IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
is my offers a scam
Views: 66,544
# 1
lucat
Old 23-08-2006, 10:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default is my offers a scam

Hi All

Is it genuine? I was bored the other week and started entering loads of competitions on their site and this morning recieved a recorded delivery to say i had won 3K but had to call a number within 7 days to claim the prize...sounds dodgy to me but wondered if you had heard anything?

Cheers
:confused:
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Heinz
Old 23-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Don't tell me, the number starts 09.....

Get ready for a long time on hold and listening to music and/or "Your call is important to us" garbage if you call. They'll try to keep you hanging on as long as possible - at £1.50 per minute.
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
# 3
SAP_Saver
Old 23-08-2006, 11:35 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to SAP_Saver

scam... scam oh and scam...!

Deepest Debt - 13,000+
Debt Now - 0
# 4
Mrs B
Old 23-08-2006, 12:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Which site was it?
# 5
Peter-Pan
Old 23-08-2006, 12:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

one of my friends responded to one of those things it cost 10 for the phone call,what did he get S.F.A. he said the least he could "win" was a mobile phone.
# 6
izzitme
Old 24-08-2006, 7:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucat
Hi All

Is it genuine? I was bored the other week and started entering loads of competitions on their site and this morning recieved a recorded delivery to say i had won £3K but had to call a number within 7 days to claim the prize...sounds dodgy to me but wondered if you had heard anything?

Cheers
:confused:
You probably received a letter from Clubseasons. They seem to be a UK based timeshare organisation.

If you ignore this letter, they will write again in a couple of weeks, enclosing a brochure & saying how "amazed" they are that you haven't taken up your "prize". This letter will ask you to ring them to discuss reallocating your prize to somebody else.

I ignored this 2nd letter too. They haven't bothered me again, yet. Problem is, I don't remember entering a competition to win a timeshare.

P.S. The phone number is 0800
# 7
Gazebo
Old 25-03-2010, 2:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Actually, last year, my brother won 2 VIP tickets to Glastonbury Festival and all he had to do was call a mobile number to redeem them. I know this to be true cos he gave the tickets to me!
# 8
maninthestreet
Old 25-03-2010, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazebo View Post
Actually, last year, my brother won 2 VIP tickets to Glastonbury Festival and all he had to do was call a mobile number to redeem them. I know this to be true cos he gave the tickets to me!
You can't give Glastonbury Festival tickets to anyone else - they are non-transferable.
"You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maninthestreet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
reehsetin
Old 25-03-2010, 2:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

http://www.myoffers.co.uk/ this site? I saw this last week advertised on either the mirror or sun website, signed up and completed a few questionairres but it seems a bit dodgy and the prizes they give just for entering the other competitions seem like a complete waste of time (plus you have to pay for postage)
Yes Your Dukeiness
# 10
cooldude255220
Old 25-03-2010, 5:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazebo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maninthestreet View Post
You can't give Glastonbury Festival tickets to anyone else - they are non-transferable.
1 Word.......
Owned
2014 Wins: 26/08 - Lamb's Navy Rum - thanks bubba2! 02/09 - Let's Be Cops Merchandise - thanks Lakshmi7!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cooldude255220 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
samhuzz
Old 25-03-2010, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I entered loads with them too, all I ever got from them was a load of spam emails!
# 12
hawkwinddotcom
Old 25-03-2010, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I use to enter that site everyday for the comps, never won anything
# 13
jacktyler
Old 25-03-2010, 6:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

there are some reviews of it on these sites:

mcafee siteadvisor

weboftrust
# 14
marleyboy
Old 26-03-2010, 2:20 AM

I used to enter them every day, for a year, won sod all, but then out of the blue I won a PS2 and a Spongebob game - PS2 was new back then, it just turned up, in a big box, no phone numbers to call, nothing to fill in.

It spurned me to keep entering them - however many times you lose or little you win, the more you apply the higher the chances, I learned that eventually EVERYONE who keeps entering them, eventually has a win (however small). Its always when you least expect it.
1+1+1=1
"Marleyboy you are a legend!"
MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
Marleyboy speaks sense
marleyboy (total legend)
Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
# 15
AprilP
Old 24-09-2010, 11:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Ok, I joined this site about three months ago and all was fine. I was getting emails to enter competitions and that was it. Last week I got an email saying I was chosen to win one of three prizes and on the email was my name and two other names. So like most people would think, I thought we were winning a prize each. I clicked the link.

This link took me to a different site and it was asking all sots of personal information, there ws a little bit that said I'd be entered into a prize draw and I'm sure it said 99 people. Now the odds were getting bigger.

I closed it down and didn't enter.

I'm now receiving mails like that a lot and have came to the conclusion that it is a phishing site. I've changed my name, address and email on it as I don't trust just shutting down the account.

The prizes you get for entering competitions are pretty naff and you have to send them 2.99 to claim them, most of the stuff you could get from a cheapo shop for less. I never claimed anything from them but have read around and found out that the concensus is you don't get the prizes after paying the 2.99.

I've seen posts around that say "I've won more than once", sorry I don't believe these are real people as others say they have won and never received the prize.

I'll be giving this one a miss from now on, they have become a total p[ain with emails coming from other sites with their name on the address too, like this Hotelshop and MyOffers (Hotelshop@lr001.net). Blocked it
# 16
DCFC79
Old 24-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude255220 View Post
1 Word.......
Owned
proper owned
# 17
mynameisdave
Old 24-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Edit: Sorry, being a goon. Just realised the whole trail of posts
# 18
pafc2007
Old 19-05-2011, 5:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

hi regarding this website interesting to see the results for myoffers websit on mywot.com.

i have also entered lots of these so called prizes to i keep getting strange numbers ringing me on my mobil phone and i never have won anything eaither! I thin its a con and think we all should report this website to trading standards. I also am getting lots of spam emails but as yet nothing has been sent via post as yet. What do u think about reporting it to trading standards?
# 19
DCFC79
Old 19-05-2011, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pafc2007 View Post
hi regarding this website interesting to see the results for myoffers websit on mywot.com.

i have also entered lots of these so called prizes to i keep getting strange numbers ringing me on my mobil phone and i never have won anything eaither! I thin its a con and think we all should report this website to trading standards. I also am getting lots of spam emails but as yet nothing has been sent via post as yet. What do u think about reporting it to trading standards?

threads a bit dont you think
# 20
Oopsadaisy
Old 21-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFC79 View Post
threads a bit dont you think
A bit what???