Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 30th Jan 05, 11:58 PM
    • 8,094Posts
    • 42,221Thanks
    MSE Martin
    PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged
    • 30th Jan 05, 11:58 PM
    PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged 30th Jan 05 at 11:58 PM
    Welcome to the new forum. The aim is to list all the free competitions that are around, after all if it's free and you win it - then it's good MoneySaving.

Competitions can be found anywhere and everywhere. Online, in shops, magazines on the TV. Providing they're open to everyone (ie not invite only) then do post them here.

So do scan the web and report a contest. Hopefully a MoneySaver will win. If you're entering online contests, then its worth using a separate e-mail address, it'll stop the risk of spam emails. Just set up a Hotmail, Yahoo or MSN address.

1. Competitions must be open to all If you are invited specially to do a competition with a code, and the competition isn't open to all. Please do not post the codes here, that is breaking terms and conditions of a competition runner and could be seen as incitement to breach contract. (something neither I nor the poster want).

2. Free Competitions Only. This is a not a place to advertise competitions you have to pay to enter. I will accept limited cost text message type competitons (though frankly they're usually naff apart from in special circumstances) where they cost up to £1.50 to text to enter, but generally I would say make sure they are free.

MSE UPDATE OCT 2013: Many paid-to-enter competitions now cost more to enter. We've asked Competitions Board users the limit they feel is appropriate in this poll and have increased the maximum cost to £2.10. Please remember we don't encourage forum users to spend money on competitions but if you still feel you absolutely must enter these competitions then that's fine.

3. No Pyramid Selling. Pyramids where - if you join a list - you may get a X, Y, Z are absolutely no part of this board, or any board on the site. I don't want them here please report them if you spot them.

4. Where did you spot the competition? If you spot a competition it'd be helpful for everyone to know where you got it from. It helps them know how legitimate it is for them to enter.

5. Report your winnings. If you win, we want to know. It's fun - so please use the I WON I WON board to report your winnings.

6. Include the closing date in the title. Please include the closing date of the competition in the title of the thread you are starting. This way once it is closed it can be moved to the 'Game over' board

7. No Vote For Me Competitions. Please do not post vote for me competitions, they are not allowed on this forum.

8. No Bumping Of Posts. Please do not just bump posts for the sake of it. This disrupts the boards.

9. No Advertising Of Own Websites. This site is free from advertising. Posts on any board considered to be advertising goods, services and/or companies will be removed. This includes the posting of a competition from your own site or from a site that you are employed by. We also do not allow advertising via PM. Examples of this can include anything from a specific sales post or a link to your own website in which you attempt to sell something to someone offering their holiday home to forum members. Unfortunately we cannot allow any advertising of any description no matter how honourable the intention.

And as always please be nice to other MoneySavers.....

Martin
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 25-10-2013 at 1:00 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 3
  • nash0819
    Interesting read on this thread. If you want to anonymise your links and hide referral information, you can use a website like http://anonym.to

e.g. to link to the BBC News main page, you could do this: http://anonym.to/?http://news.bbc.co.uk

This would stop the referral being shown as MSE. The downside is that the person who clicks on the link sees a short "you are being re-directed to..." webpage before being automatically forwarded to the right place.
    Many tx to all who post constructively in the Comps & other forums!
    • Helpmesave
    • By Helpmesave 7th Mar 09, 7:55 PM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 48,533 Thanks
    Helpmesave
    Have tried to follow the advice on here by posting description in my own words, plus a link to the site, but someone often comes along and adds the copied terms and conditions in another post. Anybody else found this?
    • isitenough
    • By isitenough 8th Mar 09, 1:02 PM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 43,793 Thanks
    isitenough
    I think the T&C's are OK as they set out what we're supposed to abide by (so to speak!). I am guilty of adding T&C's (if they're not there) but only for things that require dates/accom/flights like holidays/weekends away etc...
    Thank you to everyone who posts comps!
    I would like to be lucky,healthy & happy in 2015!
    • twotimes
    • By twotimes 31st Mar 09, 11:23 PM
    • 6,403 Posts
    • 668,589 Thanks
    twotimes
    And email address subject headers would have to be posted for those that don't have Outlook/Live Mail etc as they won't get to see them if its automatically done from the competition web site.
    Originally posted by kipper
    I'm not sure if this is true for all browsers, but if you hover over the email link, the necessary information should be displayed at the bottom of the browser in the grey box.

