    • By pollywoggle123 22nd Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pollywoggle123
    anyone else having trouble accessing the EHIC official website? Keeps saying "error on the site try again later" still getting the same message. Thank you
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 22nd Jun 17, 1:57 PM
    • 18,560 Posts
    • 47,777 Thanks
    Pollycat
    anyone else having trouble accessing the EHIC official website? Keeps saying "error on the site try again later" still getting the same message. Thank you
    Originally posted by pollywoggle123
    How far can you get?

It's working for me.
    • pollywoggle123
    • By pollywoggle123 23rd Jun 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pollywoggle123
    tried to register, then message appears "We were unable to process your application due to unforeseen circumstances" Please try again later. Been like this for a few days. Just wondered if anyone else was having this problem?
    • greygroover56
    • By greygroover56 3rd Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    greygroover56
    Although it says that this article has recently been revised, some aspects seem out of date. A major fact that you do not mention is that many travel health insurers insist that all their customers have EHIC cards when travelling in Europe and will, in reality, only cover claims for the excess costs not covered by the EHIC.
    We have some friends who have first hand experience of this when one of them fell ill in Spain. Not knowing of this restriction they were initially taken to a private hospital Their insurer flatly refused to authorise any treatment so the patient had to be taken by ambulance to the nearest public hospital.

Check the wording about EHIC in the policy documents carefully. Some of the wording is vague, probably purposefully, so you should check with your insurer what their policy is in these sorts of situations.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 18,560 Posts
    • 47,777 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Although it says that this article has recently been revised, some aspects seem out of date. A major fact that you do not mention is that many travel health insurers insist that all their customers have EHIC cards when travelling in Europe and will, in reality, only cover claims for the excess costs not covered by the EHIC.
    We have some friends who have first hand experience of this when one of them fell ill in Spain. Not knowing of this restriction they were initially taken to a private hospital Their insurer flatly refused to authorise any treatment so the patient had to be taken by ambulance to the nearest public hospital.

Check the wording about EHIC in the policy documents carefully. Some of the wording is vague, probably purposefully, so you should check with your insurer what their policy is in these sorts of situations.
    Originally posted by greygroover56
    EHIC gives you the same rights to medical treatment as the locals.
    If a Spaniard wouldn't be treated in a private hospital, neither would your friends.

A valid European Health Insurance Card gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.
    The EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home. Treatment should be provided on the same basis as it would to a resident of that country, either at a reduced cost or, in many cases, for free. For example, in some countries, patients are expected to directly contribute a percentage towards the cost of their state-provided treatment. This is known as a patient co-payment. If you receive treatment under this type of healthcare system, you are expected to pay the same co-payment charge as a patient from that country.
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx
    • SpanishLady
    • By SpanishLady 19th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SpanishLady
    On a recent visit to Spain had to pay £240 for emergency treatment because my EHIC card had expired a month previously. So DO CHECK yours! Spanish hospitals and emergency treatment rooms will insist on seeing it, so carry it with you,
    • djpalmer32
    • By djpalmer32 31st Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    djpalmer32
    Private Medial Insurance and EHIC
    A colleague of mine is claiming that because she has private medical insurance she does not need an EHIC. Is this correct?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 31st Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 18,560 Posts
    • 47,777 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A colleague of mine is claiming that because she has private medical insurance she does not need an EHIC. Is this correct?
    Originally posted by djpalmer32
    I'm not familiar with private medical insurance but does her private medical insurance cover her in all EU countries?

e.g. if she breaks her leg in Spain, will her private medical insurance cover her for treatment and repatriation if necessary?

If it doesn't, she'll need a EHIC to get her this level of treatment:

A valid European Health Insurance Card gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.
    The EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home. Treatment should be provided on the same basis as it would to a resident of that country, either at a reduced cost or, in many cases, for free. For example, in some countries, patients are expected to directly contribute a percentage towards the cost of their state-provided treatment. This is known as a patient co-payment. If you receive treatment under this type of healthcare system, you are expected to pay the same co-payment charge as a patient from that country.
    The EHIC also covers the treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth or seek treatment. For more information about what is covered in each country, see our country-by-country guide.
    EHIC isn't a substitute for travel insurance so if she needed repatriation, that's where travel insurance comes in.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 31st Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Anyone is normally committed to mitigate their losses to benefit from any from of insurance.

So if your colleague doesn't have an ehic then they may be subject to additional costs tahthat could have been avoided by having one.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 31st Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 12,495 Posts
    • 10,496 Thanks
    zagfles
    Depends on the terms of the private medical insurance. I used to have one which covered travel on holiday but it was conditional on having an EHIC as well.
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 1st Aug 17, 6:19 AM
    • 3,518 Posts
    • 3,272 Thanks
    gfplux
    My understanding is that if you don't have and show the EHIC the insurance company will only pay the extra costs.
    "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up. Although "Brexit Crisis", "The Curse of Brexit" or "Brexit Disaster" come close. I am a Remainder. Brexit will make Britain poor (again)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 1st Aug 17, 6:46 AM
    • 18,560 Posts
    • 47,777 Thanks
    Pollycat
    When the EHIC is free and simple to get, why wouldn't you?
    Really?
    • darling777
    • By darling777 29th Aug 17, 5:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    darling777
    Ehic
    Noticed when applying for EHIC card that one of the statements in the terms and conditions states that:

'The persons named in this application have consented to their personal details being disclosed.'

This seems a bit risky to consent to. I put my application on hold at this point.

Any comments?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 29th Aug 17, 6:54 PM
    • 7,300 Posts
    • 9,043 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Noticed when applying for EHIC card that one of the statements in the terms and conditions states that:

'The persons named in this application have consented to their personal details being disclosed.'

This seems a bit risky to consent to. I put my application on hold at this point.

Any comments?
    Originally posted by darling777
    Sometimes you can be overcautios.

It's about you keying applications for others and confirming they've said you can.
    • tahrey
    • By tahrey 7th Dec 17, 2:47 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    tahrey
    How do we get one in a hurry now then?
    Right, so the link to the NHS webpage that the article claims "has information on getting [an EHIC] replaced at short notice" has nothing of the sort, and even the app they offer for download (which I'd have trouble fitting into my phone) has a caveat that it isn't actually a replacement for the card itself...

My question therefore - have we any way of getting hold of a valid EHIC that doesn't take the better part of two weeks any more? And if I register online, can I at least use the app to get the details needed for the Provisional Replacement Certificate if it comes to that? I can't exactly get the card number etc if it's sitting in an envelope on my doormat at home.

(I'm going away tomorrow on a trip that was arranged at rather late notice, and the EHIC card that I'm sure was always popping up and getting in the way when I've been rooting around for other things lately is suddenly nowhere to be found... plus if it's not already expired, it will be very soon... thus I'm in a bit of a spot...)

Any suggestions gratefully received

...right, I'm off to charge my post office cashcard and get some backup Euros
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 8th Dec 17, 7:53 AM
    • 3,518 Posts
    • 3,272 Thanks
    gfplux
    Insurers might punish you if you don't have an ehic card as you have not "minimised the loss"
    "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up. Although "Brexit Crisis", "The Curse of Brexit" or "Brexit Disaster" come close. I am a Remainder. Brexit will make Britain poor (again)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

1,257Users online

Martin's Twitter