Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Competitions Time > Compers Chat Corner > PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - me... (Page 20)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PLEASE READ - Posts by the MSE Team and BG's - merged
Closed Thread
Views: 444,029
# 381
Flickering Ember
Old 23-01-2013, 4:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornishpasty1 View Post
if it's not too complicated, the ideal would be tick for done, skip for something you want to go back on later (perhaps ie comp not loading) and X for not interested in
I agree as it's time consuming to subscribe and to unsubscribe and email notifications don't work anyway!
Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flickering Ember For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 382
fnc63
Old 23-01-2013, 6:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornishpasty1 View Post
if it's not too complicated, the ideal would be tick for done, skip for something you want to go back on later (perhaps ie comp not loading) and X for not interested in
Quote:
Originally Posted by djl View Post
I agree its a good idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickering Ember View Post
I agree as it's time consuming to subscribe and to unsubscribe and email notifications don't work anyway!
i disagree
there ya go 2 against 1, almost evened it out for bringing up 5 month old posts again

there is a tick to show its done
the X is for not interested/skipping
and if you want to go back to something, bookmark it

2014 WTD ~ CH10OC50CW55PC10AB25BA120SB15OC30BC160BV105OC30CT2 0GC10GB100

Apparently everything has a happy ending and if you havent arrived at the happiness, it hasnt ended yet

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fnc63 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 383
MSE Andrea
Old 13-08-2013, 9:50 AM
Forum Editorial Liaison

Default Expired button

Hi all

There's some confusion over when to use the expired button and some compers have asked for clarification.

It's to be used to move expired competitions only.

To help prevent people accidentally entering a competition twice please continue to send merge requests for duplicated competitions to board guides.

Thanks

Andrea

Follow the Forum on Twitter and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to MSE Andrea For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 384
Luckyone
Old 13-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanks Andrea

(sneeks back in & say's it's a shame we can't use the expired button to get the self promotion posts off the forum & the dupes, as it is so quick. What we did last night was when a dupe is posted we got the link from the original post, put the link in the thread like we do now saying dupe original here, please click expired, so like that people can click the link to check it is a dupe then click expired. This worked really well with a self promotion comp last night, posted it was a self promotion obvious as the persons username was the blogs name, asked everyone to click expired, it went into game over & I brought it back onto the comp board as I am not linked to the site re listed it & all that was done within 5 mins)

xxx
This Post Has Been Sponsored By
Chocolate

Last edited by Luckyone; 13-08-2013 at 12:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luckyone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 385
fire**fly
Old 13-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

thank you MSE Andrea
Smiling is contagious you catch it like the flu,
when someone smiled at me today i
started smiling too,
i passed around the corner & someone
saw my grin & when he smiled
i realized i'd passed it on to him,
so if you feel a smile begin don't leave it
undetected let's start an epidemic quick &
get the world infected.。◕‿◕。
The Following User Says Thank You to fire**fly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 386
Barnabysue
Old 13-08-2013, 1:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to Barnabysue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyone View Post
This worked really well with a self promotion comp last night, posted it was a self promotion obvious as the persons username was the blogs name, asked everyone to click expired, it went into game over & I brought it back onto the comp board as I am not linked to the site re listed it & all that was done within 5 mins)

xxx
Isn't that just going to encourage people to post their own comps? If they know somebody will simply repost it they might as well be allowed to post it themselves surely? Just a thought.
Luck is believing youre lucky Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night Anonymous

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Barnabysue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 387
Moneybot
Old 13-08-2013, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks Andrea

(sneeks back in & say's it's a shame we can't use the expired button to get the self promotion posts off the forum & the dupes, as it is so quick. What we did last night was when a dupe is posted we got the link from the original post, put the link in the thread like we do now saying dupe original here, please click expired, so like that people can click the link to check it is a dupe then click expired. This worked really well with a self promotion comp last night, posted it was a self promotion obvious as the persons username was the blogs name, asked everyone to click expired, it went into game over & I brought it back onto the comp board as I am not linked to the site re listed it & all that was done within 5 mins)

xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabysue View Post
Isn't that just going to encourage people to post their own comps? If they know somebody will simply repost it they might as well be allowed to post it themselves surely? Just a thought.
Depends are we trying not to allow self promotion or make sure the self promoter doesn't get the thanks for posting the comp?
Three rules of fascism:-
1) Make stuff up
2) Shout it loudly
3) Kill people
Eddie Izzard for mayor of London 2020
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moneybot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 388
Luckyone
Old 13-08-2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
No because they would be told on the thread like now that self promotion is not allowed. It then goes to game over.Then they see their comp posted by someone on the forum & not connected to the company, so they would be more likely to Pm someone on the comp board to post their comp for them which is a win win situation

xxx
Chocolate
# 389
Barnabysue
Old 13-08-2013, 2:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to Barnabysue

Which we have been asked in the past not to do if I recall.
Luck is believing youre lucky Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night Anonymous

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnabysue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 390
Luckyone
Old 13-08-2013, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneybot View Post
Depends are we trying not to allow self promotion or make sure the self promoter doesn't get the thanks for posting the comp?
We are not allowing self promotion as the board rules say.