Most competitions I see on here have the email address and subject posted in the thread even when the absence of outlook is not a problem as all details are clearly written out on the website. I'm not sure if this thread means they are not allowed or just the link.:confused:
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 24th Apr 09, 10:04 AM
    • 7,742 Posts
    • 19,437 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Free to enter competitions only please
    Hi everyone

Just a reminder that this board's for comps that don't cost anything to enter. If there's a no purchase necessary route that's fine but other than that we don't want to encourage people to spend money entering something they aren't guaranteed to win.

Thanks!

Andrea

Update:

To clarify, I'm re-iterating what Martin's said when he first set the board up, that where possible competitions should be entirely free to enter, but that some cost, such as a stamp, a postcard or a text are fine as obviously these can be done free eg if you have inclusive texts on your phone.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 29-04-2009 at 5:01 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • princessmoneysaver
    • By princessmoneysaver 24th Apr 09, 10:45 AM
    • 15,522 Posts
    • 320,208 Thanks
    princessmoneysaver
    Does that mean the postals/text thread will be deleted? I for one love that thread due to having many wins from it, thanks xx
    2016 Competition wins - DVDx2, Tic Tac Toe Game, Tastecard, Bird feeding kit, 1000 swagbucks, Apron & Teatowel, £25
    • sparky61
    • By sparky61 24th Apr 09, 11:01 AM
    • 10,281 Posts
    • 24,802 Thanks
    sparky61
    Does that mean the postals/text thread will be deleted? I for one love that thread due to having many wins from it, thanks xx
    Originally posted by princessmoneysaver

I hope it's allowed to stay, there are some great comps on that thread, fingers crossed
  • xoxlauraxox
    I love the postals thread too & would be really sad to see it go. It is seperate to the others for those who do want to buy stamps (I know a lot of people get stamps free too so not costing anything)
    Thanks to everyone that posts
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 24th Apr 09, 11:11 AM
    • 11,392 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I think that'll be ok, but it's just recently we've had Doritos, Kit Kat, Magnum, Pepsi, Coca Cola, Kettle Chips, Snack A Jacks and I posted a Diesel one which got deleted.

I guess if, let's say, I went and bought a product that has this offer on and I had a code that was universal, eg anyone could use it, more than once, like we did with Snack A Jacks, that's ok as nobody has to buy stuff. But it's when people have been buying like 50 boxes of Magnum in the hope of winning...mind you, nobody is forcing them to buy anything so if they don't want to spend money they dont have to, and any competition, we know we're not guaranteed to win...
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • look after the pennies
    • By look after the pennies 24th Apr 09, 11:11 AM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 20,899 Thanks
    look after the pennies
    Yes, please don't take the postal and text comp thread away. I enjoy doing those and it's my decision whether I fork out for the cost of stamps or not. Comping is a hobby for me and every hobby costs somethign now and again!!
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 24th Apr 09, 11:14 AM
    • 11,392 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Andrea, any chance of making this a sticky so more people can see it and participate?
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • Munchkim
    • By Munchkim 24th Apr 09, 11:19 AM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 67,165 Thanks
    Munchkim
    I think that'll be ok, but it's just recently we've had Doritos, Kit Kat, Magnum, Pepsi, Coca Cola, Kettle Chips, Snack A Jacks and I posted a Diesel one which got deleted.
    Originally posted by Flickering Ember
    But most of those (when the thing we have to buy is on offer) cost less than the maximum text price Martin states in his rules.

It'll be sad if they have to stop as there are some good ones coming up over the summer for minimum outlay and we are all aware that we have to take personal responsibility for our spending on our comping hobby.

Please don't take this away from us just because of a story about someone spending £1k on icecreams, we're MSE'ers here and proud of our money saving skills but if we are buying something and we're told there is a competition on it from here then we know to look for the products with the codes on we need rather than just take any off the shelf
    Just become FTBs Aiming to be mortgage free by 2034

Thank you to all who post on the comps/freebies forums
    you've helped us save our deposit
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 24th Apr 09, 11:27 AM
    • 11,392 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Good point Kim. As if you need an excuse to buy some of the stuff that's had competitions on lately anyway?
    • keletubbie
    • By keletubbie 24th Apr 09, 11:29 AM
    • 615 Posts
    • 4,925 Thanks
    keletubbie
    I hope this wasn't prompted by my mention of the mega Magnum muncher!

I think a provision should be made for comps with on-pack codes - very often these are on products we all buy anyway, such as snacks, soft drinks, loo roll, etc. If a user fancies switching brands for a few weeks in the hopes of winning a prize, surely that's ok?

You're not really paying money to enter - even if you don't win, you still have a packet of crisps/ice cream/can of coke...
    Best wins: Luxury weekend in Russia, family holiday to France, catered BBQ for 20, Selfridges shopping spree!
    • look after the pennies
    • By look after the pennies 24th Apr 09, 11:31 AM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 20,899 Thanks
    look after the pennies
    Also, we are money saving whilst entering the purchase neccesary competitions as we inform each other of the best bargains. For example, a box of magnums for £1 from either Lidl and Morrisons. Big bags of Doritos are on offer for £1 at Asda and Tescos at the moment.
    • Munchkim
    • By Munchkim 24th Apr 09, 11:34 AM
    • 5,352 Posts
    • 67,165 Thanks
    Munchkim
    Also, we are money saving whilst entering the purchase neccesary competitions as we inform each other of the best bargains. For example, a box of magnums for £1 from either Lidl and Morrisons. Big bags of Doritos are on offer for £1 at Asda and Tescos at the moment.
    Originally posted by look after the pennies
    Don't forget the Pepsi is £1.29 for 6 cans or 3 for £3 on the bottles in Sainsbury's at the moment
    Just become FTBs Aiming to be mortgage free by 2034

Thank you to all who post on the comps/freebies forums
    you've helped us save our deposit
  • chaddy7604
    Don't forget the Pepsi is £1.29 for 6 cans or 3 for £3 on the bottles in Sainsbury's at the moment
    Originally posted by Munchkim
    Wrong thread
    • Mamzie
    • By Mamzie 24th Apr 09, 12:20 PM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 17,818 Thanks
    Mamzie
    I asked about this ages ago on the comp discussion thread, along with BarnebySue after the Gilette comp was deleted. I hope they can stay maybe with a warning not to go ott on them. I always thought it was lotto type comps that were banned, not the grocery purchase required ones ( as long as the item was reasonable to buy and not £100s). Kinda been guided by the text cost, and these cost a lot less than £1.50, with the bonus of still getting the goods to keep.

I def think the postal & text thread should stay, my dh is hooked on that now, and often its just a stamp.
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx
    • Mamzie
    • By Mamzie 24th Apr 09, 12:22 PM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 17,818 Thanks
    Mamzie
    Maybe we could at least have a small purchase required to enter thread???

It really helps when people post the different offers that are in various shops when a comp is running, plus you know to look out for certain brands then as well.
    Last edited by Mamzie; 24-04-2009 at 12:25 PM.
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx
    • purplebutterfly
    • By purplebutterfly 24th Apr 09, 1:58 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 13,330 Thanks
    purplebutterfly
    Surely if you are buying something with the possibility of a win as a bonus, then you are not paying to enter the competition?

You are paying for the product and the competition is just an added extra.

Paying to enter a competition implies that you pay the money and get nothing in return - whereas in the case of the Magnum comp, you get to make yourself sick with ice cream and then swear off Magnums for life (or is that just me?)

Seriously, anyone who goes overboard buying products they don't want in the hope of winning something, is just an idiot.

Please don't take away the phone/text/postal comps either. I think we are all sensible enough to know not to blow the budget on comps
    Living with Lupus is like juggling with butterflies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

756Posts Today

5,129Users online

Martin's Twitter