IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
450 amazon voucher: scam?
Closed Thread
Views: 2,280
# 1
aqueoushumour01
Old 22-08-2006, 9:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default 450 amazon voucher: scam?

I've just seen a listing for 450 in amazon gift vouchers sent by email. Perhaps it's just me being over-cautious but I've heard of a lot of people buying high valued vouchers and them not working.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/450-AMAZON-CO-...QQcmdZViewItem

This one is being sold by an ebayer with 0 feedback. This always worries me when the item being sold is of potentially high value. They write under sellers instructions, "This is an email voucher. Paypal not accepted as payment method. You can pay on collection or if you have high feedback then i may accept payment after i email you the voucher"

They supposedly want the buyer to take payment to them and meet face to face. This perhaps makes it less likely to be a scam but is it likely that someone will have 450 worth of genuine amazon gift vouchers?

Currently the item has only been bid up to 30 - perhaps buyers are wary of this one. As it stands the winning bidder could get the bargain of the century if the item is genuine but if there's a rally at the last minute (it closes thursday at 2pm) the winner could find themselves out of pocket if it turns out to be a scam.

Last edited by aqueoushumour01; 22-08-2006 at 9:34 PM.
# 2
Annie021063
Old 22-08-2006, 9:26 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via MSN to Annie021063

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqueoushumour01
I've just seen a listing for 450 in amazon gift vouchers sent by email. Perhaps it's just me being over-cautious but I've heard of a lot of people buying high valued vouchers and them not working.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/450-AMAZON-CO-...QQcmdZViewItem

This one is being sold by an ebayer with 0 feedback. This always worries me when the item being sold is of potentially high value. They write under sellers instructions, "This is an email voucher. Paypal not accepted as payment method. You can pay on collection or if you have high feedback then i may accept payment after i email you the voucher"

They supposedly want the buyer to take payment to them and meet face to face. This perhaps makes it less likely to be a scam but is it likely that someone will have 450 worth of genuine amazon gift vouchers?

Currently the item has only been bid up to 30 - perhaps buyers are wary of this one. As it stands the winning bidder could get the bargain of the century if the item is genuine but if there's a rally at the last minute (it closes thursday at 2pm) the winner could find themselves out of pocket if it turns out to be a scam.
I WOULD AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAGUE
Be Fab not Fat in 14 - 72.5 lbs lost to date
SW awesome in autumn challenge 2.5/10
Stitching - 4 owls, New York, World, historical costume, owl collection
Books -
Audio for walking -The Victory(12) (Cynthia Harrod Eagles)
Bedtime reading - the 100 year old man who climbed.....
# 3
MrSaver
Old 22-08-2006, 9:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

it's the !!!!! lol
# 4
alexpeck
Old 22-08-2006, 10:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Too dodgy for me too =o)
# 5
Print Screen
Old 22-08-2006, 10:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

0 feedback seller, newly registered, high value item.

SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!
# 6
mike230652
Old 23-08-2006, 12:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Jeeeeeeeeez..how many times do people need to be told...OF COURSE IT'S A SCAM....................who in their right mind would even consider buying a high value voucher from a ZERO feedback eBayer........AND they want the winner to meet them face to face?????????? What...so they can smack him / her in the mouth and leg it with the cash????

Please don't tell me you're really that dim that you'd even consider bidding on this....I can see it now ...just after the auction ends and the winner tries to spend the vouchers....................

" I lost £440 in eBay scam...can you help / advise please? " :-)

Mike
if i had known then what i know now
# 7
Poppycat
Old 23-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The highest bidder anwarb2005 is also buying these cards too, scam all the way

Theres a voucher scam post here

Last edited by Poppycat; 23-08-2006 at 1:02 AM.
# 8
vianna
Old 23-08-2006, 8:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a sort of OT question, when did Newcastle upon Tyne move to North Yorkshire, I live near Newcastle and last I looked it was still in the same place.

Oh yeah and I agree with all above it's a scam, if it's too good to be true it usual is (or your dreaming)
Nice to save.
# 9
aqueoushumour01
Old 23-08-2006, 9:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There was no way I was ever going to bid on it. Just thought I'd put it here as it looked very suspicious. On a related topic, why do people pay e.g. £4.93 for a gift voucher worth £5? I almost always see vouchers being bid virtually all the way up to their actual value (One time I saw one person bid £10.03 for a voucher worth £10!) Given that you have to spend time bidding, paying and then worrying whether the voucher will turn up in the post, is it worth it?
Closed Thread