As for the thanks anyone can go into the game over section & post the comp on the main board as long as they are not connected to the company AND like I did link back to the first comp that was self promotion & ask people to check their thanks, which also gives the chance to click thanks on the bottom of the original posters comp so the self promotion person who first listed the comp also get the thanks

It's nothing to do with taking the thanks away from the first person, it's about getting good comps listed back on the boards for everyone to enter

Same as comps that are posted with the wrong title lay out, we all explain the correct way to post it but more than likely they don't do it so it goes into game over. Anyone can go in their re list the comp with correct details with a link to the original comp that was listed wrong to check their thanks & thank the original poster

xxx
Chocolate
The Following User Says Thank You to Luckyone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 391
Luckyone
Old 13-08-2013, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Which we have been asked in the past not to do if I recall.
Really? I have not seen that. Was their a reason why not to?

xxx
Chocolate
# 392
Moneybot
Old 13-08-2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
We are not allowing self promotion as the board rules say.

As for the thanks anyone can go into the game over section & post the comp on the main board as long as they are not connected to the company AND like I did link back to the first comp that was self promotion & ask people to check their thanks, which also gives the chance to click thanks on the bottom of the original posters comp so the self promotion person who first listed the comp also get the thanks

It's nothing to do with taking the thanks away from the first person, it's about getting good comps listed back on the boards for everyone to enter

Same as comps that are posted with the wrong title lay out, we all explain the correct way to post it but more than likely they don't do it so it goes into game over. Anyone can go in their re list the comp with correct details with a link to the original comp that was listed wrong to check their thanks & thank the original poster

xxx
But you are allowing self promotion!

It would encourage people to post self promotions competitions if they knew they would only get moved to GO and re posted!
1) Make stuff up
2) Shout it loudly
3) Kill people
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Moneybot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 393
Luckyone
Old 13-08-2013, 2:15 PM

But it would not be self promotion. Self promotion is if the person them self posts it

xxx
Chocolate
# 394
lilias
Old 13-08-2013, 2:15 PM

MSE really don't want us to collude with self promoters.

MSE Forum Manager
16-08-2011, 3:53 PM Official Forum Manager
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Posting Comps for Companies
Hi Folks

It has come to our attention that some companies are attempting to sidestep our Forum Rules on vested interest posting by agreeing certain members post competitions on their behalf. Let's be clear, we absolutely will not tolerate this, and if we find out this is still happening we have the option of banning not only the company from our forum, but also the user account in question.

Please don't do it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lilias For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 395
Luckyone
Old 13-08-2013, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilias View Post
MSE really don't want us to collude with self promoters.

MSE Forum Manager
16-08-2011, 3:53 PM Official Forum Manager
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Posting Comps for Companies
Hi Folks

It has come to our attention that some companies are attempting to sidestep our Forum Rules on vested interest posting by agreeing certain members post competitions on their behalf. Let's be clear, we absolutely will not tolerate this, and if we find out this is still happening we have the option of banning not only the company from our forum, but also the user account in question.

Please don't do it.

Thanks Lilias,

I really did not see this before.

So Scrap that then

So back to using the expired button to get the self promotions off the forum would be even more appropriate now then gets them off faster

xxx
Chocolate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luckyone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 396
Moneybot
Old 13-08-2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks Lilias,

So Scrap that then

So back to using the expired button to get the self promotions off the forum would be even more appropriate now then gets them off faster

xxx
No using the expired button only moves them to a different board. Self promotion should be reported to get deleted off the forum.
1) Make stuff up
2) Shout it loudly
3) Kill people
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moneybot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 397
Glad
Old 13-08-2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:

xxx
pm a BG with the correct end date to edit and move it back as other people do, if you repost it people will report it as a dupe

Quote:
Thanks Lilias,

So Scrap that then

xxx
no, report self promotion as other people do and the team will remove it, (sending it to GO is not getting it off the forums, only off the main comps board) the expire button is for expired comps

edit to add: sorry moneybot cross posted with you
I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Compers please read the Comping Guide

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide. Click HERE
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Glad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 398
Luckyone
Old 13-08-2013, 2:35 PM

Thanks Moneybot & Glad,

Pleased I brought it up now because I had no idea you could PM a BG to get the comp out of game over & back listed on the main comp board with the correct title

When you report a post as self promotion do you just write posted as self promotion? sounds daft but there are so many title options I was not sure

xxx
Chocolate
The Following User Says Thank You to Luckyone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 399
mjm3346
Old 13-08-2013, 2:52 PM

Quote:

When you report a post as self promotion do you just write posted as self promotion? sounds daft but there are so many title options I was not sure

xxx
Yes I just put posted as self-promotion (I also point out if the user name is self-promotion), one last night was removed quite quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjm3346 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 400
fire**fly
Old 13-08-2013, 2:53 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

what do we do about the daily mags that are duped then please?
Cornish pasty always asks we press expired to send them to GO
& it's been working well, but if we're not to expire dupes now what do we do about the daily dupes
Smiling is contagious you catch it like the flu,
when someone smiled at me today i
started smiling too,
i passed around the corner & someone
saw my grin & when he smiled
i realized i'd passed it on to him,
so if you feel a smile begin don't leave it
undetected let's start an epidemic quick &
get the world infected.。◕‿◕。
The Following User Says Thank You to fire**fly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread