Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > House Buying, Renting & Selling > Mouse problem landlord or tenant's responsibility... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Mouse problem landlord or tenant's responsibility?
Closed Thread
Views: 12,363
# 1
chucknorris
Old 25-05-2010, 2:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Mouse problem landlord or tenant's responsibility?

My tenant emailed me yesterday to say she saw a mouse in her bedroom and was so worried she couldn't sleep. I wasn't sure who's responsibility it was but as I wasn't sure and it wasn't a big expense I took responsibility and went to the property and laid poison and traps.

But just out of interest who's responsibility is it? I couldn't get a clear answer from internet searches but picked up clues that it may have been down to the landlord. My wife and parents think it is the tenants but I actually think it is the landlords. I called environmental health but they said it would take them 5 days and due to the tenants concern I thought it best iof I dealt with it straight away.
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
Chuck Norris can touch MC Hammer
2014 fitness campaign: Jan 2013 weight: 80kg Target weight: 70kg (was 73kg), current weight: 72kg.After running injuries I now also cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.
The Following User Says Thank You to chucknorris For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
G51shopaholic
Old 25-05-2010, 2:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As the landlord is is your responsibility. Unless the mouse is an escaped pet.

But any damage to tenants possessions isn't your responsibility as a mouse infestation is an unforseen event.

Best to get a professional exterminator in to check over the property to find how the mouse got in.

I worked for a Letting Agency in Glasgow City Centre and mice were a common occurance as they lived in the walls of this very old property! Didn't help that other building occupants left loads of rubbish around.
The Following User Says Thank You to G51shopaholic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
moromir
Old 25-05-2010, 2:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Look at your tenancy agreement, is the property being used in a tenant like manner? Ie food left lying around? Bins left unemptied etc?

You may also find this thread useful - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=2488901
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moromir For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
chucknorris
Old 25-05-2010, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51shopaholic View Post

But any damage to tenants possessions isn't your responsibility as a mouse infestation is an unforseen event.

Best to get a professional exterminator in to check over the property to find how the mouse got in.

I worked for a Letting Agency in Glasgow City Centre and mice were a common occurance as they lived in the walls of this very old property! Didn't help that other building occupants left loads of rubbish around.
I did want the environmental health dept to deal with it, they quoted me 96 which I thought sounded ok, but they said in 5 days time which would have worried my tenant who was clearly upset about it. When I mentioned this they actually said we will only put poison and traps down which you can do yourself, which I did.

I also notified the tenants where these where (in case there were any visiting pets or children) and also had a good look around the outside of the flat but could not see any obvious access points (it's a first floor flat with a concrete floor).

I was thinking of just leaving it for now and see it that's the end of it, then get professionals in if not.
2014 fitness campaign: Jan 2013 weight: 80kg Target weight: 70kg (was 73kg), current weight: 72kg.After running injuries I now also cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.
# 5
chucknorris
Old 25-05-2010, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moromir View Post
Look at your tenancy agreement, is the property being used in a tenant like manner? Ie food left lying around? Bins left unemptied etc?

You may also find this thread useful - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=2488901
They are very good and clean and tidy, so no issues there, which was why I was ok with immediately taking on the responsibility
The Following User Says Thank You to chucknorris For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
moromir
Old 25-05-2010, 3:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It is worth noting that mice are extremely agile critters. I had a friend who found a mouse drowned in his toilet - the drainage guy found evidence of mouse infestation in the sewerage system under the development, one can only assume it tried to swim!

If its a flat development there will also be the problem of the communal refuse site, where is this in relation to your flat? Is it being maintained properly? (ie metal bins with lids that arn't filled so much they dont' close, debris on the floor etc?).

Also depends on the location and where the flat is - but if its ground floor - is she leaving her doors open with the nice weather? My parents live in the countryside backing on to open fields and on more than one occasion we've found a dormouse looking at us innocently from the middle of the rug! We just caught the little !!!!!!s in a jam jar and put them back in the field!
# 7
elfen
Old 25-05-2010, 3:45 PM

It's your responsibility to deal with poison/traps/extermination, but theirs to ensure nothing is being left out for them to eat
** Total debt: 6950.82 May NSDs 1/10 **
** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
**SPC 2012 #1498 -152 and 1499 ***
I do it all because I'm scared.
# 8
chris_m
Old 25-05-2010, 4:28 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moromir View Post
It is worth noting that mice are extremely agile critters.
They can also get through VERY small holes - their skulls are not fused so they can actually squeeze through a hole as small as a pencil !!!
# 9
BitterAndTwisted
Old 25-05-2010, 4:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Also if there are building works going on nearby the mice very sensibly decamp to somewhere more amenable. You appear to have done all you can for the moment but I'd ask the tenant if you could pop back round and see if you can spot anywhere obvious that they may be getting in. Considering how small a gap they need this won't be particularly easy.
# 10
madeupname1
Old 25-05-2010, 5:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

A number of posters have said its the landlord's responsibility but I am not sure that is the case. On landlordzone, the view seems to be that the first step is to check to see if any provision is made in the tenancy agreement about it. In the event it is not, it is probably best to discuss responsibility for this issue going forward. Whilst I understand tenant's distress, this is not a problem LL can necessarily police ...
# 11
Freddie_Snowbits
Old 25-05-2010, 5:08 PM
PPR

My cat is available at very competive rates

He is a proud mouser.
# 12
trynsave
Old 25-05-2010, 5:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Haven't got a clue whose responsibilty it is, but can I add that where there is one mouse there are more likely to be more. They just don't seem to travel on their own!

When we had mice we laid the traps (snickers are best by the way), but also called in the guys from the council. They laid traps round the downstairs which didn't kill the mice straight away, but let them gnaw at the poison blocks and take some home for the family - generous hey. Anyway when the blocks stopped showing signs of being gnawed we knew the mice had gone to a better place .

We now have some of those gizmos that emit a high frequency to keep them away. So far so good (and they also deter spiders which is a big plus).
# 13
mazza111
Old 25-05-2010, 5:30 PM

oh I'm so glad of summer. I live with a rail line down the backgarden, with all the ground movement, the little field mice like to come in where it's warm, where my toothless (well she's lost a few over the years) cat likes to play with them. She can't kill them properly because of the lack of teeth and trying to find where she's stashed them is impossible!

Would check for signs of mouse droppings in cupboards before I set traps just in case it's a one off due to nearby building works or something. Any signs of droppings and the traps would be out.
4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter
# 14
martindow
Old 25-05-2010, 5:42 PM

If you are laying poison it is important to keep putting it down until the mice stop taking it. If it is only put down once, they may not be killed and can develop resistance to the poison.
# 15
chucknorris
Old 25-05-2010, 6:27 PM

Thanks everyone, well I will wait and see what happens now, possibly check at the weekend and replenish the poison
# 16
roses
Old 25-05-2010, 7:05 PM

Buy a mouse repeller, I had a huge issue with mice last year & was getting them on a regular basis. I have not seen a peep since I bought this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pest-Stop-Pr...4810689&sr=8-1

Mice can be a real pain. They ate the poison in my house but didn't die. Wax traps were the only things that worked but it involved catching them the next morning then killing them

I had no luck at all with humane traps.
The Following User Says Thank You to roses For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
tbs624
Old 25-05-2010, 7:07 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51shopaholic View Post
If the T is failing to act in a "tenant like manner" then his/her actions or omissions may mean that s/he has to take responsibility.

ChuckNorris appears to have acted as a good responsible LL. Given the damage which mice can do to your property its the best way forward, along with unequivocal anti-mice/rat advice to occupying tenants
Closed Thread